Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Kitchen Help

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
So I have a current budget of $7K to get started on my outdoor kitchen island. Will be U-shaped, 16' on the base of the U, and the legs will extend 4' each. 

One of the legs will be up against the house to make it easy to plumb in a sink. Plan is to have the XL BGE in the corner away from the house, the LBGE in the 16' base of the U, along with a built-in 36" SS Blackstone grill, a 60KBTU power burner, a built-in gas grill, and eventually a Forno Bravo wood fired pizza oven on the short leg next to the XL. That way all of the heat producing stuff is away from the house. 

I plan to pour a 6" concrete base, and then build the island out of concrete block then cover with veneer stone. Does this make sense? Can the veneer stone be applied directly to the block?

Counter top will be remnant granite from a local yard, they have a great selection. It will also be dual height to allow bar stools on the backside for people to eat up at, and allow the installation of electrical outlets and LED rope lighting. 

I am also looking for some input on the grill. Prefer all SS, must have infrared rotisserie burner in the back, and looking for something around $2K. 

I know I won't be able to get everything I am wanting 

By my calculations I am looking at 1 1/3 yds of concrete for a 6" thick pad. Steel studs are cheap and cement board isn't all that much either. 

I don't plan on having holes cut in the counter top for egg insertion, but rather will bring the counter top up close to allow sliding the eggs in/out as needed, ease of cleaning, etc. 

I also plan on installing the SS doors, drawers, outdoor fridge, etc and am looking for a good source for these items as well. Currently looking at Bull Outdoor Products, but always open for input. BBQGuys have a great selection but seem to be kind of expensive. 

Thanks for any and all input. 

Mike
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I have to admit. A sketch would help clarify.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    If you go the block route, you only need 4" blocks. Blocks will need a scratch coat applied after laying. Then the veneer will have something to knit to.
    You'll have to search around for prices on the SS stuff.  I used BBQguys for my grill and propane cabinet.
    I went with the block over the steel studs and cement board as it was pretty much a wash as far as costs.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Personal opinion- skip the fridge. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth and a cooler or tub works better for events.  But sounds awesome and I'm jealous- sure it will be amazing.
    Greensboro, NC
  • CTMike
    Based on reading reviews on Amazon and BBQGuys I thinking I am going with the Lion L75000 32" propane built in grill for $1,500. Anyone have any experience with these?

I will get some kind of sketch posted up tomorrow to help everyone visualize my thoughts. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Here is a basic Sketchup diagram of what I am thinking. The Pizza oven will not be built until next year due to funding. The grill will likely get moved to the right a little bit, to give more counter top next to the pizza oven, and make room to install an access door/paper towel holder between the wood storage bin and the grill doors. 

This will also make room for some more open shelving to the right of the grill for placesetters, grid racks, etc. There will also be a 2-drawer combo for utensils. 

To the left of the sink is a drop in icebox. The counter top behind the grill will allow some barstools/eating space. 

The dome of the pizza oven will have a gable house type structure enclosing the dome (hiding it from view), and the entire island will be covered with some type of veneer stone.

I appreciate any input. For the grill I decided on the Lion L75000 32" propane grill based on tons of positive reviews on Amazon and the lifetime warranty. I am only putting a grill in for the wife to use while I am not home.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Cool overall plan.  

My input would be to question the gasser.  Eggs are not the best at everything, but gassers are the best at nothing.

For frequent open lid cooks, like abts, or wings - I prefer a nice charcoal grill like a weber performer.  I have a nice gasser, and I refer to it as the cast iron seasoning center - that's all it's used for.

Whatever you do, best of luck and have fun

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I'd move the gasser. It shouldn't be the center piece for sure. 
  • CTMike
    Thanks for the input. I work rotating 12-hr shifts so the gasser is for SWMBO to cook up burgers and dogs for the grandkids when necessary if I'm at work. It will be moved to the right as much as I can, and one think I didn't include was a large power burner for boiling corn/lobster/etc. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Also looking at the egg in the corner, it might be hard to adjust the lower vent. 
  • CTMike
    edited June 2016
    Also looking at the egg in the corner, it might be hard to adjust the lower vent. 
    The gap in front of the XL is 14" wide, I think that should be plenty of room to reach in and adjust. Is there something I'm not seeing?

Also the plan is to build some type of structure over the entire island to minimize the amount of rain that hits it. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I like the SS gasser being the centerpiece.  Stainless steel is neat, clean, visually appealing and I use mine for quick cooks-burgers and the like- more than i thought.  Install as big of a sink as possible just as you do in a regular kitchen.  It will come in handy. It looks like you have a sliding trash bin which I have and really like.  Maximize storage space- use SS doors under any countertops that you can.  You will use it.  I put in a sunken ice bin which now I would not do again as I prefer more countertop space for prep.  I have a fridge and don't use it a whole lot, but my outdoor kitchen is very convenient to my indoor kitchen.  If there is distance between the 2 a frig will come in handy. I also have a double side burner next to my pit which I use a lot to blacken fish,sauces,etc, but perhaps the blackstone can do that. Looks nice and well though out.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I was wondering if you were going to have any of this covered, but it looks like you are. I have nothing to add other than to say I'm very envious. Plans look great to me. Good luck and I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    What program or website did you use to generate the sketch?
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Maybe add some drawers for foil and stuff. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • CTMike
    nth78 said:
    What program or website did you use to generate the sketch?
    I used Sketchup. It used to be a Google product but now seems to be owned by Trimble. The images of the Eggs, pizza oven, and SS bits are imported from 3D warehouse and are scaled to the proper size. 

Sketchup up is relatively easy to use and there are plenty of how to videos on YouTube. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    My sketch design has given me fiscality nightmares. It's so scary there's no definition!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nth78
    Question for you or anyone who has done a concrete block island? How do you do the cutouts for access doors and drawers?
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    JeffM said:
    I like the SS gasser being the centerpiece.  Stainless steel is neat, clean, visually appealing and I use mine for quick cooks-burgers and the like- more than i thought.  Install as big of a sink as possible just as you do in a regular kitchen.  It will come in handy. It looks like you have a sliding trash bin which I have and really like.  Maximize storage space- use SS doors under any countertops that you can.  You will use it.  I put in a sunken ice bin which now I would not do again as I prefer more countertop space for prep.  I have a fridge and don't use it a whole lot, but my outdoor kitchen is very convenient to my indoor kitchen.  If there is distance between the 2 a frig will come in handy. I also have a double side burner next to my pit which I use a lot to blacken fish,sauces,etc, but perhaps the blackstone can do that. Looks nice and well though out.
    Can you post some pics of your kitchen?   It sounds awesome. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    edited June 2016
    For @nth78.  Here is how the block were laid for the propane tank/trash can drawer.

Veneer being applied.

Scratch coat applied prior to stone veneer.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    not sure if you set in stone on your appliance selections. if you havn't checked out www.outdoorkitchendist.com you may find something you like.
    Pratt, KS
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Did all the stainless work on this
  • VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    CTMike said:
    The gap in front of the XL is 14" wide, I think that should be plenty of room to reach in and adjust. Is there something I'm not seeing?

Also the plan is to build some type of structure over the entire island to minimize the amount of rain that hits it. 
    It's also a pretty long reach to the handle, especially when the dome is up.  I pulled mine forward with a diagonal face.

Don't short yourself on counter space.  It looks a little pinched around the sink and large egg.

I thought long and hard about a gas grill, too.  Once I got the first egg, I never lit the gasser, not even for a quick cook.  SWMBO has only fired up the grill a few times in 25+ years.  I didn't even install one in "my" kitchen.  

• CTMike
    @VanDawg38

I hear you, but SWMBO has stated the price of admission to the outdoor kitchen club is a gasser. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited June 2016

Tspud1 said:
     @Tspud1 Did you use Durock or cement board over the PT lumber? I'm asking because I'm wondering if one holds up better than the other outdoors. Did you apply the veneer directly to the board, or apply a scratch coat? I plan on using the Laticrete MVIS system including the hydro barrier to prevent delamination due to ice/water buildup. Sadly I live in the Northeast so I have to take that into account. 

My plan is to use PT lumber for the majority of the framing, and concrete block under the pizza oven due to the weight involved. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    more countertop space.  You need a place to stage meat for smoking, pizza for rolling and well you just cant have enough countertop space outside
  • nth78
    more countertop space.  You need a place to stage meat for smoking, pizza for rolling and well you just cant have enough countertop space outside
    I would ditch the pizza oven.  There are two eggs which make really good pizzas.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    If you have to do a gas grill, oh well, so be it. I am looking into eventually doing an island like yours, but I think I will be a bit basic.

I am thinking counter space is important, undecided on a sink, space for 2 eggs, and a bin for ice to chill beers instead of an outdoor fridge.
  • Tspud1
    CTMike said:

Tspud1 said:
     @Tspud1 Did you use Durock or cement board over the PT lumber? I'm asking because I'm wondering if one holds up better than the other outdoors. Did you apply the veneer directly to the board, or apply a scratch coat? I plan on using the Laticrete MVIS system including the hydro barrier to prevent delamination due to ice/water buildup. Sadly I live in the Northeast so I have to take that into account. 

My plan is to use PT lumber for the majority of the framing, and concrete block under the pizza oven due to the weight involved. 

It was Hardyboard over the wood frame, carried at most building stores but probably is same as Duroc just another name. Scratch coat to apply the stone, just leave enough space for flange of stainless unless they are made to slide in and then screw into place on interior.
  • Tspud1
    You can add a small instant hot water heater under the sink if needed. Think about drainage or do a grey water tank under sink. What about a slide out LP tank or do you have gas plumbed to site?