Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When the ribs have to be low carb ... do you ....

Hub
Hub Posts: 927
I've got a rack of baby backs that are going to be ready in a couple of hours.  For weight loss reasons they have to be low carb, which means no traditional sweet BBQ sauce is allowed.  I've got a low carb mustard based, Carolina style sauce that is mainly mustard, apple cider vinegar and spices.  It's my go to low carb sauce.

However, I absolutely love traditional buffalo wing sauce, which is also low carb.  I pretty much eat it on anything and everything, but I've never sauced my ribs with buffalo wing sauce.  Has anyone here tried it? Would you dare? I did a google search and found others have and liked it, but never seen it discussed here.  All thoughts appreciated.
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited June 2016
    I've  never done it but I think it would be good. If your worried about being to spicy just add some more butter to it. I'm going to try it next time.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    It sounds like the perfect time to stop eating Popcicles and apply a nice spicy dry rub the way the Great Pork God indended. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Hub
    NonaScott said:
    I've  never done it but I think it would be good. If your worried about being to spicy just add some more butter to it. I'm going to try it next time.

I'm not at all worried about it being too spicy .. almost no such thing.  That is what ice cold beer is for.  I'm more worried about "confused flavors" so to speak.  Ribs should taste like ribs.  Wings should taste like wings.  The safe play would be to sauce them with my Carolina style sauce, but I love buffalo sauce so much I'm really tempted.  Surely someone here has tried it.
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Hub said:
    NonaScott said:

I'm not at all worried about it being too spicy .. almost no such thing.  That is what ice cold beer is for.  I'm more worried about "confused flavors" so to speak.  Ribs should taste like ribs.  Wings should taste like wings.  The safe play would be to sauce them with my Carolina style sauce, but I love buffalo sauce so much I'm really tempted.  Surely someone here has tried it.
    Maybe whip up some alabama white sauce and mix with the wing sauce. Bet that would be tasty and definetly low carb
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Personally I would hit them with the buffalo sauce---if I was you. If I was me, I would eat them dry, which is how I eat them all the time. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    The pepper in most sauces, when heated and grilled over fire, actually becomes sweet. You will have the "flavor" of the pepper but it tastes sweet. I added a touch of ghost pepper to my BBQ basting sauce the last time for the ribs and thought WTF! this gonna be too hot for the folks. But what finished was outstanding. No hint of the peppers or heat. 
    Just let it caramelize with the sugars. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    The ice cold beer throws the whole low carb thing out the window.

Lately, I have enjoyed dry ribs.
    Buffalo sauce is reserved for chicken here.

I would be on board with a Mexican rib paste marinade in a molcajete, FP, or blender with chipotles in adobo, seville orange or lime, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, Mexican oregano, chiles, cilantro, salt, pepp, roasted garlic, sauted onion in lard, achiote paste, cholula, etc.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Here Here on the dry rub.  Beer carbs don't count.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Lol... low carb. Go for a run. Burn more than u eat and eat what u want. 
  • Hub
    cheeaa said:

Why are you laughing at low carb? It's been scientifically proven over and over again.
  • Hub
    logchief said:
    Here Here on the dry rub.  Beer carbs don't count.
    I only drink an ultra light beer ... 2 carbs per beer.  It's not a problem.  In fact, a 12 pack has less carbs than your typical serving of traditional BBQ sauce .. which is why I started this thread.
  • cheeaa
    Okay. Good for science. I always give the people at my office crap for counting. It's sauce. 50 cals will probably ruin ur week. Just eat it and enjoy your life.  =)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Hub said:
    cheeaa said:

Why are you laughing at low carb? It's been scientifically proven over and over again.
    I think what he means is, if you are fat, it is because you eat too much and don't do enough hard work. 

If you eat normally and do some moderate exercise, you could eat pudding pops amd not gain weight. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    As already mentioned, ribs are meant to be dry rub only :)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Hub said:
    cheeaa said:

I think what he means is, if you are fat, it is because you eat too much and don't do enough hard work. 

If you eat normally and do some moderate exercise, you could eat pudding pops amd not gain weight. 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cheeaa
    Hub said:
    cheeaa said:

Thanks. Pretty much it. Sorry op. Keep doing ur thang. To each their own
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Did you give it  try?  If so, what did you think? I'm curious.....
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Depending on just how far you are trying to go with low carb. The small glaze that is set on most ribs won't have enough sugar to throw off your entire diet. Just don't eat a piece of white bread with it. 

If you are going for full ketosis then I get the desire for no carb though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    i know thisonly because i am a bat fastard.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Depends some on the brand of wing sauce. Some are very simple.  Just butter, vinegar, red pepper. I'm supposing most if not all the commercial stuff will sub. soy oil for the butter. Some have wooster in it, others have enhancers to suggest the pungency of bleu cheese.

The 1 kind I tried did not go well w. my standard rub of 1/2+1/2 Dizzy Dust and Swamp Venom.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    FWIW, most of the recent research shows that its not calories per se. Its concentration of dense carbs, such as sugar and refined flour products that trigger fat accumulation. Turns out savory is preferable to sweet, and that low fat foods whose flavor is boosted by sugars are the problem.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    most low carb diets are 50 to 150 grams a day, a sugar tsp is 4.2 =) a say eat the ribs and splurge, the weight gain will be from the salt but thats just a bump for a couple days =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it