Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Losing a lot of weight with the help of Vietnamese Food

Options
Didn't know there was a weight loss forum here, and I do notice that's it's buried at the bottom of the navigation. :)

In the interests of sharing, I recently lost a lot of weight having Vietnamese food as the basis of the diet. It centred around eating Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup) for breakfast, combined with exercise - a high protein kick to keep the metabolism going. It tastes really good, too.

The exact amount I lost isn't important, suffice to say it was enough to warrant purchasing an entire new wardrobe, something that my wife said I should have done years ago. It can be made at home, it's quite long winded to make (and doesn't use a BGE) but worth it. Details are on my food blog.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    I eat pho at least once a week, albeit beef and not chicken.  It's the single best-tasting dish I can find around here out of a restaurant.  Although it has the "recommended meat serving size" of a deck of cards (but sliced very thinly), I never considered it as a good weight-loss dish, because of the huge amount of noodles.
    Are rice noodles much lower in carbs than wheat noodles?   :|

I haven't made my own as, like you said, it's a long process.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
     Congratulations. Pho is my favorite. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,066
    Options
    Botch said:
    I eat pho at least once a week, albeit beef and not chicken.  It's the single best-tasting dish I can find around here out of a restaurant.  Although it has the "recommended meat serving size" of a deck of cards (but sliced very thinly), I never considered it as a good weight-loss dish, because of the huge amount of noodles.
    Are rice noodles much lower in carbs than wheat noodles?   :|

I haven't made my own as, like you said, it's a long process.  
    I believe that rice and wheat noodles have similar carbohydrate content. Rice noodles are, by definition, gluten free and also don't use eggs to make them.

If you find the time, it is worth making it at home imho. It is a lengthy process, but I have it nailed down to some simple steps that require little maintenance. It's not 100% authentic, but close enough.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I order pho without noodles fairly frequently, both beef and chicken variants.  Some of the restaurants here will also put extra vegetables in the pho in lieu of the noodles.  I also add extra sprouts.  I don't really miss the noodles.
    NOLA
  • Guinn N Egg
    Options
    I have a great Pho restaurant near my office.  I go in and order the Pho with no noodles.  One of the first times I went up to pay the owner was there who weighs all of a 110 pounds and he says "no noodles" and I said yes I'm trying to stay away from the carbs...he looked at me and said "noodles no make you fat".  I told him I'd seen him in there eating noodles with his meal and if he keeps it up he's going to look like me!  I did ask him if there was sugar in the broth and he said no.  I said it tastes a little sweet and then he did say there was a little "rock sugar" in the broth.  Just FYI if you are trying to avoid sugar you might want to ask what's in the broth.  But if your making it at home no need to worry. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Pho is good stuff. 
    I buy mine in packets like Ramen noodles, available on Amazon by the case. Comes in chicken and beef flavors. I just add a tiny squirt of Sriracha and boy its good. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.