Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken wings...

dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
How to cook? Indirect? Direct? Grill height? When the wife comes home from visiting the grandsons, twins, she wants me to give wings a try. What's the deal with folks talking about corn starch?

Comments

• HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    I'm a fan of raised indirect at 275 - 300. Did these yesterday and they were awesome. Smoked. Chared them for about a minute.

Peanut oil
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Salt 
    Pepper
    Smoked paprika 
    Dizzy dust 

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    The Big Green Egg is a great thing, but not for wings.  If you REALLY want to impress your wife buy a cast iron dutch oven, fill it half way with peanut oil, heat the oil to 365 ... add your wings ... cook the little guys 10 minutes and the big guys 12.  Dump them into a large bowl ... add plenty of Frank's wing sauce .. whoop them around and spread evenly ... dump them on a plate and eat immediately.  Make sure you have plenty of ice cold beer on hand.  They will be far better than any wings you have ever had in any bar or restaurant. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    Wings off the green egg have been the best I've ever eaten.  My girlfriend says she can't enjoy them at her favorite wing place anymore.  It's been fun experimenting with different rub and sauce combinations too.
  • dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    I made a wing glaze last Saturday using the following and it was delicious:

1/4 cup Texas Petes Wing sauce
    1/4 cup Sweet Baby Rays sweet red chili
    2 tblsp honey
    1 tblsp butter
    1 tblsp Blues Hog Dry Rub

I put everything in a saucepan and heated it up. Glazed the wings at the very end and allowed 5 minutes for the sauce to set.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited May 2016
    Wings on the egg are awesome!  Overnight out in the fridge, rub/spices of choice, raised direct 375-400 for 45 minutes with just a little smoke wood, turn once and watch for hot spots (the back of the egg).  Sauce and toss when done.  If this isn't crispy enough for your taste, dust with cornstarch.  Better than deep fried.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    The corn starch helps dry out the skin and give you an almost fried crispness. It doesn't take much. Put some into a fine wire mesh strainer and dust the wings. I went raised direct at 325. I turned the entire grid at 30 minutes and flipped after an hour and cooked for another 15 minutes. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    I also do mine indirect at 350-375 after a marinade. I start skin side up, then flip them as they render and brown. Pull off egg and toss in a sauce as soon as they crisp up. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    bgebrent said:
    Wings on the egg are awesome!  Overnight out in the fridge, rub/spices of choice, raised direct 375-400 for 45 minutes with just a little smoke wood, turn once and watch for hot spots (the back of the egg).  Sauce and toss when done.  If this isn't crispy enough for your taste, dust with cornstarch.  Better than deep fried.
    +1 to all the above. I do the same thing.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I have never used cornstarch and my wings turn out great.  The key is to put them in the fridge over night with your rub on them to give them a sort of dry brine.  I put mine on a wire rack over a baking sheet to get the air to move all round them.  Raised indirect for about an hour at 400.  After 60ish minutes leave wings on grill but brush on your sauce if desired (I sauce only half bc most love just my rub) and let sit for another 5-10 min.  Then pull and enjoy.  They are not deep fried crispy, but they get a nice crispy skin.  For whatever reason I can not replicate the skin on a full chicken.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GratefulJason
    GratefulJason Posts: 37
    edited May 2016
    I also rub 'em down the night before and let 'em sit uncovered in the fridge. Then I go raised indirect at 400° with a tiny bit of smoke until they're crispy and cooked through. Then I hit 'em with some sauce, yank out the heat deflector, and put 'em back on to char.

Lately, I've been doing a blackening rub spiked with a bit of chili powder, then tossing them in a sauce made from a puree of chipotles in adobo, a squeeze of lime, and some honey or brown sugar. 

Made these a couple weeks ago. The one in the center is dry, the other two sauced. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    All great suggestions so far.  To be honest I usually just rub them right before I put them on and don't use corn starch and they come out fine.  If you have time to let them air dry in the fridge with the rub that is a bonus.  I have tried both indirect and raised direct and both are good.  I think indirect is my preferred method, or more specifically raised indirect.  I cook them high in the dome at about 400 and they will get nice and crispy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FWRealtor
    FWRealtor Posts: 57
    I cook poultry hot. Usually at 350-375 indirect. 
    Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Hub said:
    The Big Green Egg is a great thing, but not for wings.  If you REALLY want to impress your wife buy a cast iron dutch oven, fill it half way with peanut oil, heat the oil to 365 ... add your wings ... cook the little guys 10 minutes and the big guys 12.  Dump them into a large bowl ... add plenty of Frank's wing sauce .. whoop them around and spread evenly ... dump them on a plate and eat immediately.  Make sure you have plenty of ice cold beer on hand.  They will be far better than any wings you have ever had in any bar or restaurant. 
    Curious, @hub, if you're simply frying the wings, what does the egg do for the wings other than be the heat source for the oil? Is there any wood/smoke flavor imparted given 10-12 minutes in peanut oil?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Would like to thank you all,for your comments & advice. Looks like I now have an "excuse" to buy some gear from the Ceramic Grill Store. Like I really need an excuse to buy some bbq gear. I do need to buy Ernie a smaller pizza stone for her Medium. We only have a 15" one, pretty much blocks all the heat. She attempted to bake cookies with it. Thermoworks clipped to the grate read 375*, freshly calibrated dome thermometer read 200*...after it was running for close to an hour...
    Anyhow, thanks again folks....we will be trying all the different methods posted. I have a real I've for a really good "hot wing" sauce...if only I can remember where I put it...
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I keep it simple, rub 'em right before you put them on.  Indirect, 400F, no need to flip or do anything....crispy skin and perfectly cooked every time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• How long do you cook wings indirectly at 400 f?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    How long do you cook wings indirectly at 400 f?
    @PitMeisterV, at 400 it will take 30-40 minutes.  At 300 it takes about 75 minutes.  I just cook them somewhere in that range - wherever the egg settles in - and don't sweat the exact cook temp.  The challenge is getting them off in the short time after the skin gets crisp, but before the meat gets dry.  Then sauce them +/- return them to the egg for a couple of minutes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Hub said:
    Curious, @hub, if you're simply frying the wings, what does the egg do for the wings other than be the heat source for the oil? Is there any wood/smoke flavor imparted given 10-12 minutes in peanut oil?
    I don't cook them on the Egg.  I cook them on top of our gas stove in the kitchen.  I have grilled a few batches on the Egg as of late.  They were pretty good, but I still think I will always prefer my wings fried,
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia