Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When smoking do you place the wet wood chips on the lump coal or

RaySMS
RaySMS Posts: 42
do you put a bowl in the bottom to smoke?

Thanks

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Don't soak them and throw them on top. No need to overthink. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Mix them in. No soaking required

they can't burst into flame in the BGE
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Yeah just mix them in your lump when you are filling it. I do about 4 chunks and 2 handfuls of chips 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Like what everybody said above, chunks are better for low and slow cooks like ribs and pork butt.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    No chips, chunks in a ring around the fire.  Dry not soaked. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Agree with all the responses but permit me to say why soaking isn't needed. Actual research shows that soaked wood chips really don't get "soaked". Even if you do "soak" them then all that does it temporarily dampen your hot embers and turn the moisture to steam. The soaking is an urban myth at best.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bkhooegger
    bkhooegger Posts: 30
    I do not soak either, just mix throughout.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited May 2016
    Chips work as well as chunks 

in the BGE, soaking is not required because it is an oxygen limited environment 

the reason your fire holds 250 and doesn't run away, despite all that fuel, is due to the opening restricting incoming air (oxygen).

which means your wood (chips or chunks) cannot possibly ignote and run away, burning up 

if this seems counterintuitive, do this. Next time you're at say 400 degrees, open the lid and toss in some twigs or chips. Something that burns readily. Then shut the lid quickly

You'll see some quick flames. That's because the dome was open. 

The flames will die and suddenly the wood will snuff, flames out, and smolder. 

Now open the lid

the flames will ignite again with all the extra oxygen. 

Shut the lid, and while you are still at 400-500, the flames will eventually (within maybe 20-30 seconds) go out again

It is true that no matter what grill you have, soaked chips need to dry out before they ignite. But in a BGE, they can't ever ignite 

unless you have the done open (free air) or are running at super nuke temps. Say 600 plus

it's a low oxygen environment. The unused wood will become charcoal even if it never sees fire. Because low oxygen and extended burns will drive off all the moisture and non-carbon stuff and leave you with poor man's charcoal
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Chips are fine, and what I prefer on the egg.
    Chunks are for the kettles and WSMs.  I know all the chunks will burn on the Webers.  Chips are poof, and gone for reasons Darby mentioned....more airflow.  

Got tired of using chunks, and discovering after the cook that 50 percent of what I put in, was unlit.  And I tried to place them where the fire would burn.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    DMW said:
    There are other things to put in a bowl and smoke...

You got that right!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Depends on what I am cooking.   With salmon which is a very short 10-20 minute cook, I use alder wood chips that have been soaked for 20-30 minutes. For cooks involving chunks of wood (hickory, peach, apple, etc.), there is no reason to soak the wood.  The Virtual Weber Bullet forum has a very convincing video:  http://virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#soak 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    They make boats out of wood for a reason, because if they soaked up water so easily, they would be at the bottom of the lake. Dry wood chunks and chips are better for smoking and the egg.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Ok.  That on-going mystery is solved...for now.  Lets talk about fat cap up or down!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    The conventional thinking is that soaked chips keeps wood from bursting into flame, raising temperatures and leading to your smoke woods being used up too quickly

this is possible in most cookers which are not air tight 

this is not possible in the BGE, unless you give the fire more air (opening the lid for ex). Even then, the fire stops and returns to smokdering when the air flow is checked or choked

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Ok.  That on-going mystery is solved...for now.  Lets talk about fat cap up or down!
    The fat cap up or down argument is all wrong - the fat cap must be on the side!!!   =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Why would anyone soak wood chips for smoke?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    @yljkt   Check out my signature line.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    No offense to anyone here, but soaking produces steam only.  IMO if you soak, you don't understand fire.  I won't go as far as to say "If you soak, you suck."  But there is a kernel of truth there.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    soaking has its place though:  in a grill that isn't air tight; or when you soak a plank to delay the smoke (so your salmon can cook  bit before being swamped by too much cedar smoke, which can get too much too quick); or RRPs trick, which is to toss wet chips onto the coals if the fire has gotten too hot

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Raichlen says the added moisture (steam) from soaked smoke wood helps a smoke ring to form.  I always do what Raichlen says.  I'm growing out my hair so I can get a really sweet perm.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited May 2016

Truth is ... you can soak or not, either do/will work!

Don't fret over it, just do as you like and go with whatever you decide.

I've always used chunks for longer cooks...chips for shorter...mixing the chunks as I fill my egg.

More than anything...youre looking for a clean burning well ventilated fire...with very light colored whispy smoke.

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I starting buying smoking wood by the cord. I just use a stick of firewood and lay it on the lump. This way I get a mix and choose what I am in the mood for. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    So reading this string....I think the one thing all agree on is smoking is good.....no matter what and how you do it. B)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow