Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak 1 day sale at home depot

Comments

• Feenbo
    Feenbo Posts: 37
    I'm all over that - thanks for the heads up!
  • TxAggie
    TxAggie Posts: 35
    Yeah me too! In for 8.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    The sale runs from 05/19 - 05/25, not one day.  Limit 10 bags per order.  You like how they reduced the weight of the bag, and kept the same price per bag?  Just like coffee and ice cream and a number of other things.  Still getting in on this deal though.  With the reduced weight, I'll have more space to store more bags.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Thanks @Lit just picked up 10 bag max.  Good price.  
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Lit -  thanks for the heads-up.  I use RO for any cook where all I need are BTU's, like paella.  Will buy some today.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    500 said:
    The sale runs from 05/19 - 05/25, not one day.  Limit 10 bags per order.  You like how they reduced the weight of the bag, and kept the same price per bag?  Just like coffee and ice cream and a number of other things.  Still getting in on this deal though.  With the reduced weight, I'll have more space to store more bags.
    The website has todays date and says today only.
  • Same sign was on the display of RO.  Said today only.  10 bag max.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
    Not at my HD. 10 bags per order. Doesn't say max 10. 

Member since 2009
    Seeing two different things here.  The week ad says $12.97 for the week and the description says $7.88.
    Member since 2009
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    hmmm....should I buy more charcoal or not.  I have a few hundred lbs under my house
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    I'm gonna grab my 10! I'll definitely be able to put them to use, thanks!
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Thanks...I just took a break from work and load my trunk.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Newport65
    Newport65 Posts: 20
    Thanks for the heads-up.  I just went and got 5 bags....

Farmington, CT

LBGE

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I never get the limit restriction! Buy 10 and go out the door. Turn around go back in and buy 10 more and out the door. Does anyone really think HD gives a rats *ss as long as they move merchandise?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Thanks for the heads up! Orderd a few to supplement my existing stock. Can't beat that price.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Thanks...I just order 10 from web, will pick up on way home.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited May 2016
    Yes they do. If I stop by HD today to get a few bags (they only have 50 in stock) and they don't have any because Ron got there first and bought all they had, I will not be happy.  Unhappy customers go across the street to Lowe's to purchase their home improvement supplies.  They are trying to get you into the store because of the low price on lump, but they know most will buy other items while they are there. Profit margin on the sale priced lump is not that great.  They will be making money on the other items you buy.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2016
    RRP said:
    I never get the limit restriction!
    Ron, they have to put a limit on it or folks like you that have money would buy the whole store out =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Yes they do. If I stop by HD today to get a few bags (they only have 50 in stock) and they don't have any because Ron got there first and bought all they had, I will not be happy.  Unhappy customers go across the street to Lowe's to purchase their home improvement supplies.  They are trying to get you into the store because of the low price on lump, but they know most will buy other items while they are there. Profit margin on the sale priced lump is not that great.  They will be making money on the other items you buy.
    I know that - those are called loss leaders just to build traffic, but I was just saying outside of maybe the store manager I bet no other employee cares whether the same Joe buys 20 bags - that's all I was getting at.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Agree that most of the employees don't care how many you buy - as long as the company stays in business and keeps writing their paychecks.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Thanks... Grabbed 3 bags for shits and giggles 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Menards has the green and brown smaller bags of royal oak on sale for 4.88 (i think) this week as well. Its the USA origin charcoal. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2016

That's what put the old Home Quarters Warehouse "HQ" out of business in the 90's.  They would have those big "loss leader" blowout sales and a  big contractor would come clean out their entire shipment of sheathing, pavers, or whatever since it was cheaper than the contractor supply place.  Then the local smaller guy would come by to an empty shelf for the week, which sale or no sale, he needed.  They were bought out or merged with Builders Square, but the whole thing went under not too long after.

Also, I doubt there's any profit margin in this.  That's an incredible price for US made charcoal.  Knowing how much it costs to get from the forest to a store, that's an amazing price......load up while you can because someone is taking in the shorts on this one (manufacturer or retailer, or combination thereof.)
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    109 bags in stock at my local HD, just purchased 10. Thanks for the heads up!
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Thanks for the info-just ordered mine.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Thanks but no thanks...I am paying $17 for 40 pounds of Mesquite...often times each 40 pound bag only has 5 chunks....5 VERY BIG chunks...
  • Troykahack
    Troykahack Posts: 38
    On my way to Home Depot
    LBGE May 2016
    Ormond Beach, FL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Got my 10. Heading to another location now.  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Boom. I've been wondering forever if there was ever going to be a royal oak sale again. Walmart used to do big sales but I haven't seen it there forever. Been 2-3 years since I had an RO deal so THANK YOU for the heads up. 10 bags ordered. lame though that they dropped the weight. still a good deal.
  • RRP
    Menards has the green and brown smaller bags of royal oak on sale for 4.88 (i think) this week as well. Its the USA origin charcoal. 
    guess I missed that ad - thanks!