Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought my 1st brisket

Options
rk772
rk772 Posts: 31
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
Just bought this 12 pounder at HEB. I watched the BBQ with Franklin video on how to trim it. I plan on putting it on the egg about 2am to be ready for dinner tomorrow. I just hope I don't screw up a $41 hunk of meat.  I've gotta pick up some wood. What's best for brisket?
Ill post pics as I go along

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Any wood works fine! Just because Franklin says oak and salt and pepper doesn't mean that's what you have to do. Whatever wood you can get should work. Oak reminds me of camping and campfires. I don't like the smell so I don't use it. I like cherry and pecan. But whatever will work fine. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Personally I like oak or pecan for brisket.  Maybe even a mixture of the two.

Also, brisket holds for a very long time after it's cooked.  If you plan on eating dinner at 6pm you can plan to have a brisket ready at 2 or 3 PM and hold it in your oven or a cooler until it's time to eat.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I like oak and cherry. I like cherry with everything. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Congrats on your first brisket, looking forward to seeing the finished product.  

Btw I like cherry and a chunk of hickory with my brisket.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Whatever wood you choose will be just fine. I like to put plenty of wood in - brisket can take a lot of smoke. You probably already have a game plan but my advice would be to start your egg early, even a couple or more hours early, so you have it nice and stable. Just fill it up to the top of the fire ring and you'll have plenty of lump. I like 250-275 for temp. If you get a good stable fire going, you can sit back and enjoy the cook. Just don't stress about it - I did that way too many times when I started smoking brisket. Don't worry about screwing it up, you'll have some fine eating when you're done. Good luck!!!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Whatever wood you choose will be just fine. I like to put plenty of wood in - brisket can take a lot of smoke. You probably already have a game plan but my advice would be to start your egg early, even a couple or more hours early, so you have it nice and stable. Just fill it up to the top of the fire ring and you'll have plenty of lump. I like 250-275 for temp. If you get a good stable fire going, you can sit back and enjoy the cook. Just don't stress about it - I did that way too many times when I started smoking brisket. Don't worry about screwing it up, you'll have some fine eating when you're done. Good luck!!!
    Three easiest ways to screw up a brisket:
    1. Put on on the egg while it is heating up, when (depending on your lump) the lump is puking out bad smoke.  Per @minniemoh, let the temp stabilize first
    2. Let your temp get away from you (I am a dirty cheater with a Pit Boss, but vigilance also works)
    3. Let it cook too long - When it wobbles, it's done
    Good luck

PS - I am an oak or pecan guy for brisket.  I loathe cherry, but use fruit woods for pork

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    There is so much wisdom on this forum to answer any and all of your questions.  Personally, I would put it on at 11 PM and cook it at 225...  How long it will take is very unpredictable- that's one reason they are the holy grail.  You are far better off having it be done way too early, and your guests eat it at room temp with a warm sauce (delicious) then having hungry guests because you don't understand why the meat still isn't at temp.

Enjoy the journey...
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • minniemoh
    Options
    booksw said:
    There is so much wisdom on this forum to answer any and all of your questions.  Personally, I would put it on at 11 PM and cook it at 225...  How long it will take is very unpredictable- that's one reason they are the holy grail.  You are far better off having it be done way too early, and your guests eat it at room temp with a warm sauce (delicious) then having hungry guests because you don't understand why the meat still isn't at temp.

Enjoy the journey...
    That is exactly why I started going 250-275. It narrows the window for finish time dramatically in my experience. I've had a 12 lber go for 20 hrs at 225. At a slightly higher temp, they seem to be much more predictable at an hour(ish) a pound. The end result has been the same and I don't have to wait as long.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • rk772
    Options
    Does the temp probe go in the flat or point?
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thickest part of the flat. Don't worry about the temp of the point. There's so much fat in there, that the temp will be higher much sooner than the flat.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Don't worry about internal  temperature...  you are after "probe tender"
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    but don't make the mistake I made once when I found "probe tender" in the point!  It needs to be "like buttah" in the flat...
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Don't worry about internal  temperature...  you are after "probe tender"
    Doug is on the money here.  Go by feel.  When the meat feels like it is breaking down then it is done....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited May 2016
    Options
    These guys are awesome.
    The first brisket is basically a learning sacrifice that must be done to help you understand all the variables. If good fortune is with you, you have a delicious meal for many! If not, there are great brisket chili recipes to use.
    FWIW, I use a combination of sugar maple and pecan for a good smoke profile. I use fist sized chunks buried throughout the lump, which is loaded to the middle of the fire ring. I do a 225F pit/250ishF dome. I use my own rub, heavily, over the entire untrimmed packer. The probe typically goes in the thickest part of the flat, when it reaches 160F, I cheat! I inject with beef broth then wrap with butcher paper.
    The packer is loaded indirect, point towards the rear, fat side down, with the thinnest part of the flat covered in foil, facing the front
    With grades of Prime and above, I start probing around 190F. When the flat has zero resistance to the probe I pull, FTC for a couple hours. (I have kept it in FTC mode for 4 hours, and it was still very warm when pulled from cooler) Unwrap, trim the fat off, and serve.
    The brisket is done when it is done. The wrap will accelerate (shorten) the cooking time, by a lot. A 16- 20 hour cook becomes a 9-12 hour cook. 
    Good luck, have fun, and pace yourself on the adult beverages during the cook.
    Just one more thing; my most recent packer, I gave the least attention to, it was the best I ever made. Sometimes it just goes like that.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Here's a Cliff's Notes version of a brisket cook:
    The true keys to success are:
    1.  A good trim of the hard fat ala Franklin.
    2.  Rub of your choice.
    3.  Air gapped drip pan.
    4.  Stable fire at your desired cook temp with plenty of lump.  (I run in the 260+/- temp range and plan for around 1 hr/# but have seen quicker cooks).
    5.  Waiting for the "feel" in the thickest part of the flat to declare victory.  And not worrying if some of the flat doesn't probe as it should.
    6.  Paying no attention to the point.
    7.  Giving the cow around a 15-20 min rest if you FTC (stop the carryover cook).
    8.  Recognizing that the cow drives the cook.
    9.  Enjoying and adapting to the cook as it evolves.
    10.  Adult supervisory beverages to help with enjoying the SWMBO eggscape time.
    FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Man, I'd love to find a $41 prime brisket....
  • rk772
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It stalled last night for about 4 hours at 155* 
    Now, it's been stuck at 178* for over 2 hours. I bumped the grate temp up to 290* but the meat temp just doesn't want to budge
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Have patients.  I had stalls of 6-7 hours at 155-160. Are you wrapped/foiled with the temp increase?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• rk772
    Options
    No, I didn't foil it. It broke the 1st stall early this morning but I wasn't expecting what looks like a second stall at right around 180*
    ill see what happens over the next couple hours. If the temp still isn't coming up, I'll foil it
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you are at 290*F on the dome you should be good to go.  As you know, foiling will speed up the run to the finish-line but your bark will take a hit.  Just go with the feel in the thickest part of the flat and ride it home.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Once it decides to come out of that 180's stall, it will cruise nicely to the finish. If you can hold off, I wouldn't wrap it. That delicious bark is just worth the wait.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • rk772
    Options
  • lousubcap
    Options
    That's lookin mighty fine right there.  Enjoy the banquet that awaits.  Well-done.
  • rk772
    Options
    Not as juicy as I wanted but not too shabby for my 1st one. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Nailed it.  Congrats and enjoy the eats. Climb into the point and enjoy the fruits of your labors.  No better BGE cook than a brisket.  
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Beautiful, I'm drooling.  
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Congrats on your first one. Looks great.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You have tasted the blood my brother, you will never quench that hunger for brisket. Welcome to brisket perfection chasing hell. 
    Fabulous cook, beautiful presentation. 
    When @lousubcap ( the Kentucky ayatollah of brisket ) says you nailed it, you have done very well. Onward! 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @YukonRon -  you must be deep into the slushes... ;)
  • rk772
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. Our company wanted to-go bags so it must have been good.