Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guidance for beef tongue

Options
So the fiance is out of town this weekend on a girl's trip, so I decided to try something I don't think she would be thrilled to eat... Beef Tongue.

I'm hoping to stop by the butcher after work this afternoon to pick one up. I've been doing some research and a lot of recipes call for a brine/wet cure. Don't have the time for that, but I think I can make it work without it. Let me know what you think of my plan....

-Simmer/boil the whole tongue in water, with bay leaves, peppercorns, maybe some lemon. 
- Remove from liquid and cool enough to handle. Peel outer skin, remove any glands/dense fat/etc. 
-From here, treat like a brisket. Cover with mustard, season with S&P, or maybe Pastrami spices. Onto the egg at 275 or so until slicing tender. Was hoping to slice thin for sandwiches.

Any glaring issues you see in this plan? What internal temp should I be aiming for, 200ish?

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to grab plenty of pics along the way

Comments

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I would Look up Tony_and_maribel on instagram then shoot him a DM, he cooks beef tongue frequently and it always looks great. He is also on the weber and the BBQ brethen forum.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Guidance?

Don't
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I still have 2 in the freezer and haven't done anything with them yet. I like your plan. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    your plan sounds great.  if you want it tender, you definitely need a long cook of some sort.  the distal 1/3 of the tongue has little meat so you can pretty much lop it off. for the rest, it'll be clear what part is meat.  which, by the way, is delicious!  thanks for posting, this makes me want to go grab a tongue, or some maybe beef cheeks.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've been doing tongue, both on and off the Egg a couple times a year for sometime.

Here's what I've learned.

If you want smoked tongue, the outside skin, some of which is about as coarse as sand paper, must be removed. Even cooked, it is too tough, and the smoke doesn't penetrate much. Here's a shot of a tip cross section.

It can be cut off uncooked, but it takes a razor. Boiling helps. Doesn't need anything in the water. Pressure cooking for 10 min at 15 psi works best.

Depending on how the tongue was processed, it may need to be cut into several pieces in order to cook evenly. For a whole tongue that includes most of the "root," I do 3 pcs.  Just rub as desired after removing the "hide."

Standard lo-n-slo set up. Because of the size of the portions may be done in 2.5 hrs.

Left to right: The "root," which is much like a roast. Has fat and connective tissue, sometimes some small bones and arteries that can be cut away. The top rear portion. Some lines of connective tissue that need melting, ie, cook to at least 180F. The tip, which is about 50/50 muscle fiber and connective tissue, even;y distributed. Hard to get just right. Not enough, still sort of chewy. To much, noticeably dry.

And finished.

Tends to be very rich. A texture a little like bologna, but possibly very smokey. I rarely eat more than a few slices at a time. Makes good cold sandwiches, your choice condiments. The fattier portions reheat nicely cubed up for appetizers.

Have fun. They used to be really cheap, far less than ground beef. Ones I've seen for the past few years have been above $4/lb.

I've also done bison and pig tongues. The pigs were harder 'cause they were small, hard to trim, and easily over cooked.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Guidance?

Don't
    took everything I had...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You don't have time to brine/soak out but next time she is out of town this works well.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=858697&catid=1
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I have never done them on the egg. I put them in the crock pot and let them go. It takes a long time to cook but is a hit in my house. As mentioned it used to be very cheap, but now it's 5.99lbs here so I don't do them often at that price.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I made tacos a while ago. Turned out well.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157047/lengua-de-res

I want to try smoking tongue sometime. Yours looks mighty fine, @gdenby !

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Kinda like Sweetbreads.....Sometimes you just don't want to know. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Beef tongue is one of my greatest childhood memories... Whenever I would get to go to Grandma's for a few days or a week, the folks would meet Grandma halfway, and Grandma would stop on the way back to town at the Co-op Locker Plant and get a tongue. She'd boil it for 4 hours with the spices you mentioned, and we'd have tongue sandwiches on white bread for supper, and lunch the next day. I still do it the same way, haven't tried smoking one. Best sandwich ever :)
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    Basscat said:
    Beef tongue is one of my greatest childhood memories... Whenever I would get to go to Grandma's for a few days or a week, the folks would meet Grandma halfway, and Grandma would stop on the way back to town at the Co-op Locker Plant and get a tongue. She'd boil it for 4 hours with the spices you mentioned, and we'd have tongue sandwiches on white bread for supper, and lunch the next day. I still do it the same way, haven't tried smoking one. Best sandwich ever :)
    Glad to hear I'm onto something here! Picked up the tongue this afternoon... I'll start another tread with steps and pics all along the way in the morning. Thanks for all the input!