Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lengua De Res

Options
Picked up a beef tongue a while ago, and have been wondering what to do with it. After some perusing of the interwebs, I decided to go for it.

Started with the beef tongue.

Set it up Sat night in the crockppot, set on low. About half a yellow onion, lotsa garlic, bay leaves, pepper, kosher salt, and Costco's no salt seasoning that has a bunch of stuff in it. Sun morning the kitchen had a fabulous aroma! The tongue was super tender.

Fished the tongue out and let it cool. Cut a slit along one side and peeled off the thick outer skin. Put it in the refrigerator until evening. Fired up the egg, and seasoned half of the tongue with ancho chile powder, guajillo chile powder, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper. 

The egg got away from me a bit. Flames were coming out of the top vent. I've never had this happen before, so it was pretty cool!

Once the temp came down a bit, I roasted a poblano pepper, jalapenos, garlic, and tomatillos.

Put my lil Tuff Guy on to heat up. Temp was about 400°Fish. Gave it a quick fry with spring onions and some of the fat separated from its broth earlier. 

Back to the tomatillos and stuff: made salsa from a Rick Bayless recipe that has been featuredon here before. Very tasty and simple to make. Threw everything in the food processor, with some salt, pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and orange juice. Stirred in the red onions after it all came together.

Time to eat! On a wheat tortilla, with avocado and tomato. Plated shot sucks (as usual) - why did I hide all the meat ?? Tasted damn delicious though, and I will definitely make it again. 

I have the other half of the tongue saved for another dish I want to try. More on that later. 

Thanks for looking.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have seen them at Fiesta in Austin also the whole heads.... Never thought of what you did. WOW.. Man that would be cook at an EggFest (think Salado). Lots of people would like to try it for the first time (I sure as hell would)....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Funny that you should mention whole heads... I was just thinking about trying cabeza next.

Some taco trucks around Houston have lengua on their menu, so that's sort of where I got the idea. And you're right - lengua would be a good item for Salado. I'll keep that in mind. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom.

I love me some tongue, takes the words out of my mouth.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom. I love me some tongue, takes the words out of my mouth.
    It must be nice in your world. ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HorseMover
    Options
    Looks amazing...I would love to try it.
    Albion, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Last time I saw a tounge that big was from a picture of Miley Cyrus... Yikes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Last time I saw a tounge that big was from a picture of Miley Cyrus... Yikes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN