Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What time would you...

Options
put your brisket on for a 5 pm meal the next day? I have cooked a few briskets on my medium egg but have recently upgraded to an XL and will be doing my first whole packer tonight. The brisket is 18 pounds purchased from Sams. My flats in the past have normally probed tender around 12 hours and the points seem to take slightly less when cooking at 250. I would like to FTC until the brisket reaches ~140. 

How long would you estimate it would take for the brisket to drop to 140 and what time would you put it on the grill if this was your cook?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Any particular reason you want to wait for it to drop to 140? That isn't necessary bt if you wanna I guess it depends how good your cooler is tou
    put it in
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree with Chubbs that there is no reason to plan for a really long FTC and just makes the timing more complicated.  FTC is not a necessary step but a great tool to have to hold the brisket if it finishes early.  

Timing a brisket is tricky business.  An hour per lb calculation doesn't work great because an 18 lb brisket might just be longer than a 12 lb brisket and not much thicker.   It might help if you show a pic of the brisket with something for scale and babie some of the pros will chime in.  I would imagine you might trim off 2 lbs.  At 16 lbs the estimate is 1.5 per lb which is 24 hours.  I really don't think it will take that long.  My wild guess would be 16 hours.  I would put it on at midnight (17 hours) and keep the temp as low as I feel comfortable, then adjust as needed the next day.  You can always use foil and crank up the heat if you get in a time crunch. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• OneNole03
    OneNole03 Posts: 93
    Options
    I believe I read on some posts here that Franklin recommends waiting until the internal temperature is 140 before slicing. Wanted to see if it made a noticeable difference or not.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,870
    Options
    I put mine on at 10-11 PM - just whenever I get the fire stabilized and the meat ready, etc.  That's about what time I go to bed.  I try to be below 250 for the nighttime portion of the cook.  Then I normally wake up about 6 AM and check it.  Based on the temp at that time I can adjust the airflow/temp to meet my needs.  Usually that means wrapping in butcher paper and allowing the temp to rise to 275-290.  I can usually get them finished between noon and 3 PM and into the FTC for a minimum of a couple of hours.

This plan is based on my priority of getting a good night of sleep while cooking a great brisket.  By starting right at bedtime and cooking at a lower temp, I feel that I'm cooking the brisket as little as possible during the unmonitored time and I can make whatever adjustments I need in the morning.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    OneNole03 said:
    I believe I read on some posts here that Franklin recommends waiting until the internal temperature is 140 before slicing. Wanted to see if it made a noticeable difference or not.
    You can still do that but if the brisket finishes within 30 minutes or so of serving time  just let it rest at room temp.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Plan between 1h to 1:15h per pound. Each brisket is different so it might be done in 18 hours or 22.5h for an 18 lbs brisket.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Only the brisket knows. . . 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI