Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs - Need some advice

Pghegger
Pghegger Posts: 58
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
First attempt at beef ribs, trying a rack of back ribs and one of short ribs.  Both have been on for a little over two hours and are at about 155 degrees.  Read I should let them get to 160 or so and the foil with some beer and worsh sauce for another hour or so until  they get to 200?  Sound right?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited April 2016
    You can foil or (I prefer) run nekked to the finish-line.  And the best finish-line indicator is the toothpick test-probe the rib meat-no resistance and you are there.  Temperature is only a guide for me.  Don't know your cook temp but I can see anywhere from 5+hrs (back ribs) to 7+ hrs (short ribs).  FWIW-
    BTW-beat their pork cousins every time.  Lookin' good-great eats await.
    Edit:  the above cook times are at around 250-260*F on the dome.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I've never done back ribs (top ribs in your pic) but I think those are the ones you want to wrap.  Any help @theyolksonyou ?   

The plate ribs that you are cooking I would let go until they probe tender and wouldn't wrap.  You are in for a treat when these babies are done.  You'll never want pork ribs again!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Pghegger
    Thanks.   Cooking at about 250
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I generally do my beef ribs about 275-285 dome temp

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Pghegger
    Thanks for the advice all.   I stayed with the recipe I was following for each from Smokiing like a Pro that called for both to be wrapped.  The back ribs came out really good, liked them a lot..   The short ribs were just ok but there was still a good bit of fat throughout.  Is the likely cause here me wrapping which accelerates cook time and thereby not letting the fat render?  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Finished/Plated Pr0N?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    250 indirect for 4.5- 5 hours. 200. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Sorry I missed this. The back ribs I did were disappointing in that they weren't very meaty. I didn't wrap mine. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Pghegger said:
    Thanks for the advice all.   I stayed with the recipe I was following for each from Smokiing like a Pro that called for both to be wrapped.  The back ribs came out really good, liked them a lot..   The short ribs were just ok but there was still a good bit of fat throughout.  Is the likely cause here me wrapping which accelerates cook time and thereby not letting the fat render?  
    The last batch of short ribs I did were about 6 hours at 275 grid over a water pan, and wrapped in butcher paper abou halfway through, and they turned out great. If you think of plate ribs like you do a brisket (time, temp, wrapping timing) you can do pretty well.  I suspect that the back ribs cooked way faster, and next time, you might give the short ribs a 3 hour head start.

Like you, I don't dig biting into gobs of fat, and like a full render. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    lousubcap said:
    You can foil or (I prefer) run nekked to the finish-line.  And the best finish-line indicator is the toothpick test-probe the rib meat-no resistance and you are there.  Temperature is only a guide for me.  Don't know your cook temp but I can see anywhere from 5+hrs (back ribs) to 7+ hrs (short ribs).  FWIW-
    BTW-beat their pork cousins every time.  Lookin' good-great eats await.
    Edit:  the above cook times are at around 250-260*F on the dome.
    @lousubcap
    Yo Cap, what do you use for rub? Do you sauce it first then rub?
    No rush, I got 4-6 weeks of waiting time......

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    @YukonRon - I use worcestershire for the "binder" and use a low-salt Montreal steak seasoning on the beef ribs.  I likely will give beef back ribs a few spritzes of beered down worcestershire around 3-4 hours in, depending on the adult beverages and how they look but run the short ribs w/o any additives during the cook.  FWIW.  
    BTW-I can get the uncut chuck short ribs at the local Kroger by asking at the meat counter. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - I use worcestershire for the "binder" and use a low-salt Montreal steak seasoning on the beef ribs.  I likely will give beef back ribs a few spritzes of beered down worcestershire around 3-4 hours in, depending on the adult beverages and how they look but run the short ribs w/o any additives during the cook.  FWIW.  
    BTW-I can get the uncut chuck short ribs at the local Kroger by asking at the meat counter. 
    Cap, as always I owe you some beers. Next time we hook up.
    Thank you for the insight shared. You always seem to make my cooks better.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    @YukonRon -  you are overly kind but thanks.  And always remember, it's the cook who has to execute.  
    Hoping your messed-up wheel comes around post-haste.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    OK. Picked up the ribs and will follow the guidelines, but I have a question: He says let them rest for about an hour after they're done.
    Wrap? Foil? No Butcher paper, but I have parchment.
    Any suggestions?
    South SLO County