Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven

brand new egg head here - what is the best Dutch oven to purchase for chili?

Comments

• Anything by Lodge is good. Le Creuset is also nice, though the spot tends to accumulate on the exterior. Your biggest consideration should be size. Your options will be restricted as a function of the size of your Egg. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Enameled you have to be kind of careful with.  Once it chips it tends to rust.

I've got several dutch ovens and I'd say the one that gets the most use is a 5 quart, non enameled.   It's a good size for a batch of chili, or stew.  It also is a good size for deep frying or baking bread or cobbler.

Phoenix 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Go to your nearest WalMart, I paid $33 dollars for a Lodge 5qt ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    For the most versatility look up the Lodge 5 qt. Double Dutch. You get the deep pan, a frying pan and a Dutch oven in one combo.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Agree with everyone else in that Lodge is your best bet.  Check out Wal-Mart or if you have a TJ Max near by check them out too.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I like my lodge 5 qt but sometimes I wish it were a little bigger.  If you have a large egg you can fit a bigger dutch oven.  The 5 quart fits on my small egg.  Just my $.02 but I would go with a 7 qt.  

If you do decide to go with the 5 qt you might consider this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEXR0K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SOM5XS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VC4VTHH3BR7GHXNB3BE

The top doubles as a skillet which would come in handy.  The price is a little high right now on Amazon (I have seem them in the $35 range).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    im a fan of the enameled type, have both though. i dont like chili with tomatoes cooked in a seasoned one but real chili has no tomatoes in it and that type is fine in a seasoned dutch. with the enameled ones you can keep the food in it in the fridge, seasoned ones you need to remove the food after cooking to store it. with the enameled ones you can leave the soot on the exterior or work like a fool to remove it =) for some reason pot roast cooks better in a seasoned dutch. enameled lodge,  lecrueset, and the cheap marshalls brand all cook the same in an egg so dont get caught up with the expensive better heat transfers of the lecrueset over the others, it makes no difference in the egg. big is better but i find i always fill to the top and im eating chili for a week
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    For the most versatility look up the Lodge 5 qt. Double Dutch. You get the deep pan, a frying pan and a Dutch oven in one combo.
    This is what I use and it works very well.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I concur with what fishlessperson said, although I want to comment the heat transfer of cast iron is very bad, not that it makes a difference.  Cast iron is a great material to store heat and release it slowly.  For that reason, it's not a good material to heat unevenly and expect the heat distributed well. 

You can do this experiment at home - take a big cast iron pan.  Sprinkle flour thinly and evenly over the entire bottom.  But it on the smallest burner on your stove and crank it on full blast.   You will see the flour burns in a pattern matching your burner flame.  Do this with an aluminum or ss pan and the pattern will be more distributed.
    I concur with what fishlessperson said, although I want to comment the heat transfer of cast iron is very bad, not that it makes a difference.  Cast iron is a great material to store heat and release it slowly.  For that reason, it's not a good material to heat unevenly and expect the heat distributed well. 

You can do this experiment at home - take a big cast iron pan.  Sprinkle flour thinly and evenly over the entire bottom.  But it on the smallest burner on your stove and crank it on full blast.   You will see the flour burns in a pattern matching your burner flame.  Do this with an aluminum or ss pan and the pattern will be more distributed.
    i should have worded the heat transfer with the lecrueset is better if your cooking on a 16 thousand dollar aga hob =) thats where it would shine
    fukahwee maine

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    i should have worded the heat transfer with the lecrueset is better if your cooking on a 16 thousand dollar aga hob =) thats where it would shine
    @fishlessman it's payday tomorrow, where can I get me one of these aga hob thingies? :lol:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    im a fan of the enameled type, have both though. i dont like chili with tomatoes cooked in a seasoned one but real chili has no tomatoes in it and that type is fine in a seasoned dutch. with the enameled ones you can keep the food in it in the fridge, seasoned ones you need to remove the food after cooking to store it. with the enameled ones you can leave the soot on the exterior or work like a fool to remove it =) for some reason pot roast cooks better in a seasoned dutch. enameled lodge,  lecrueset, and the cheap marshalls brand all cook the same in an egg so dont get caught up with the expensive better heat transfers of the lecrueset over the others, it makes no difference in the egg. big is better but i find i always fill to the top and im eating chili for a week
    Many years ago before I new much about cookware, I made a big pot of marinara sauce that I was going to serve for a dinner party along with some homemade Italian sausage. My ex had taken all the stainless cookware and I was left with a cast iron set. So out came the cast iron Dutch oven. I labored all day over that sauce only to realize as dinner approached that my sauce tasted like metal. I will never cook anything with tomato in a non enameled cast iron pot again and that includes chili.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Went down in our basement, did some searching and found a cast iron Dutch oven, I had totally forgotten we had.
    It is about to get real now.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @NonaScott. It wasn't fully seasoned, or clean of rust, of that happened to you.  I use mine for tomato based dishes all the time and don't have that problem.  Tomatoes aren't even close to the most acidic foods.
    edited April 2016
    @NonaScott. It wasn't fully seasoned, or clean of rust, of that happened to you.  I use mine for tomato based dishes all the time and don't have that problem.  Tomatoes aren't even close to the most acidic foods.
    i think the ones having problems are the ones doing long simmers, sauce takes me 8 hours then the brasciole, sausage, and meatballs go in for another couple hours =) ive had to sand the ruined seasoning out of a well used preseasoned pan once, the seasoning just kept lifting regardless what i cooked in it til i took a grinder to it. ive also been known to do half the cook one day, leave it stove top, and finish it the next, enameled just works better for me
    fukahwee maine

• NonaScott
    You are probably right about the seasoning. I had seen loads of pictures of people cooking all sorts of things over the campfire in a cast iron pot so I was shocked at the result. I just never cared to take that chance again.
    Narcoossee, FL

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have a 5 qt Lodge and love it.  I could have easily gotten a bigger one for my Xl and wish I would have, but it was a gift and has been very handy.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Casserole-Skillet-5-Quart/dp/B000LEXR0K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1461789926&sr=8-6&keywords=5+quart+dutch+oven

Check out Amazon to see which one works for you and see who has the best price.  I do like the enameled ones as well, but out of my price range. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I find yard sales, estate sales, Craig's List is the best place to buy iron cookware. Most people don't know how to take care of it, or don't want to, so they sell it off for way less than its value.

My favorite dutch was a 7 quart for $35 at an estate sale. I stick it right on top of the lump and it is indestructible.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    DieselkW said:
    I find yard sales, estate sales, Craig's List is the best place to buy iron cookware. Most people don't know how to take care of it, or don't want to, so they sell it off for way less than its value.

Agreed.  I just added 16 new pieces to my collection on Saturday.  It was a weird deal.  They had tried three fry pans, and clearly didn't know how to clean and store them.  The rest was all brand spanking new - including the Lodge wok that I've been wanting for a while.

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Bar keepers friend works great for cleaning up enamel cast iron pieces. No elbow grease. Wipes clean. 
  • NonaScott
    edited April 2016
    Bar keepers friend works great for cleaning up enamel cast iron pieces. No elbow grease. Wipes clean. 
    That stuff is great. Shines up the stainless on my Weber Genesis no matter how much crud is baked on it
    Narcoossee, FL

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have the 5qt double Dutch.  I love that it fits on both the small and the large.  Works great for my needs...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • stevoman88
    stevoman88 Posts: 6
    edited October 2016
    I like the BGE Dutch oven personally Works great. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I like my lodge 5 qt but sometimes I wish it were a little bigger.  If you have a large egg you can fit a bigger dutch oven.  The 5 quart fits on my small egg.  Just my $.02 but I would go with a 7 qt.  

If you do decide to go with the 5 qt you might consider this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEXR0K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SOM5XS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VC4VTHH3BR7GHXNB3BE

The top doubles as a skillet which would come in handy.  The price is a little high right now on Amazon (I have seem them in the $35 range).  
    double dutch is the way to go. I got the 5q as it fits in minimax (with lid on need to use cgs mm woo) but the pan fits on fire ring topped grate.  I put picts of it here somewhere.  It is greatnfor searing steaks and burgers