Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TABLE PLANS

Options
Hey, BGE'ers!     

I have finally made the decision to build a table and I am calling upon you good folks for advice and direction;  build-plans, materials, features/functions, etc.

So....for those of you who have already built a table;  what did you do?

And, for the rest of us;  what WOULD you do?

Thanks, as always!

Comments

• Shurdaddy
    Shurdaddy Posts: 25
    Options
    I just built the table from the Naked Whiz site, minus the wheels.  It was an easy 1 day build for a novice like myself.  I used cedar and treated with 3 coats of spar varnish.
    Lewiston, MN  LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    If it had it do do over again, I'd keep my eggs in a nest and buy a stainless prep table. 
  • EggerInCharlotte
    Options
    Now...that's an interesting comment; DoubleEgger.  I've had that same consideration;  I have seen the "roll-in" tables where the BGE rolls (in the next) into a "slot" on the table...but, it is separate from the table. 

Why do you say that?

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I totally agree. More room, easier to move, easier to maintain and clean.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Most people have wood tables and get along fine, but I've seen a few pictures of fires that began on a wood table from a Big Green Egg, and some of them wound up burning the whole house down.

I've seen a bunch of people building their own tables by stacking bricks or stones like the the guy who posted this thread: XL Island

Check it out -- might be worth considering.

I had somebody build me a table for my two eggs out of cinderblock faced with stone, and I like it a lot, and feel safe with it, but it cost me a fair bit, and I really think there are DIY approaches that would be a whole lot cheaper like th one above.
  • Turk2011
    Turk2011 Posts: 65
    Options
    I totally agree with @DoubleEgger .  I certainly wouldn't get rid of mine cause well .... I made it  However I wouldn't do it again.  Stainless steel prep all the way from now on. 
    Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Now...that's an interesting comment; DoubleEgger.  I've had that same consideration;  I have seen the "roll-in" tables where the BGE rolls (in the next) into a "slot" on the table...but, it is separate from the table. 

Why do you say that?

I think it offers more flexibility. The wood is hard to keep clean and maintain. Anything table designed for BGE is outrageously priced so I don't see the need for a roll in table. I'd look online for a used stainless prep table. It'll last forever, minimal maintenance, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a custom stainless table. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Why do you say that?

I think it offers more flexibility. The wood is hard to keep clean and maintain. Anything table designed for BGE is outrageously priced so I don't see the need for a roll in table. I'd look online for a used stainless prep table. It'll last forever, minimal maintenance, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a custom stainless table. 
    Agree 100%.  Still, to each his own.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Thw table is the best option for ME because:

1. As a father of young (under 4) kids.  The egg is better protected from being hit by bikes, bouncing balls, bats, etc. 

2. As a father of young (under 4) kids.  The egg is far more stable in the table, don't have to worry about a nest moving or tipping.

. As a father of young (under 4) kids. A table makes it much harder for the kids to try and touch it

3. A nest doesn't roll worth a darn across our block patio.

4.  Yikes, the price of a nest these days.  Recent quotes I got are: Medium nest $149 and a nest handler is $99.  I built my table for far less with 2 quartz slabs that I got from a fabricators dumpster.

Just my 2 pennies.
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    I threw together a wood table for use until I get an outdoor kitchen built... and at that point, I'll upgrade to an XL Egg, too.

You can see my table by clicking the link in my sig. I used the Naked Whiz plans as a basis, and stretched them to length I was looking for. I have the large sitting in a table nest in the table, in a covered & screened-in lanai.

I'm not worried about fire or smoke. After 2+ years of use, there's no signs of smoke staining the off-white painted drywall ceiling or stucco walls. I use the spark screen in the bottom vent, and if I'm cooking above 275 deg F, I'm present at the table.

So, to answer your question, what I would do is get a beautiful built-in outdoor kitchen replete with kegerator, flat top gas griddle, a massive prep area and sink... but until that's within reach, I've got a table that costed me $150 in materials and a few weekend days of diversion from other projects.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Why do you say that?

Agree 100%.  Still, to each his own.
    I like this idea to replace my decade old wooden table.  How would you cut that hole with conventional tools?  Or even unconventional tools?
    Best - Jack
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    If it had it do do over again, I'd keep my eggs in a nest and buy a stainless prep table. 

Interesting! I have been thinking the same thing. I don't mind the nest and just a prep table will give me what I really need. I just can't decide what to get. I would love to have a table with dry storage under it, perhaps some doors. But I suppose I could always get a cover for the table. Anyone have any advice on this?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hey, BGE'ers!     

Sorry to take this off topic.....Will you be joining us at Butt Blast this weekend? @pflug @EggerInCharlotte

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    I did cedar table but did a tile top.  Under the tile is just wunderboard  (same stuff you use in bathrooms behind tile).  Let me know if you want me to send other pictures... or swing by,  I am just south of Charlotte near Matthews.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I currently have this table from Sam's Club that I use as a prep table and storage.  Thinking of building a SS cabinet, because I can't find what I want online or on Craigslist that could next to my XLBGE.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/workbench-stainless/prod18290870.ip?navAction=

Here is what I have set up.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    I will be there...family in tow!!!
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I currently have this table from Sam's Club that I use as a prep table and storage.  Thinking of building a SS cabinet, because I can't find what I want online or on Craigslist that could next to my XLBGE.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/workbench-stainless/prod18290870.ip?navAction=

Here is what I have set up.

I thought about that one but I am concerned that the legs are not stainless steel. I'm not sure how durable they will be.
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    I have finally settled on my plan for my table; now I just have to make it happen.  You asked for suggestions, so after pondering this for months I have a lot of ideas (none of them mine...the web is wonderful).

My main goal for a plan was simplicity of construction, function (durable, strong, convenience), and keeping costs down.

(1) I am going to mostly use Scott Moore's Table A plan, at file:///J:/FAM/BBQ/table/scott%20moore%20BGE%20Table%20A-Plan.htm
    He has a very helpful sketchup file (*.skp) of his table, which lets you rotate the table view in all dimensions; its great to see the underside, details of the legs, etc.  You need to download the free Sketchup viewer program to use the *.skp file. I am also cross-breeding Moore's plans with some features from the naked whiz plan that Shurdaddy mentioned. I am going to skip Naked Whiz's bottle opener collection to save money, but I love the idea!!

(2) I am going to use a 24" x 24" granite slab (3 cm thick; scrap from my ongoing kitchen renovation) under the egg. Fireplace pavers were my alternative, but I had the granite available.  I will also use the old BGE ceramic feet to create an air gap between the granite and the egg bottom. BGE doesn't make the feet any more due fire danger (BGE now sells the table nest to replace it), but my local BGE dealer gave me 3 they had lying around. I thought of using porcelain floor tile (another renovation leftover) under the egg, but learned that porcelain is a very good heat conductor.

(3) I am going to use locking casters about the same size as my nest has on it.  Moore's plan ends up with a 4" x 4" dimension on the lower leg, so I will get plate-style casters (not stem style)

(4) I am going to adjust the plans so the table top (including the casters) is good for my height.

(5) Although it goes beyond my simplicity goal, I am going to make the rounded ends of the table that Moore shows.

(6) I probably will use one of my 18 x 18" porcelain tiles on the top as a work surface and place to put hot items.  Maybe one on the lower shelf as well.

(7) To make the top a bit nicer I am going to use 5/4" x 6" x 6' select white pine boards (Home Depot sells them).  I am going to use all (or most) of the full 6' length to get a bit larger table top, but keep the outer dimension of the frame at 4'. With 1/8" gaps between the boards (6" nominal boards are really 5.5" wide), I will end up with ~1.25" of the top extending beyond the frame (with rail) on each of the two long sides.  Everything else will be common board quality white pine

(8) One thing I didn't like about Moore's plans is the egg hole results in several of the short top shelf boards near the egg rest on the top (i.e., 2" side) of a single 2 x 4 of the frame.  Some folks here at the table forum, including some who built a Moore plan table, said that it isn't a problem.  Attaching the short top boards with both  glue and screws into the 2x4 was plenty.  I am still not convinced about that (I guess I am a belt and suspenders type of guy sometimes), so I am going to adapt an idea from the Naked Whiz's plan to put a second brace (strut?) in that area so all top boards rest on 2 struts.  I may move the egg farther into the middle of the table by a few inches to accommodate this.

(9) Several coats of Helmsman Spar Poly will seal everything, and I will use it on all sides of each piece of wood before assembly. Helmsman does not come with a stain (although it naturally is a bit yellow), but natural color is fine with me.  If I stained first I would use outdoor poly with stain, but would still finish with Helmsman.  My egg & cart will live outside without a cover or roof, but Helmsman is tough stuff.

After a lot of reading online, I found how to solve my biggest question: how to cut the round hole. Free form cutting a circle with a sabre saw is NOT a method I want to try. There are 2 ways of doing it. Bboth are fundamentally the same, using a simple jig as the radius arm of a circle, with a power tool for cutting.  You can use a hand held sabre saw with a jig that is a rod (bar?) that goes to a peg or screw where you want the middle of the hole.  You can buy a set of such a jig set at tool/home improvement stores for about $10 that will work on most sabre saws.  The alternative is to use a similar jig setup on a router, and make multiple passes around the circle with a straight bit to cut a smooth hole.  A friend has offered to help me with the router method at his garage workshop (I think I owe him a smoked rack of ribs).  I will also use the router-and-jig to cut the rounded table ends (with the jig/radius as long as the table top), and then round off all the sides with the router and a simple roundover bit.

Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    pflug said:
    I will be there...family in tow!!!
    Look forward to meeting.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Hey, BGE'ers!     

I have finally made the decision to build a table and I am calling upon you good folks for advice and direction;  build-plans, materials, features/functions, etc.

So....for those of you who have already built a table;  what did you do?

And, for the rest of us;  what WOULD you do?

Thanks, as always!

Buy the Acacia Table. Took 15 minutes to assemble and very functional. I put a huge cutting board on the one side of it. Added a stainless door handle to hang my BGE towel, and some hooks on each side to hold utensils, ash removal tool and pan.

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Rwood
    Rwood Posts: 17
    Options
    I built mine last year when I got my egg, it was not that hard just looked up the dimensions online and started building. 
  • danlbrown
    Options
    Just finished building mine a few weeks ago. I used the standard BGE table dimension found on line. The stainless is the top from my original table. Added another 13” of counter which extends the top of the small table to the dimension of the large. Reclaimed barnboards, planed and milled and finished with spar urethane. Have a cover on the way. 

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i did a wood table with concrete top so its easy to clean and very functional.  in our new house i am considering doing a stationary outdoor kitchen type next but this one will last me until i can get finance approval to build what i want. i saw someone comment about wood tables and fires, that is normally caused by people who are not using a table nest, the table nest makes any table you build much safer and regardless of the material i would recommend it to protect your egg from cracking.  sitting the egg directly on a paver or something is creating a heat sync between the concrete and egg and it will cause your base to crack faster and on a wood table it keeps the wood from heating up to much while cooking.  i have had a wooden table now for about 6 years with 0 issues after using a table nest.  there are a couple options out there, there is one from JJ George (jjgeorgestore.com) and big green egg makes one any dealer should have one around.  if you more questions feel free to message me.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• bigalsworth
    Options
    I just built this table.  Got the plans from https://www.searedandsmoked.com/diy-big-green-egg-table/.  Very satisfied with it.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    when I had a wood table I cut the hole with a miter saw. I also used 2x4's. It was shaped like a octagon.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.