Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo no like guns

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,675
Seems the buffalo have no use for guns. I thought it was interesting but I was wrong.  

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Why would the buffalo be afraid of a .380?  I had a thread over a year ago that didn't get buffaloed. The buffalo has changed brother. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mickey
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Why would the buffalo be afraid of a .380?  I had a thread over a year ago that didn't get buffaloed. The buffalo has changed brother. 
    That guy was next to the road in Yellowstone last summer. A .380 would not get him to look up. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    Mickey said:
    bgebrent said:
    That guy was next to the road in Yellowstone last summer. A .380 would not get him to look up. 
    Ha!  There was this bison farm in MO years ago that would let you shoot one for a fee (whenever they were going to harvest one.)  They made it sound like an African safari with an element of danger.  They would take you out with a "guide" in a Hummer and let you cap the thing.  Had a buddy that really wanted to do it so we the video on their website of it.  They show the hunter and guide sneaking out of the HUMVEE and getting in position.  This guy takes like five minutes to aim while the guide is whispering to him.  He finally fires, you see a cloud of grass and dirt fly up about 10ft short of the target, and this big bull doesn't even flinch.  The guide is going, "reload reload!!" and he aims, fires again, and this thing falls over.  We just laughed because where was the sport--you could have gone over an cut its throat.  Needless to say, he didn't spend the $700 or whatever it was.

In talking to folks with bison farms here in MO, those things do whatever the hell they want though.  They may look big and lazy, but they can apparently jump and/or take out just about any fence that stands in their way. 
  • Mickey
    Options
    @stlcharcoal that sounds like when we would take Toyota reps to the deer lease and untie the deer and unbox the birds to hunt. Also have those Weatherby's laying around to be taken home. Now that was 30 years ago, can't buy them lunch anymore. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Talking about capping a buffalo will anger the buffalo for sure.  He'll bust a cap in this thread.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Options
    You have to wonder who this "buffalo" is?
    Someones secretary or some vp placed on the Corp slow track?
    Or several that rotate the job?

• Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    Wonder?

been mentioned a few times who it is

Regardless.... i figure they are in the business of supporting their grills and trying to walk a fine line where they don't alienate visitors here (read: potential customers) with topics that prove to be more than a little contentious on social media today

I (or we) may not like it, but it is their sandbox.  
    The forums are full of line pushers. It would be nice to talk to folks as if your kid was standing right there..especially on a cooking forum.
    Nobody is interested in teaching kids about anything anymore..let alone how to act in public or treat authority/others with respect.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    *fart noises*
    Options
    I guess they are more approving of things shooting out of @SGH 's anus than in things shooting out of a .380.

Personally I was more interested in the .380 end of things but neither thread bothered me.  Buffalo apparently don't feel the same..
    New Orleans LA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    If you were an animal that had been hunted to near extinction, I suspect you would not be a fan of guns either.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,192
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    I guess they are more approving of things shooting out of @SGH 's anus than in things shooting out of a .380.

You are incorrect. The Buffalo struck my orifice post at exactly the 21 minute mark. He spares no one.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Now. Shooting into his anus....  Maybe that would fly

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,522
    Options
    Mickey said:
    bgebrent said:
    Ha!  There was this bison farm in MO years ago that would let you shoot one for a fee (whenever they were going to harvest one.)  They made it sound like an African safari with an element of danger.  They would take you out with a "guide" in a Hummer and let you cap the thing.  Had a buddy that really wanted to do it so we the video on their website of it.  They show the hunter and guide sneaking out of the HUMVEE and getting in position.  This guy takes like five minutes to aim while the guide is whispering to him.  He finally fires, you see a cloud of grass and dirt fly up about 10ft short of the target, and this big bull doesn't even flinch.  The guide is going, "reload reload!!" and he aims, fires again, and this thing falls over.  We just laughed because where was the sport--you could have gone over an cut its throat.  Needless to say, he didn't spend the $700 or whatever it was.
    Yup, that's Harvesting, not Hunting.
    Saw the same thing in ND when I lived up there; the fields were separated with single-tree lines, someone's kid would start walking the opposite end of the tree line to chase the deer to the other end, where a phalanx of "harvesters" would blow it away and claim their prize.
    whee.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Now. Shooting into his anus....  Maybe that would fly

No!  Damnit No!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 699
    Options
    I wonder if the buffalo is into bows and arrows?  :s
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Seems the buffalo have no use for guns. 
    Its not just guns brother Mick. The Buffalo seems to hate many things. He has struck posts of mine that contained orifices, big units, Yeti songs, IPhone info request, toilet paper, butchered hogs, RTIC promotions, etc etc. The list goes on and on. The only thing that I can say for certain is that the buffalo strikes swift and without warning. He shows little mercy when provoked.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have a friend with 3 pet buffalo. Raised them from about a week old. She lets her little kids go up to them. One of them has been hired by a big bank to be their mascot and travel around the state to events. There's still a warning sign on his pen just in case.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    @SGH - I have to admit, these conversations have made me think differently about the "Butt Blast" thread.  Maybe that isn't about cooking...but I don't think I will look!
    New Orleans LA