Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What goes on a Hot Dog?

Options

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Next question. Anyone make their own mustard or ketchup?
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My preference.. mustard (Grey Poupon 'Country Dijon'), chopped onions and a tad of sweet relish; ooh la la !!~~
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Ketchup

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Mustard, mustard, and then some mustard.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I don't, but whenever I go to a restaurant that does it is absolutely great!  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I live in Boetje(bo-gee) Country.  

A staple for brats and dogs, nice punch.  You will also see it on sandwhich shop tables here.

Along with a quality kosher dog or brat, all you need is some kraut, and finely minced raw onions.

The Original has won some serious hardware.  Really like the Cody Rd/Boetje mashup, the punch is slowed a bit.

The cocktail sauce is awesome too.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I make ketchup from time to time. I like Heinz and mine tastes just like it. But neither has ever found it's way onto one of my hot dogs. :) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GratefulJason
    GratefulJason Posts: 37
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The perfect hotdog has chili, yellow mustard, diced onion, and a sprinkle of cayenne. 

But I'm also not one to care what someone else puts on their dog. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    First thing is to start with a great hotdog, cook it how you like it then load that pup up! It's all good!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When I dice or slice onions for burgers or dawgs, I will soak them in either cider or rice wine vinegar for 10-15 minutes.   Try it, you'll like it.
    Options
    I'm a mustard and onions fan above all else.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Your dog, your dressings, but I'm in the mustard camp. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i trick i learned here along time ago is to brush the roll with some butter lightly and dust it with a favorite rub before tossing the roll on the grill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    When I dice or slice onions for burgers or dawgs, I will soak them in either cider or rice wine vinegar for 10-15 minutes.   Try it, you'll like it.
    Quick pickled onions are one of my favorite things. Luvs me some tsukemono.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For you mustard lovers out there, have a try at this. The darker the seed, the more pungent it is. Indian groceries may have black mustard seed. Brown isn't as strong, yellow is passable from seed.

Mash the seed in a mortar and pestle. Do a good job of crushing it fine. Then,  add just a little water and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes. Better, get juice from green grapes or Granny Smith apples. The paste can be wasabi hot if using black mustard. The bite will fade rapidly if not used. Within 3 - 4 days chilled, won't be any more pungent than basic store bought. Water, not vinegar, is what makes mustard really hot, but it doesn't keep.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This is my go-to mustard:

Options
    i trick i learned here along time ago is to brush the roll with some butter lightly and dust it with a favorite rub before tossing the roll on the grill

yep
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    All The Way.....   Mustard, Chili, Onions and Slaw.......  No Ketchup .. That would be blasphemy!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • MarkR7
    MarkR7 Posts: 3
    Options
    Being a little biased here but a Chicago dog is the only way to go for me! Mustard (absolutely NO ketchup), raw onions, relish, sport peppers, celery salt, kraut, and a pickle spear! Voila! 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Your wife has beautiful eyes
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Ketchup.   HATE Mustard!

Chicago Dogs (even though I live across the pond in MI) are the best - poppy seed bun, pickle spears, onions, relish, tiny peppers, mustard (skip!) and tomatoes.

We have what's probably the "best" Coney Place in the known universe by us - Lipumas.  They make every kind of dog known to mankind - Chicago, Russian, Polish, Mexican, Peruvian (kidding) and a lot more.

Even better - we have some decent laws in MI as to what can go into a dog.  As my pop used to say - "never eat a hot dog outside of Michigan".  True words.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    For me it's usually ketchup, mustard, and dill pickle relish.  Maybe some shredded cheese.  However there is a fantastic restaurant in Memphis called Hog n Hominy that serves a Beef and Cheddar dog on a pretzel bun.   They make their own in house, and they only serve it with mustard.   Probably best one I've ever eaten.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Mustard. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Catsup AND mustard

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Hotdogs are like pizza, everything goes on a hotdog. No way could I pick between ketchup and mustard. The minute I you lock me into one, I'll crave the other. 
  • jdsmithii
    jdsmithii Posts: 50
    Options
    My friends and I agreed that catsup was ok if you were a child, or if it was one condiment in conjunction with others, but never alone. 

Mustard, on the other hand, can be done in any form and combination.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Anyone with a hardo take on mustard vs ketchup better not give me any sh!t when i call you a pansy for trimming your dry aged beef

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I'm with DH - ketchup does NOT belong on a hot dog - MUSTARD!!!!

mustard, onions, chili, southern creamy cole slaw and in that order!!!