Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sides for Low and Slow

Options
 When doing low and slow cooks on our Eggs, what sides are you doing at the same time? My go to is usually some type of baked bean dish. I do this raised off the platesetter and under the protein. I have a two tier rack and want ideas for other sides that can be done at 240*-270* dome temps. Potato dishes. Veg dishes. Baked items? Whatcha got?

Jim
LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I'm assuming you're talking about Boston Butt for pulled pork, southern style.  In that case cole slaw, mac and cheese, baked beans, hush puppies, beer and sweet tea.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    smoked cabbage is quickly becoming one of my go to's
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Beans or Mac n cheese

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    500 said:
    I'm assuming you're talking about Boston Butt for pulled pork, southern style.  In that case cole slaw, mac and cheese, baked beans, hush puppies, beer and sweet tea.
     I am not asking what sides complement any specific dish. Just choices that cook well around 250 degrees.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think another one that would work well is good ol' baked potatoes.  I haven't tried them at 250 but I suspect they would just take a bit longer.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    There were posts recently about smoking cauliflower.  Temp was higher, but depending on how long your protein is on, you could probably get the cauliflower cooked at 250.  
    This was the recent post.   
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Acorn squash cut in half take the seeds out and leave the skin on, put some butter in the cavity and roast.. Same for butternut.. I remember @nolaegghead had a great scalloped potato dish done with buttermilk.. That should work at those temps. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've done baked beans, potatoes in many different ways including baked, veggies (my favorite is a ratatouille type dish) and cabbage. They are all darn good!

Here is the ratatouille
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188838/home-again-back-to-my-egg-chicken-beef-ribs-and-ratatouille#latest

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Turnip greens bathed in Salt pork.... Slow smoked
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Ok. Saw this on Burgers, Brew, and Cue. They put a pan of
    Smoked green beans 
    275* 3 1/2 hours
    Beans white onion bacon salt pepper
    looked real good. Like the looks of your truck BTW. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009