Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New way for me to do Cauliflower

Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited March 2016 in Vegetables
I need to cook more veggies. I am terrible about remembering side dishes and when I do remember them I tend to do starches and carbs. So I've been in a quest to learn more veggies.

This was an absolute hit at Easter. I took a whole  head of cauliflower and covered it in my compound butter (kerrygold, parsley, chives and garlic) then rubbed it with my butt rub.  Smoked it at 325.  Took longer than expected. Like an hour and half. I brought it up to the core at about 165ish.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That looks good!

Cauliflower makes a good sub for mashed potatoes, if you want something with less carbs, but feels like mashed potatoes. Smoke/steam/grill the cauliflower then run it through the food pro.

You can also make cauliflower "steaks" as a side, and they will probably cook faster than a whole head.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Next time I'm going to split it in half at least. Would still look cool and will cook faster.  I may put a cup or so of water in the pan as well. That should help start it faster by steaming it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Saw that in the other thread and was meaning to ask what was on it. Looks good, will have to try it. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Looks good. We steam them first then roast.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Lit said:
    Yeah, I'm thinking it needs some sort of head start so it won't take so long. I'll try that next time.  About how long do you steam them?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I'm a fan of the Nom Nom Paleo site/cookbook.

I like her recipe/technique for whole heads of cauliflower - http://nomnompaleo.com/post/138166087728/whole-roasted-cauliflower

I would definitely use EVOO rather than butter/ghee in order to avoid yet more saturated fat.

I also love to use chimichurri on things like roasted cauliflower (well, to be honest, I love chimichurri on everything).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    Yeah, I'm thinking it needs some sort of head start so it won't take so long. I'll try that next time.  About how long do you steam them?

My wife always does the steaming but I think around 20 minutes.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    That looks great....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Do you do your own chimichurri or store bought?  I've been disappointed w store bought from the Fresh Market
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    thetrim said:
    Do you do your own chimichurri or store bought?  I've been disappointed w store bought from the Fresh Market
    I always make my own. I've tried a couple brands of store bought stuff over the years but they were awful.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk