Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New way for me to do Cauliflower

ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,834
edited March 2016 in Vegetables
I need to cook more veggies. I am terrible about remembering side dishes and when I do remember them I tend to do starches and carbs. So I've been in a quest to learn more veggies.

This was an absolute hit at Easter. I took a whole  head of cauliflower and covered it in my compound butter (kerrygold, parsley, chives and garlic) then rubbed it with my butt rub.  Smoked it at 325.  Took longer than expected. Like an hour and half. I brought it up to the core at about 165ish.

Biloxi, MS
Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
The Grocery Cart
XL / Small Green Eggs

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 11,278
    That looks good!

Cauliflower makes a good sub for mashed potatoes, if you want something with less carbs, but feels like mashed potatoes. Smoke/steam/grill the cauliflower then run it through the food pro.

You can also make cauliflower "steaks" as a side, and they will probably cook faster than a whole head.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,834
    Next time I'm going to split it in half at least. Would still look cool and will cook faster.  I may put a cup or so of water in the pan as well. That should help start it faster by steaming it.
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • pescadorzihpescadorzih Posts: 869
    Saw that in the other thread and was meaning to ask what was on it. Looks good, will have to try it. 
    SE PA
    XL, Mini max
  • LitLit Posts: 6,949
    Looks good. We steam them first then roast.
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,834
    Lit said:
    Yeah, I'm thinking it needs some sort of head start so it won't take so long. I'll try that next time.  About how long do you steam them?
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,049
    I'm a fan of the Nom Nom Paleo site/cookbook.

I like her recipe/technique for whole heads of cauliflower - http://nomnompaleo.com/post/138166087728/whole-roasted-cauliflower

I would definitely use EVOO rather than butter/ghee in order to avoid yet more saturated fat.

I also love to use chimichurri on things like roasted cauliflower (well, to be honest, I love chimichurri on everything).
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • LitLit Posts: 6,949
    Lit said:
    Yeah, I'm thinking it needs some sort of head start so it won't take so long. I'll try that next time.  About how long do you steam them?

My wife always does the steaming but I think around 20 minutes.
  • JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,208
    That looks great....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,096
    Do you do your own chimichurri or store bought?  I've been disappointed w store bought from the Fresh Market
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,049
    thetrim said:
    Do you do your own chimichurri or store bought?  I've been disappointed w store bought from the Fresh Market
    I always make my own. I've tried a couple brands of store bought stuff over the years but they were awful.
    Camped out in the (757/804)