Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT. A honest question.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
A honest question for you tech savvy and computer gurus. Which is really better and why. The iPhone or one of the Android phones. I have had the iPhone 5s for over 2 years and am getting ready to get a new phone. Honestly, I have never had one problem with my iPhone. Not one. But was just curious as to some of yalls thoughts. I realize that this is probably debatable much like which is the best lump, but thought I would ask just the same. If anyone has had or has both, I would really like to hear your thoughts on the two. Thanks in advance for any and all input. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Iphone 6S or soon to come out iPhone 7.  More importantly do you have Mac's or PC's.   If Macs, as i prefer, go iPhone.  They're all good Scottie, it's more about your home base. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    bgebrent said:
    Iphone 6S or soon to come out iPhone 7.  More importantly do you have Mac's or PC's.   If Macs, as i prefer, go iPhone.  They're all good Scottie, it's more about your home base. 
    I don't have any Apple computers, but I do have Apple TV. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    I use android because all my apps I have bought are through Android.

My wife and kids all have iDevices because they all started with iTunes and Apple.

If you like your iPhone and have a bunch of Apps, music, whatever purchased through Apple then stick with an iPhone.

Overall, the quality of iPhone apps are better, but pricier.  There are more android apps, but quality is all over the map.

Honestly, the phones have really become a commodity.   Pick the one that interfaces with the ecosystem you are comfortable with.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    In general, Android devices offer more powerful hardware and more versatile software.  Apple devices have extremely stable operating systems and, therefore, last longer with fewer bugs or malfunctions.

I would urge you to consider your personal usage of your phone.  If you max out the capabilities of your iPhone and are left wanting, go Android.  If you typically stick with basic functions, stay with the iPhone. 

For the record I have owned both and currently have an iPhone.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Also, because you pleaded to "tech savvy" people, I'm going to assume that it's not really your wheelhouse.  iPhones tend to be more user friendly 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SGH
    johnnyp said:
    Also, because you pleaded to "tech savvy" people, I'm going to assume that it's not really your wheelhouse.  
    You are correct here^^^^^^^^. I'm not to swift with electronics my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    All my Androids have sucked batteries.  The iPhone is much better on battery life, probably because the screen is dimmer and processor slower.  They're all good. Once you get invested in one or the other, it's really not worth switching camps.   Note - I did have an iPhone too, and SWMBO has had iPhones the last three cycles.

I like big, bright, pretty displays.  Apple is way behind the curve in AMOLED screens.  This will hurt them in the next few years.
    Whichever one works for you is the best one for you.

iOS is pretty seemless across an Apple ecosystem and stable as well. I personally prefer Android(I've had both and am currently using my sister's old iPhone 5) since it is open source and makes it really easy to change almost anything you want. The problem with that can be compatibility with other devices. Right now, I was planning on getting another Android like the Nexus 6p but I may end up with an iPhone 6s for one reason: FaceTime. My wife uses an iPhone and travels nearly weekly for 1-3 night work trips, so FaceTime has been wonderful for allowing us to contact each other so she can see our girls. We used Skype and Tango but the quality and connection sometimes suffered. Granted, this was over a year ago and I'm sure quality has improved, but the iPhone makes it incredibly easy since the FaceTime call access is part of the regular voice calling apparatus.

I know this doesn't apply to your situation(but it may, since you are often out at sea) but I just wanted to give an example of why what works for you is best, not what anyone else says. Both are quality systems in the end.
  • bgebrent
    Scottie, they're all really good, given that you've had an iPhone, why change?  For me Apple makes a superior and more widely supported product, therefore I choose the iPhone.  Also a Mac guy and like all peripherals to work together.  Happy 20,000!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    edited March 2016
    I'd also agree that since you are not using Macs as your pc's then it probably doesn't matter too much. Get whatever floats your boat.

If you were more invested in the Apple ecosystem I'd say stick with the iPhones.

Personally, I'm pretty heavily into Macs but I have an Android phone because my cell phone needs are minimal and I'm not willing to pay the iPhone tax.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    HeavyG said:
    I'd also agree that since you are not using Macs as your pc's then it probably doesn't matter too much. Get whatever floats your boat.

If you were more invested in the Apple ecosystem I'd say stick with the iPhones.
    Any questions? =)
  • bgebrent
    Just trying to get to 4000 ;)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    bgebrent said:
    Almost there. Quote me.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    bgebrent said:
    You are almost there brother. Keep banging at it.

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    You are almost there brother. Keep banging at it.
    Banging away brother!  You know I don't care.  You're 20k, symbolic brother.
  • Everyone stop posting. These are just phones. Everyone should realise this. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I've had plenty of both. The android phones always start to get really slow after updates start coming out. At the 1 year mark all of my androids lag really bad. My iPhones never have that problem.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    bgebrent said:
    Scottie, they're all really good, given that you've had an iPhone, why change?  For me Apple makes a superior and more widely supported product, therefore I choose the iPhone.  Also a Mac guy and like all peripherals to work together.  Happy 20,000!
    In what way is an iPhone superior? Not trolling, just honesty asking since benchmark testing has the Snapdragon chip outperforming the A9 and the PPI are 20-25% higher going from the the Retina display to Super AMOLED displays. Samsung devices rank as the nicest screens out there. It's too bad about all the bloatware.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    In what way is an iPhone superior? Not trolling, just honesty asking since benchmark testing has the Snapdragon chip outperforming the A9 and the PPI are 20-25% higher going from the the Retina display to Super AMOLED displays. Samsung devices rank as the nicest screens out there. It's too bad about all the bloatware.
    @Eggselcior,  no disagreement, simply familiarity which is worth something.  Your point is pertinent.
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    I agree with what a couple others have said. If you have a bunch of apps purchased for your phone you will probably want to stay with apple. If not you could do either but if you buy an android based phone don't cheap out. I'd also go pick up an android in the store and play with it a bit. I've messed around with friends phones and I have no interest in figuring out the android OS. 
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Everyone stop posting. These are just phones. Everyone should realise this. 
    Obviously, you're new here.  Welcome to the land of Eggheads.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I am hooked on IMusic. Pretty much everything you could ever want to listen to. I wouldn't change because of that. FaceTime is great too. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    I've had both and would have to say I prefer the IPhone. They work better for me.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just bought the Samsung Note 5. Love it. Brother @SGH, it's time to step up to a man's phone and let your granddaughter have your iPhone.  :o

Stop posting on non related BGE issues... Ha. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I have also had both. IMO the IPhone just works. The apps just work. They are also more secure than androids. At least for now.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Android Market. I'm waiting patiently for the release of the HTC One 10 or M10 depending on what they decide to it. 
    I have had iPhone, Blackberry, Android. I prefer HTC and Android. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I had iPhones for the past 6-7 years.  I just switched to the Nexus 6P.  I love the phone. I made the switch because I get poor cell service at my house and needed a phone I could to VOIP with.  The camera is excellent as well.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167

I personally cant stand all the I-stuff, especially I-tunes. Drives me nuts. Androids use a standard mini-usb to link up to computers and various chargers, so for me exchanging files, and emails and such makes much more sense to me on an android.

On another note im up for a new phone as well and a little looked at area is signal strength. It can vary greatly between phones. I'm in need of something with a little more strength as im in the fringe zone. I may try a droid this time as they seem to be rated well in this area

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited March 2016
    johnnyp said:
    Also, because you pleaded to "tech savvy" people, 'm going to assume that it's not really your wheelhouse.  iPhones tend to be more user friendly 
    I disagree that iPhone's are easier to use then an Android phones.  I have had to use one iPhone for work and my wife has a iPhone for work as well as a iPad mini and they all as well as the Apple computers frustrate me to no end.  I prefer Android.  It seems simpler to use and like using Google and is better on Android.  The iPhone 6 plus is probably now the largest phone out there now, but I prefer my LG G4.

@SGH aka Scotty, if you have an iPhone and like it, you might want to stay with Apple.  Unless you want to lurn a new system.  I suggest you go to your Carrier's store and check them both out and see which one you are comfortable with. Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    It's the same old Mac/PC debate.

I have been an Apple guy since my first computer. I used PC's at work, but my home computer has always been Mac... it's not "better", it's different. Sort of like driving in England - very different, but the same basic rules apply.

As for my phone, never had anything but an iPhone since I replaced the world's oldest still in use Motorola flip phone.

I have way too many apps invested in iOS to start over with an Android. My phone is my business partner these days. My contact list alone is worth more to me than my Egg. (well.... by a hair)

I like the Samsung Galaxy size and speed. That would be my Android if I were to abandon the phone that works seamlessly with my laptop, desktop, TV, iGrill, and email server. What a leap of faith that would be for me.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.