Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the site, new EGG, new table!

Hey all, 

New to the site and first-time BGE owner.  Put together a little table for my newly acquired large egg.  Really happy with the results.  Used a set of plans that I found at http://www.scottmoore.net/projects/egg/.  The material I selected for this table was pressure treated "appearance grade" pine.  Overall cost for lumber and hardware was about $90 or so.  I also have a set of heavy duty casters coming for it as well. Really excited to get cooking!

Looking forward to learning a bunch of cool new stuff from everyone here.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice table brother!  Welcome aboard the crazy train  =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice table, shiny new egg.  Welcome and keep on grilling, smoking and posting.
    Buying the egg was the least expensive part of the deal. Owning the egg is wallet genocide. You have been warned.
    Welcome to the forum for OCD Eggers. These folks are the best. They are helpful and are experts on anything remotely close to a BGE.
    Most important thing to do: Have Fun!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Glad to have you around!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Welcome. You need an air gap under the egg, the paver isn't enough. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Welcome to the forum ... oh yes, listen to what @Jeremiah says about an air gap.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Welcome. Hang on to your hat tonight after the booze starts flowing. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Welcome.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Nice looking table, welcome.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Welcome. Your set up looks great. Have fun, and have a great weekend.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• rblarrcpa
    rblarrcpa Posts: 67
    Welcome!  Nice set up.  Get cooking and posting!  Great bunch of crazy helpful people on this site.
    XL & MiniMax
    “The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”
    Red Bank, NJ
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Jeremiah said:
    If that was actually a problem you'd think the Mothership would quit suggesting a paver is ok:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    the story had been told many times of @spaightlabs (I think) house fire. A $30 table nest is cheap insurance 
  • Slabotnick
    Slabotnick Posts: 215
    edited March 2016
    Looks great! Welcome! You will love this place. People are hilarious and will gladly help on anything you want to cook and many things you didn't get know you "needed" to buy and eat.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Jeremiah said:
    +1 on that! You don't want to be making your own pine charcoal.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Welcome, that is a nice looking table.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And one more endorsement for the air-gap even with the paver.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    HeavyG said:
    Jeremiah said:
    If that was actually a problem you'd think the Mothership would quit suggesting a paver is ok:

I know from experience that it is a problem. I had mine directly on a paver, on a makeshift table for about a year before I made a proper table. When I removed the egg and paver the wood was charred black under the paver. So I don't give a damn what BGE says, I'll never go without an air gap again. You can do whatever you want, I was just trying to give some advise. I'll probably never even do another wood table either but that's another argument. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Same here @Jeremiah had discolored wood underneath the paver in 4 months. $30 is really cheap compared to my belongs or God forbid a loved one. Never again. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    It's all about risk reduction.  Air gaps are better than stone materials.  A paver may be ok under normal circumstances, but an air gap would be better.

Thermal Conductivity -k-W/(m K)
    Air  0.024
    bricks, insulating  0.15
    Concrete, medium 0.4 - 0.7
    Granite 1.7 - 4.0
    cast iron 55

Location of the egg should also be taken into account when assessing the risk you are willing to take.  The consequences of a egg table fire will vary depending on where the egg is located.  Egging on a wood deck attached to a wood side house has more risk of serious consequences than egg in on a concrete slab 50' from any structure.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Welcome and don't forget to burb before raising dome.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN