Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brown Sugar and Maple Bacon with Hickory and Cherry Smoke

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
Twenty five pounds of sow belly.  My brown sugar, salt and spices rub with added maple syrup and pink salt.  Bag cured in the refrigerator for seven days, then dried for two days.  Hot smoked for 2.5 hours.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Wow.....just wow. What was the occassion for so much belly to be coooked? Another day ending in Y? 

Simply amazing. I'm going to stare at this for at least 10 minutes and then get back to work.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Wow.....just wow. What was the occassion for so much belly to be coooked? Another day ending in Y? 

Simply amazing. I'm going to stare at this for at least 10 minutes and then get back to work.
    Besides ourselves, distributing to three other families.  Not much more work to do 8 if you're doing two.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Gaaaaah. Drool. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Chris8938
    Options
    Ugh...I'm jealous
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Only thing better than bacon is LOTS of bacon!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The Spouse wanted to get a taste so she got bacon and eggs for dinner.  I put a couple pieces on some biscuits we had languishing in a baggie. 

The eggs cooked really nicely in the bacon fat.

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    My cholesterol count jumped 5 points just looking at that beautiful bacon! 
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The chunks are from a not so good piece of the sow belly, and are going into bean soup next week.  The rest is for The Spouse's lunch.

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Yup still looks amazing. How hot is a "hot smoke". Want to rip this off, er I mean curious. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Yup still looks amazing. How hot is a "hot smoke". Want to rip this off, er I mean curious. 
    180-250 degrees is what I can hold.  Cold smoke is the ambient temp or if you have the right equipment colder.  You cannot cold smoke on a BGE, but you can use it for the vessel to cold smoke.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Awesome thanks for the recommendation man!!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Seriously????  Awesome!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I am voting you for president!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    MMMMM Bacon.
    Still haven't done this yet.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    wow, I bet was delicious! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nicely done!  Best bacon ever.  Great job Doc!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I like those odd ball pieces of bacon scraps. I can generally get a nice crust on more than two sides  :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    180-250 degrees is what I can hold.  Cold smoke is the ambient temp or if you have the right equipment colder.  You cannot cold smoke on a BGE, but you can use it for the vessel to cold smoke.

Great looking bacon doc! I would add that the book I use (Charcuterie) says you hot smoke at those temps to an internal of around 155.  I think I get what you are saying about not being able to "cold smoke" in a BGE but you can actually smoke at ambient temps on a BGE with an amaze-n-smoker and pellets. I use Traeger Apple pellets. You can't do it with lit lump but you can do it with pellets. It works great. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jonnymack said:

Great looking bacon doc! I would add that the book I use (Charcuterie) says you hot smoke at those temps to an internal of around 155.  I think I get what you are saying about not being able to "cold smoke" in a BGE but you can actually smoke at ambient temps on a BGE with an amaze-n-smoker and pellets. I use Traeger Apple pellets. You can't do it with lit lump but you can do it with pellets. It works great. 

That is what I meant when I said you could use the BGE as a vessel to cold smoke.  Around my parts you can only do that in the winter becasue the ambient temperature is too hot and the food spoils.  We did a bunch of smoked cheese in January.

I think you were the first person that explained smoking and curing to me years ago.  As a newbie I did not understand the difference between curing and marinating.  Don't you have a rig where one Egg feeds smoke to a second one for cold smoking?

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    jonnymack said:

That is what I meant when I said you could use the BGE as a vessel to cold smoke.  Around my parts you can only do that in the winter becasue the ambient temperature is too hot and the food spoils.  We did a bunch of smoked cheese in January.

I think you were the first person that explained smoking and curing to me years ago.  As a newbie I did not understand the difference between curing and marinating.  Don't you have a rig where one Egg feeds smoke to a second one for cold smoking?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you have to worry about spoilage give that it is cured.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    stompbox said:
    jonnymack said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you have to worry about spoilage give that it is cured.

There are foods that I am not going to cold smoke for a long time in 95 degree outside temps.  I am interested to hear what the consensus is.  Cold smoking and cure flavors and preserves, but doesn't cook.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    There is nothing like eggs fried in bacon grease. Mmmmmm
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    There is nothing like eggs fried in bacon grease. Mmmmmm

I had not realized it until I cut the skin away, and packaged the bacon that bacon fat is the slipperiest stuff there is :-)  My daughter took the skins to flavor soups and cooked vegitables.