Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome thermos bending?

Options
I just tried to pull my large dome thermo out and it took some force and actually chipped some glaze on the way out. Thing is it was bent, I didn't push it into anything during a cook. I checked my other eggs and it seems like these thermos bend on their own, or is it just me?
Seattle, WA

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    There should have been just a clip holding it in place on the inside of the dome. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If too much crud builds up on the shaft, it can be difficult to remove. If you had to twist and tug to remove it, I would suggest recalibrating. Never had a bent one though.

@stompbox, the clip is unnecessary and even gets in the way sometimes. Many of us removed it and tossed it in the trash years ago.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    Options
    I've had my dome thermometer bend and I contributing it to cooking two pork buts on CGW's, adjustable rack (one on each rack).  It dome is so heavy, that you never really feel that the thermometer is hitting the food.  Now, I always make sure I position the top but just slightly toward the back.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As above, toss the clip (or use it as a drip pan spacer) and get yourself a wine cork to run the thermo stem through and then into the BGE.  Gives you more clearance and if you impale any food you won't bend the stem.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As above, toss the clip (or use it as a drip pan spacer) and get yourself a wine cork to run the thermo stem through and then into the BGE.  Gives you more clearance and if you impale any food you won't bend the stem.  FWIW-
    +1 On that.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The temp gauge stem is stainless steel. It's not going to warp or bend as your cooking.

PSHome said above, dome is heavy and you would probably not even feel it bend as it was lowered against the food.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yeah no clip, I'd argue that it does bend on its own as I don't remember cooking anything high in the dome making contact but ok. Just found it odd,
    Seattle, WA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Yeah no clip, I'd argue that it does bend on its own as I don't remember cooking anything high in the dome making contact but ok. Just found it odd,
    It sticks down lower in the dome than you think. Pork Butt cooked indirect at felt/gasket level could hit. Also depends on the placement/angle of the hole drilled in your dome. I have seen big differences on some Eggs over the years.
    You never know...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:

+100

I have a couple thousand wine corks, and I will add that as another use for them. I have used them for so many things.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Have corked mine for years. Works
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    After I got a TelTru therm, as it was longer than OEM, I half-corked it.  Best reason for doing that was to be able to rotate the therm dial to the set target temp at 12 o'clock, so you can easily see want the temp is from far away.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I still use the clip on mine but I added a 1/2" copper pipe coupler between the thermometer and the dome. It made a good spacer to get it away from the food and still reads the temp fine.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    2 of my 3 are bent but I'm pretty sure my Dutch Oven is responsible for it.  They still work fine.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Have corked mine for years. Works
    Do you have to 'soak the cork'  Just kidding, couldn't resist.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • cactusjk
    cactusjk Posts: 14
    Options
    So how exactly do you do the cork mod on a mini?  Assume the probe will not fall out if the lid is up with only the cork.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    cactusjk said:
    So how exactly do you do the cork mod on a mini?  Assume the probe will not fall out if the lid is up with only the cork

no it will not fall out. Just take a nail or drill bit or something close in thickness and poke through cork. Slide thermometer in hole. Don't put too much force or you could damage thermometer. 
  • cactusjk
    cactusjk Posts: 14
    Options
    About how long should the cork be ~1"?  Thanks for the help.  I have had a LBGE since 1997 and have decided to get smarter!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have a large. I bought a 1/2" copper pipe coupler, put it between the thermometer and the dome, and left the clip on the inside of the dome.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Chubbs
    Options
    cactusjk said:
    About how long should the cork be ~1"?  Thanks for the help.  I have had a LBGE since 1997 and have decided to get smarter!
    I have used a whole cork and cut on in half. As long as you have enough of the tip in the dome to get accurate reading you are good. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    All you have to do is flip the clip thing and put the thermo back through. 
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    Can someone post a oicture of what has been described with the wine cork? I can't seem to picture ir.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Ive bent at least five thermos probes, especially when using rig extender and multigrid system from cgs.   I always make a mental note to remove the thermo before a high in the dome cook and i always forget.   Too many beers?
    Anyway, injust use bent probes.  I wish bge made a shorter stem thermo but that idea of placing clip on outside of dome is brilliant.   Ill try it

I rely heavily on guru and use guru reading to fine tune dome thermo calibration by clipping guru on dome thermo probe.   I usually need to adjust one a year.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited April 2016
    Options
    matoch said:
    Can someone post a oicture of what has been described with the wine cork? I can't seem to picture ir.
    @matoch ... look under the thermometer dial in the first and third picture of this thread:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1909955/p1

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Corks are free, but if you want to go with a different look use wooden toy wheels. Staining and finishing them is optional though!  =)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    They don't bend on their own. It's from hitting a pork butt, turkey, etc. as you close it 

Happened to my large a long time ago 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    edited April 2016
    Options
    matoch said:
    @matoch ... look under the thermometer dial in the first and third picture of this thread:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1909955/p1

Thanks. I was clearly over complicating it. That is as simple as it was described :)
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • castironman
    Options
    I currently have mine set like @Lit demonstrated above. Simple and works with cooks up on the AR extender (Large Egg). 

If the temperature shown is the average of the entire stem.. does the exposed stem outside the dome skew the reading?

I am curious if anyone has ever tried to clip a few inches off the thermometer stem? or is there a quality aftermarket short stem thermo that would allow the gauge to sit lower profile?

It's like a cross between a hurricane and a ship that's run aground
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    just curious with the cork users, have you checked the same temp with and without the cork. my 2.5 inch teltru measures low by a little more than 10 percent compared to a 4 inch stem. it doesnt make a difference with most cooks but i do compensate with low and slows by adding 10 percent to the gage reading
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Options
    just curious with the cork users, have you checked the same temp with and without the cork. my 2.5 inch teltru measures low by a little more than 10 percent compared to a 4 inch stem. it doesnt make a difference with most cooks but i do compensate with low and slows by adding 10 percent to the gage reading
    On my slow cooks I use my grate probe to get that temp and go by that. I think the cork may alter slightly but not enough to make a huge difference. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ... If the temperature shown is the average of the entire stem.. does the exposed stem outside the dome skew the reading? ...

@castironman ... this is one of the FAQs ( http://www.teltru.com/t-faq.aspx ) addressed on the Tell-Tru website:

- Is a bimetal thermometer tip sensitive?

Yes. For the most accurate temperature reading the stem must be immersed into the medium at least 2-3". Unique to all Tel-Tru bimetal thermometers is a groove on the stem that equals the minimum immersion depth so you won't have to measure.

I would make sure that the groove/dent is inside the dome a quarter inch or so ... otherwise the ceramic temps will contribute towards dampening temp swings.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max