Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Haters

Options
13»

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    you can always do what i did to my tuna-melts when i was a bus driver, hold it under your armpit to warm up.

i know a weird one from a guy who shall remain nameless... anyway, rodney likes to store food in various folds of his body fat.  sometimes he goes a few days and forgets where some of them are.  when steven was cleaning him with a sponge on a stick, he found what must have been eggplant parmigiana tucked under his panniculus
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Holy hell. I'm laughing my ass off. Glad I'm the only one in the office. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    you can always do what i did to my tuna-melts when i was a bus driver, hold it under your armpit to warm up.

i know a weird one from a guy who shall remain nameless... anyway, rodney likes to store food in various folds of his body fat.  sometimes he goes a few days and forgets where some of them are.  when steven was cleaning him with a sponge on a stick, he found what must have been eggplant parmigiana tucked under his panniculus

Thanks for acknowledging the stick. Folks could get the wrong impression.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    found a pic of you with the stick moments after finishing his bath

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Where's the tasty snack?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    He does get sleepy when it's done

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    jonnymack said:
    hondabbq said:

He still was pissed at me about it. He bashed all my posts when I was making BBQ, sausages, meat sticks, bacon. I don't know why he was so mad at me. Ive never met the guy.

Some people are just a$$holes. Sometimes it's just as easy as that.

Honda.....One thing I have learned in life.....you can't reason with someone who is angry. No way of knowing what really makes people angry......(shaking my head).

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I've never had any one bash me for owning an egg. Around here, everyone seems to have pellet grills. If anything, I bash them for not having to do anything but plug it in and tell it the temp you want. An egg is a lot more work, you have a fire to control. And no one around here can use their pellet grills in the winter, they don't keep temp because it's too cold and they're jealous cuz I'm constantly grilling/smoking something. They always say,"that thing works I the winter?"
    NW IOWA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    I've never had any one bash me for owning an egg. Around here, everyone seems to have pellet grills. If anything, I bash them for not having to do anything but plug it in and tell it the temp you want. An egg is a lot more work, you have a fire to control. And no one around here can use their pellet grills in the winter, they don't keep temp because it's too cold and they're jealous cuz I'm constantly grilling/smoking something. They always say,"that thing works I the winter?"
    Some pellet grill makers sell thermal covers/blankets so they can be used in colder weather.

I was going to buy a Yoder YS640 a while back but decided that pellet grills are too much like "easy bake ovens". :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Philly35 said:
    Some pellet grill makers sell thermal covers/blankets so they can be used in colder weather.

I was going to buy a Yoder YS640 a while back but decided that pellet grills are too much like "easy bake ovens". :)
    I'm looking at a Yoder right now. I'll take the "easy bake".  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited February 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Philly35 said:

I will never own a dog or a grill that needs a blanket to function in the winter.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Philly35 said:

I'm looking at a Yoder right now. I'll take the "easy bake".  :)
    Yoder is by far the best pellet option IMO.  If I ever decide to get a larger, set and forget so I can sleep and cater. I'll be picking up a Yoder.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Philly35 said:

I will never own a dog or a grill that needs a blanket to function in the winter.
    The Yoder doesn't have to have the blanket to function in winter it just help save fuel.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I had a traeger pellet, upgraded to a yoder ys640 and it worked fine in the winter with no thermal blanket.... then upgraded to a stick burner.... Wouldn't go back to a pellet grill..... My set it and forget it smoker is my egg

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    There's little egg hate here in Atlanta. Personally I think it's technique over equipment. My BIL has an Akorn and can out cook most folks. 
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    I had a traeger pellet, upgraded to a yoder ys640 and it worked fine in the winter with no thermal blanket.... then upgraded to a stick burner.... Wouldn't go back to a pellet grill..... My set it and forget it smoker is my egg
    When you say stick burner is that a Texas style steel grill with a separate smoke chamber?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Glad I'm getting windshield time this week! :lol: BGE Pffft
    https://youtu.be/yF-7LcMHTn8

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    When you say stick burner is that a Texas style steel grill with a separate smoke chamber?
    Yeah, the fire box is off to the side, and I feed it logs for heat and smoke.  No doubt I love my egg though, that's why I just upgraded my medium to a large.  Just thought I would enjoy a pellet cooker.  I kept upgrading my pellet cookers until I got to a stick burner.  The yoder ys640 is built like a tank though.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Slabotnick
    Options
    A lot of my Texas friends were the ones that I found out all had eggs, and told me that I just needed to go buy one. Now that I have mine, I just send them pics of all the beautiful food that I've made. I'm working on converting all my friends to get eggs. All my friends are just upset their wives haven't allowed them to buy one yet.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I made brisket for packer cards game tailgate.  The non playoff game. Cooked a costco prime packer 16.3 lbs for 23 hrs at 210.  Crutch wrapped and cranked heat up to 275 for last 2 hrs.   Cherry chunks in fire R.O. lump.  Pan with San Tan Devils ale in it and a two day uncovered dry rub of salt and pepper in fridge.   Smoke ring was awesome.   

An attendee at the tailgate asked what it was cooked on amd that this brisket was better than his uncle's competition brisket cooked in a drum smoker.   When i told him i used a BGE to make it he said, "Thats what i been tellin my uncle to get!"

Priceless
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Glad I'm getting windshield time this week! :lol: BGE Pffft

A lot of builders and contractors around here do that. They take burritos and whatever else they plan to eat for lunch, wrap them in foil and stick them on the engine block on the way to go somewhere (supply run or whatever). Then they get a hot lunch.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Lit said:
    cajunrph said:
    There's an old saying, "Work smarter not harder." We're just the smarter ones. 
    But saying that makes you just like them. I have multiple eggs and still use them but if I have time my vertical run as a stick burner produces better results than the egg. I have to add 1 small split an hour and there is no fussing with vents it stays wide open all the time. I can also cook 20 racks of ribs for probably $2 worth of wood and get a consistent smoke ring every time. It takes maybe a minute an hour to open the door and put a piece of wood on top. Like someone said above the egg is good at most things but not the best at any. Not bashing eggs at all they put out good BBQ but there are other options out there.
    Incorrect my friend. I never said my Egg was superior to the offset smoker. Sure an offset smoker may produce better smoked que than an Egg. I for one don't have the room for an offset smoker, a quality one not a POS, nor do I have the time to deal with cooking on one. Secondly, how much, if at all better is a subjective question. If offset smokers were undoubtedly superior, then no other smokers would win any comps. And that just ain't what's happening. Many have built an UDS for less than $300 and whip many a offset smoker hind end at major comps. It seems you are a tad of an elitist regarding your smoker. I guarantee you there's plenty of cooks out there who will produce superior que vs what you can smoke on an all nighter on your offset smoker with an Egg and a temperature controller and a full nights sleep. Heck, the UDS crowd can even party at night, get some shut eye and put their stuff on in the morning and be done before you are done and produce a winning product. What I said still holds true. You have on one had a smoker that requires hourly attention, years of experience to understand how the smoker reacts to vent adjustment, and the cook has to be more or less tied to the smoker for the duration of the cook. Or on the other hand, an Egg with a temperature controller and a rookie can produce knock it out the park results with a full nights sleep. Both produce great results. One guy gets a good nights sleep, the other looks like hell in the morning and is falling asleep at right after the food is served. Both made some good que, but one worked smarter, the other worked harder. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• Eggzellent
    Options

There is something very wrong happening here.

yep...you can count on somebody chiming in here next to claim: "I am the Walrus"..