Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Haters

Options

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    Options

I've never experienced any hate for the Egg, but I don't live in traditional BBQ land here in NJ.

Some are curious about it, and the food lays any doubts to rest.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    jakebge said:
    'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
    And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off
    Words to live by, from the preeminent philosopher of our time.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blasting said:

BBQ isn't much of a thing here in phoenix or where I came from.  In fact, nobody I know even owns a smoker of any sort.

Dude.....In the summer months, do you actually use lump or just put the meat on the egg? Regardless, show them the way.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I thought this was a post about BGE owners who hated other types of cookers.lol
    So true.  Majority of the peeps here who say the egg is a jack of all trades master of none, at one time stated the egg produces the moistest chicken due to the ceramic.  hahaha

Plenty of haters on both sides.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jonnymack
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I had a guy rip on me about my egg, on an ATV/outdoor site I frequent. He had a Vision Kamado cooker. They are a decent product but not the egg by comparison.

Others chimed in saying the egg is the Cadillac of the Kamados, while other Vision owners talked about the various concerns with them, ie having to duct tape the ash basket cause it causes extra air flow etc.

He still was pissed at me about it. He bashed all my posts when I was making BBQ, sausages, meat sticks, bacon. I don't know why he was so mad at me. Ive never met the guy.

Some people are just a$$holes. Sometimes it's just as easy as that.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I had a guy rip on me about my egg, on an ATV/outdoor site I frequent. He had a Vision Kamado cooker. They are a decent product but not the egg by comparison.

Others chimed in saying the egg is the Cadillac of the Kamados, while other Vision owners talked about the various concerns with them, ie having to duct tape the ash basket cause it causes extra air flow etc.

He still was pissed at me about it. He bashed all my posts when I was making BBQ, sausages, meat sticks, bacon. I don't know why he was so mad at me. Ive never met the guy.

I have a large and a small bge but couldn't pass up a medium vision for 199 bucks from sams. Its a decent enough product, but its just different to control the temps. Once the fire is going you have to totally shut down the top vent. Even closed it still has airflow (by design). If you want low temps you have to totally close top and then adjust with bottom damper. (Might help out your friends-itvtook me a bit to figure it out). 

Little Rock, AR

• nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    I've had a few comments about it not being real BBQ or whatever.  No fucks are given.  I've got thick skin and an elastic heart. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @nolabrew - That's what I like about you, Brian.  You just don't give a f*ck!  ;) (except when it comes to making beer).
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I personally enjoy the endless BGE bashing I get from family and friends, and dish it right back.  What fun would it be if everyone liked the same team?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    not sure why i am supposed to care what others think about my grill.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Devils advocate here.....I have a home built Reverse Flow. It is my only experience with a stick burner. As far as the look of cooked food...will take it over the Egg anyday. Everything comes out a beautiful mahogany color. Not that smoke ring matters but last ribs had a smoke ring to the bone. Food tastes fantastic, once you figure a few things out. But it takes a lot more effort than the Egg. And to me it is sort of a one trick pony. It only cooks indirectly. As far as versatility goes will take the Egg anyday. But if you can dedicate the time to tending the fire the Reverse Flow is a better smoker. Only time I use the Egg for ribs anymore is when I can't baby sit the fire in the RF. But I am burning slightly green wood in the RF yet so this may change when my wood pile gets seasoned. 
    In all honesty...comparing the Egg to an offset, of any style, is an apples to oranges comparison. 
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    People are the worst.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    First world problems!  If I were ever given grief, I would upgrade to Friends 2.0.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

we've been over this time & time again at the meetings... you need to get your priorities straight there home slice
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Mix of jealousy and envy. Eggs, or any ceramic cooker, helps people cook who might not have such good results w something like a 55 gal drum. And they cost a good bit more, so one might be accused of buying skill. For those of us who continue to struggle w. thing like brisket, we know that's not quite true. And an old friend managed to find a used one on Craigslist at a price he could afford. First thing he cooked, he had to admit that the years he had spent using cheap metal cookers had pretty much been a waste.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Can't say that I've run into haters even amongst my many offset cooker brethren. But, $hit hellfire when I grow up I wanna be just like Donny Baker "I swear to God that's true!"
    @tarheelmatt Thx for that dude cracks me up (already was a subscriber but, that clip is gold). Ya gotta cleat it before you eat it! :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Golfguy77
    Options
    Just jealous they don't have one...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

BBQ isn't much of a thing here in phoenix or where I came from.  In fact, nobody I know even owns a smoker of any sort.

Dude.....In the summer months, do you actually use lump or just put the meat on the egg? Regardless, show them the way.

I hear you @northGAcock.  Everybody I know has a gas grill and uses it to cook the occasional steak and burgers.  While everyone seems to enjoy my food, nobody has ever made the jump to get into it on their own.  

For us on the forum, cooking is a lifestyle.  The benefits of this hobby are reaped daily.  I wish I would have started earlier.

Phoenix 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    hondabbq said:

Some people are just a$$holes. Sometimes it's just as easy as that.

That's just it.

He kept going on how I was saying everybody elses cooks were not good when all I was doing was offering advice that was asked of me. I was a sort of go to person there, there were a couple that had some BBQ experience but not many. It was kind of like when I come here for answers. You go where you know you will get the proper help.

Then he started bashing me and the egg saying I was saying it was the be all and end all. I just reiterated the shortcomings of others that were mentioning it. I had no personal experience with the Vision, and I made that perfectly clear.  I don't know why he was so bitter.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Zippylip said:

we've been over this time & time again at the meetings... you need to get your priorities straight there home slice
    zip, do you know a good lawyer?  and no, not you, i said a "good one"

why are you so hurtful. it's supposed to be fun here.  personal attacks just make everyone sad.

also, f*ck steven
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

why are you so hurtful. it's supposed to be fun here.  personal attacks just make everyone sad.

also, f*ck steven
    I will not air this dirty laundry here sir but to say your conduct sickens me, you and that dirty little troll know exactly what I'm talking about, so yes f him too.

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Zippylip said:

If he doesn't come around soon he is definitely out of the association. Cut me and I bleed green

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Zippylip said:

zip, do you know a good lawyer?  and no, not you, i said a "good one"

also, f*ck steven
    Sounds like you two need to hug it out.... OR.... Do a jingle off!  

https://youtu.be/J8G_eTZb-eQ
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    I will not air this dirty laundry here sir but to say your conduct sickens me, you and that dirty little troll know exactly what I'm talking about, so yes f him too.

If he doesn't come around soon he is definitely out of the association. Cut me and I bleed green

you just can't take the fact that steven calls me every night now and not you.

not that i answer the phone or anything....

as for dirty laundry.  if this is about what you THINK you saw when steven and i were in the hot tub, then just forget it.  we were heating up steaks before putting them on the grill.  there's a few threads here about this method, maybe you should take the time to read them.  many snobby types (the kind with BGE caps and shirts and bumperstickers) like to call it "sous vide", but i call it, "holding a steak between your naked thighs until it heats up while sitting in a rental hot tub with a naked canadian troll who is also holding a steak between HIS naked thighs until it ALSO heats up".

if you have a problem with that, then you can heat up your own steak next time.  you never thanked me when i did it for you anyway.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Zippylip said:

you just can't take the fact that steven calls me every night now and not you.

not that i answer the phone or anything....

as for dirty laundry.  if this is about what you THINK you saw when steven and i were in the hot tub, then just forget it.  we were heating up steaks before putting them on the grill.  there's a few threads here about this method, maybe you should take the time to read them.  many snobby types (the kind with BGE caps and shirts and bumperstickers) like to call it "sous vide", but i call it, "holding a steak between your naked thighs until it heats up while sitting in a rental hot tub with a naked canadian troll who is also holding a steak between HIS naked thighs until it ALSO heats up".

if you have a problem with that, then you can heat up your own steak next time.  you never thanked me when i did it for you anyway.

yeah- but I thought the steaks were supposed to be in bags?????
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ....and not next to "sacks"
    i never mentioned bags.  how else are you going to season them?

you get a little saltiness, and (with steven) a particularly familiar yet hard to identify 'earthiness'.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    best described as New Delhi bus driver
    Options
    I'll have to pass on the teabag T-bone.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

There is something very wrong happening here.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns