Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp controlers

Options
I'm looking to purchase a temp controler for my XL BGE. Like to have some input from anyone that is using one.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    For simplicity and portability ... I recommend the 'Party Q' by BBQ Guru, sure you can spend lots more - get tons of Bell's and Whistles' ... but for me, It's the 'Q' ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    I like the Flameboss 200 the most.

Easy to use, simple to setup,and great customer support.

If you want to save a few buck then look at the Flameboss 100.

Give @stlcharcoal a shout for the best prices.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    That about the iq120.  Not to expensive and has had some decent reviews.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    DigiQ from BBQ GURU
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I've had my Stoker II wifi for a year. Love it. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    PartyQ requires nothing but batteries so if you don't have ready access to power and want to keep it simple, its a good choice. Almost bought one (lost a couple ebay auctions) since I have to run an extension cord to my grill area.  I ended-up buying the Flameboss 200.  Pretty easy to use and I really like the wifi feature that allows me to see the meat temp plus track and change pit temp from the phone.  Very handy in cold weather or if I want to leave the house and be away for a few hours.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I use a Flame Boss 200. It's easy to set up, easy to use, and very good at maintaining the desired temperature.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Jhwilkin
    Options
    FlameBoss 200 all day. Easy setup, dependable, and great customer service. 
    Concord, NC-LBGE
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    DigiQ DX2 here.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    These responses should tell you that there are several great controllers out there. The decision is in finding the one that best fits your needs. Good luck. 
  • Golfguy77
    Options
    DigiQ Dx2 here too.  Great for long cooks overnight or if you won't be around the house during the cook.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    +1 for the wifi stoker, but the extra cables are expensive.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've been using the partyQ previously mentioned for the last 6 months or so.  It works well, but I'm probably going to sell it and look for something that plugs in.  

I'm just not a fan of always changing batteries for each l&s.

Phoenix 
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    +1 for flame boss 200.  Love it for all the reasons previously mentioned.
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Love my Stoker. Hate their lack of customer service. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Very impressed with my Flameboss 200
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I don't like them. I sold my DigiQ and gave away my PartyQ.
    Use the money for lump and traveling to Fests. You will become a much better cook. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I don't like them. I sold my DigiQ and gave away my PartyQ.
    Use the money for lump and traveling to Fests. You will become a much better cook. 
    Are you saying people who use controllers are not good cooks!  I bet you hate Bernie Sanders too.  You bigot.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... now, now ... respect your elders and stop being so Trumpish.

@Mickey is a kindly old gentleman who is quite forgetful ... like a lot of folks on the forum.  He misplaced his daisy wheels and now can't cook low-n-slow anymore.  Plus, if he cooks too slow, he tends to get distracted and forget that he's cooking ... witness the charcoal wing episode.  That's why he's a big proponent of the Turbo (Temperature Un-Regulated By Operator) Style of cooking ... the food will finish cooking before he wanders off on another task.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like the Flameboss 200 the most.

Easy to use, simple to setup,and great customer support.

If you want to save a few buck then look at the Flameboss 100.

Give @stlcharcoal a shout for the best prices.
    @stlcharcoal, sells more then just the Flameboss 200.  He sells a bunch of different brands of controls.  Send him an IM and he can help you out.  He has pretty good pricing that is hard to beat.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Mickey ... understand where you're coming from, in fact I've got so many things to do, that when I procrastinate I'm really multi-tasking.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Mickey thank you for the compliment!  Now I feel bad poking fun at you, even if you are a luddite. ;)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    DigiQ DX2. Easy, reliable, durable. Used it a lot, never had the first problem. Set it, forget it, until time comes to take your cook off the grill. Great for windy days.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Mickey thank you for the compliment!  Now I feel bad poking fun at you, even if you are a luddite. ;)
    Poke anytime. You gave earned your stripes. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I have a BBQ Guru CyberQ and love it! They are awesome and never had any trouble when I learned how to use it :)
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Arrick70 said:
    I'm looking to purchase a temp controler for my XL BGE. Like to have some input from anyone that is using one.

First off.... Welcome aboard. 
    2nd...how long have you owned your egg?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    I just got the CyberQ. I love the ability to use an app to track and control the temp if I am doing something while i'm not home. I was smoking a turkey the other night and it was pouring the rain, it was nice seeing the temperature and not having to walk outside in the rain...also glad that my SS rain cap came in two days before.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Love my Stoker. Been through 3 gens without any issues.  Temp control is very useful and compliments manual mode.   I'm in the camp that it's a good thing and will only help you.  Enjoy. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Don't buy a temp controller unless (until) you can control it sans the controller. Even then it's not necessary. That said I like my Stoker Wi-Fi. But, I rarely use it unless it's an overnight or very long L&S that I don't have time to babysit and monitor. More often than not I'm happy to chill out on the Lanai or deck egging, listening to tunes, drinking cocktails and just in general relaxing. Bottom line it's your money...do and buy what you want. But, learn temp control w/out controls as it will serve you well later. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL