Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Special Eats When Far From Home?

Options

Comments

• HellrodKC
    Options
    I always make a point to hit In n Out and Whataburger when I am in their respective regions. Other than that, I always just try to find the local spots. I'm a huge fan of finding local sub/hero/grinder shops when I need a quick meal as well
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    When traveling, I try to avoid anything available at home. We use Yelp to find really cool places to eat with a local following. My Beautiful Wife and I have used Yelp, for several years, around the world, and have not been disappointed yet. 
    We have found the coolest places that most people typically just drive by. I would recommend this app to those  that travel extensively, and just can't stomach FF/Hotel Room/TV for another night.

For the past 2 years (lots of travel) used TripAdvisor. Same outcome as you but will give Yelp a try. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Mickey said:
    YukonRon said:
    When traveling, I try to avoid anything available at home. We use Yelp to find really cool places to eat with a local following. My Beautiful Wife and I have used Yelp, for several years, around the world, and have not been disappointed yet. 
    We have found the coolest places that most people typically just drive by. I would recommend this app to those  that travel extensively, and just can't stomach FF/Hotel Room/TV for another night.

For the past 2 years (lots of travel) used TripAdvisor. Same outcome as you but will give Yelp a try. 
    I too have found Yelp to be very reliable.  Just make sure the places have more than a few reviews- you can sort by cuisine type, distance, price, etc. 

plus you can see pics of the place and food and see what dishes the other reviewers found to be superior. 

I travel every week and prefer to find the good local spots instead of chains. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I too have found Yelp to be very reliable.  Just make sure the places have more than a few reviews- you can sort by cuisine type, distance, price, etc. 

plus you can see pics of the place and food and see what dishes the other reviewers found to be superior. 

I travel every week and prefer to find the good local spots instead of chains. 

We use Yelp and have had good luck.  You have to read the reviews and not just go by the average star rating since some people will give a bad rating because a place doesn't have their brand of beer or the kids menu wasn't very good, etc.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    edited February 2016
    Options
    45k in travel miles over the past 18 months of the retired two years. Fan of TripAdvisor ( will add Yelp to the line up). 
    We are  weird in that we both like to eat at Whole Foods if one in the area, and found lots. Big on the list is brew pubs as well. Then small Mom & Pop places. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,510
    Options
    where should I eat in Dallas next week?  i'll be there for 3 nights.
    I think it's called "The Mansion", a bit pricey but incredible food.  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I find it funny that only conservative businesses are examined.  Let's check out who supports Planned Parenthood with their abortion and baby parts retail business.  Much more hate involved in this I think.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/07/21/meet-the-41-companies-that-donate-directly-to-planned-parenthood/
    Flint, Michigan
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    When we are in Calgary visiting family, we always stop at "Tom's House of Pizza" and order a CJ's combo. Never ever do we not go. Used to frequent this chain when it was in BC as a teenager. Then it disappeared. Stumbled into it about 10 yrs ago and been making a point of eating there ever since. And the pizza tastes eggactually the same as it did way back when.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    poster said:
    Im kinda excited to try a sonic dog in a couple weeks. never been, but see the commercials everyday. They look good, are they? 
    Don't over-expect. 

Little Rock, AR

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 697
    Options
    poster said:
    Im kinda excited to try a sonic dog in a couple weeks. never been, but see the commercials everyday. They look good, are they? 
    Don't over-expect. 
    Agreed. It's a fast food hot dog.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sonic Dogs are totally, PI. That is just one of the reasons why I like them.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The American Cancer Society is not a charity.
    Options
    where should I eat in Dallas next week?  i'll be there for 3 nights.

Pappasittos, (Plato del mar)  pappadeaux.... (black oyster shrimp rue)... You'll thank me.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    The March of Dimes is a charity.  Their very name is a plea for money.  The point is companies on the left side of the political spectrum aren't paragons of virtue as you infer by bad mouthing companies owned by conservatives.  Trolls living in glass houses shouldn't start hurling stones.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • schafe98
    Options
    I grew up in PA.  Best place to get a Philly Cheesesteak.  Others try, but don't succeed.  Don't miss out on that!  I always grab Chocolate Munchkins from Dunkin Donuts as well.  We don't have any of those in Northern CA.
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have not traveled in quite some time, but I work in different cities different days and I  bookmark good phó, pastrami and or ruebens.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hey, I just wanted to talk about driving to PA and Wilma being excited to have the opportunity to dine at Chick-fil-a.  This political tack happened because Nola likes to troll and inject liberal horsecrap into a large percentage of discussions.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • gonepostal
    Options
    blind99 said:
    To answer the question:
    kenosha, wi: brat stop
    Rochester, ny: dinosaur bbq
    hilton head, sc: sea shack

Haha...i have been to the brat stop twice on my way to Summerfest in Milwaukee! We brought home a ton of cheese and brats the last time up there.
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • nolaegghead
    Options
      This political tack happened because Nola likes to troll and inject liberal horsecrap into a large percentage of discussions.  
    Well, you're half right.
      This political tack happened because Nola likes to troll and inject liberal horsecrap into a large percentage of discussions.  
    Well, you're half right.
    No, you started the politics alright.  The liberal horsecrap is self-evident.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Simmer down, Fred.  Try accepting the fact that there are people with other opinions in the world, and get along with them.
    Options
    @YukonRon my post is not a statement on PP in any way. I simply believe that if I am giving money to a charity that the money should stay with that charity. Nothing more. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    I just looked at their website. Seems like a charity to me. Maybe you can post something from Wikipedia to prove me wrong. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @YukonRon my post is not a statement on PP in any way. I simply believe that if I am giving money to a charity that the money should stay with that charity. Nothing more. 
    Plenty of charities give to PP.  They're not a charity, they're a medical health service provider for poor women.  They're a good recipient of charitable donations because the money goes a long way in helping people, mostly young women, who don't have many other options.
    Options
    I didn't mean for you to take it in that manner. It was not a disagreement with you. Just a launch pad, my apologies.
    I was just reading the thread, and when I read yours, I responded with some information and viewpoints regarding a very sore point in our society. I should have just responded on a separate comment,  but I liked what you said.
    I, just as you, find it extremely disingenuous for charities to "regift" according to the donors wishes, allowing the original donor to say they are clean.
    There are many issues I have opinions on; hate groups, and faith based extremists, are the two that stir my emotions the most. Sorry your post got nailed by me. It was not meant to be at you, just the two issues I mentioned.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    It's all good Mr. Ron @YukonRon