Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Large Eggs - Side by Side or Opposite Ends?

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited February 2016 in EGG Table Forum
I'm having a custom table built for my two large eggs. Wondering if I should put them side by side on one end or put one on each end with the workspace in between. The reason for putting them side by side is so that I have a place to put a hot PS, woo, AR, grid, etc. when only using one egg. The tabletop will be granite so it can withstand hot items, but I'm afraid of marking up the surface by very hot items repeatedly being placed on it. 

Also, when I have both eggs going, seems easier to stay in one place and cook rather than go from end to end. Table will be about 10 ft overall.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'd probably go side by side in the middle and have prep room on each side of either one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Split them, work space in between. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited February 2016
    Options
    One of my first cooking set-ups in my backyard was two larges with a nice 7' stainless table in between them. I found it worked great getting full use of the work table with each Egg.

Found an old pic-

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have an 8.5 foot table and went prep / serving in middle  I have diffetent hardware than you......and here was my logic. I have my med on one side and have an opening for my MM on the other. The MM being portable, I can remove and replace with a chaffing rack or cooler. The flexibility was attractive to me. 

My table is made of wood with granit top, and I had a cover made for it. If only using one egg, I can pull the cover off of half the table and still have both prep and cook area. Just something to think about if open to the elements.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • marran8
    Options
    Fellow Jet Fan here... I think the space between would def work better without a doubt. This way in the event they are both going you wont have the challenge of need to reach over /past the inside egg, which you may eventual find as being kind of pain. Might also cause you to use the inside one more often than the outside when only one is going. But i could be over thinking it. Also I think visually its more impressive have each be its own totem on opposite ends, like towers on a BBQ castle. also if youre smoking different meats or woods youll be able smell the difference.. now im def overthinking it ;)

Please post the results would love to see it.
    Also, curious who is fabricating your grill table? what does something like that run?

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I was fighting this same battle this time last year. I had two larges and wanted them in one table. At first I wanted them close together and have space om either side of the eggs for pans etc. 

In the end I decided to put them at opposite ends of the table and have my work space in the middle. This was the best choice for me. A lot of time I am cooking on both eggs so I will have pans for both at the same time. I still have plenty of room, and the flow just works well for me. 

Here is a picture of before:

Here is a picture of after:

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • marran8
    Options
    I was fighting this same battle this time last year. I had two larges and wanted them in one table. At first I wanted them close together and have space om either side of the eggs for pans etc. 

In the end I decided to put them at opposite ends of the table and have my work space in the middle. This was the best choice for me. A lot of time I am cooking on both eggs so I will have pans for both at the same time. I still have plenty of room, and the flow just works well for me. 

Nice! - did you build yourself?
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks! I had it built. I am not that handy.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Here is a picture of after:

This is beautiful work. I'm not sure what method you use for ash clean out, but if you rotate the table nests so the legs are in the back and the sides, you will have better access to the draft door. Again, the setup is striking, first class!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks Pete! I love the new table. At the same time I had the table builder build a storage table for me with door and drawers. I have a place in the back that I can put a tv in so that it is completely concealed and out of the weather etc. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thanks Pete! I love the new table. At the same time I had the table builder build a storage table for me with door and drawers. I have a place in the back that I can put a tv in so that it is completely concealed and out of the weather etc. 

Can we see TV compartment?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Can we see TV compartment?  

I will have to take a picture of it. It is hard to see from the picture, but if you look closely on top right of the table you will see a black hinge. The section of wood in front of the hinge flips up, and I place the tv in the compartment and then flip the ledge back down. 

It works for me. 

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    That is a first class setup! 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That is a first class setup! 
    Thanks!

• HofstraJet
    Options
    DMW said:
    I'd probably go side by side in the middle and have prep room on each side of either one.

I like that thought. Best of both worlds. Workspace near each egg and yet the eggs are close to each other. Great idea!

I am having the table built by Brian Alan Tables.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    If you don't want to worry about 'marking up' your new table top, consider SOAPSTONE.    Impervious to most anything you can do to it, though it IS a softer material than granite.  
    Soapstone is, or WAS used as table surface of Chem Labs and such.  This means high chemical resistance.   
    Oil it every 6 months or so with MINERAL OIL.  
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Here's a drawing of the proposed table. 10 ft wide.  Will post the rest of the specs when I get back to a computer. Thoughts and comments are welcome. Thanks!  

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Here's a drawing of the proposed table. 10 ft wide.  Will post the rest of the specs when I get back to a computer. Thoughts and comments are welcome. Thanks!  

Put in a center leg at bottom and you can add some drawer glides that for 2 drawers under bottom shelf
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Forgot to post the specs.

Table overall height is 26". The lower shelf that the eggs sit on is at 11". This is so I can easily access from a wheelchair.  Table is 36" deep and instead of eggs being centered, they are pushed forward to be 5.5" from the front edge, also for easy access from a wheelchair.

Table is ordered and is 1-2 months away.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    That is going to be one big bad table @HofstraJet
    Phoenix 
  • DGarner211
    Options
    I'd rather have the prep space in between them.  It just seems to me I would have an easier time transitioning between two eggs if the food was close to each of them than, say, if I had chicken on one side and beef on the other and I had to run back and forth to deal with the food.

I've never actually used a 2 egg setup, though, so I may be out to lunch on that.  I intend to get a 2nd large one day, and I'll do the "1 at each end" setup.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ha! I was thinking the opposite. One on each end and common prep area in the middle. 
    My vote also.  Here is my cook area.  I would love to build up an outdoor kitchen.

PS Edit:  Having gone on and read all the posts.  If you want the Eggs together I would go for both at one end.  Why would you break up your large prep area into two small prep areas.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    If you want the Eggs together I would go for both at one end.  Why would you break up your large prep area into two small prep areas.
    Came to say this.

With Eggs in the center, you'll be constantly going back & forth between prep areas to get knives, cookware, moving cutting boards, swapping things around... it's your build and you'll be using it, so no one can question your call, but if I were using it I would want Eggs at each end.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I suppose one argument for having them together is if you ever wanted to get both eggs going and you were doing something active like grilling direct.  For example you had one egg loaded up with burgers and the other egg loaded up with brats both direct.   

Generally I like the idea of an egg at each end with one big prep area as opposed to two small prep areas.  However your table design looks like you have two big prep areas.   If you put them at each egg end that is a long way to travel between eggs if they are both grilling.   For low and slow/indirect cooks I don't think it would really matter.  

However you do it there will be times you wish you went the other way :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks great.  I would look at adding more drawer space or even some cabinets under there if they'll fit!  Good luck!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    However you do it there will be times you wish you went the other way :).  
    My belief is that those times will occur far more frequently if they're side-by-side! But to each, etc... good luck with the build.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Here's the thread on the finished product. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1195938/two-large-egg-table