Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Concrete Countertops- Kitchen-OT

So.... Did this today. Not affiliated in any way. Used Z Counterform by concrete countertop solutions. Solid company. 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Nice! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Dude.....you need to take a break. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I'm impressed.
    Can't wait to see the finished product.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Dude.....you need to take a break. 
    No $hit. Wife and kids out of town today so took advantage. Been working on kitchen for a few months. Knocked down a wall and opened it to den. Next phase is backsplash and painting cabinets. Never ends in my house. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Very nice. We were close to going that route but I was scared to mess it up. I am gonna try it on my egg setup outback once I get it. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Damn you had a busy day.  Have a drank on me buddy!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Chubbs
    Lit said:
    Very nice. We were close to going that route but I was scared to mess it up. I am gonna try it on my egg setup outback once I get it. 
    The pack of forms is $190. I have enough leftover to do my guest bath and  my egg table. My next big project is a big deck off my porch for the egg table. Going to do a dark concrete top for it. Really easy with this system. 
  • Chubbs
    GregW said:
    I'm impressed.
    Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Thanks bud. Will have the forms on for 48 hours them remove and sand then seal. The dealer will be a satin finish. Will decide if polish it or stick with satin. Then time for a backsplash. 
  • Lit
    Please post finished pics. 
  • Chubbs
    Lit said:
    Please post finished pics. 
    Will do. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Are you or can you stain them once cured? How long do you cure prior to sealer? Really nice edge profile btw. 
  • Chubbs
    Are you or can you stain them once cured? How long do you cure prior to sealer? Really nice edge profile btw. 
    Absolutely. They make pigment  additives you mix before pour but reviews were uneven coloring. They also have water soluble stains that you roll on after cure and sand. My wife opted for white counters which required a custom white mix so no staining on these but the concrete was 7x the cost of regular sand mix. Typical. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Chubbs said:
    Absolutely. They make pigment  additives you mix before pour but reviews were uneven coloring. They also have water soluble stains that you roll on after cure and sand. My wife opted for white counters which required a custom white mix so no staining on these but the concrete was 7x the cost of regular sand mix. Typical. 
    Thanks for the post. Very interesting. 
  • Chubbs
    edited February 2016
    Chubbs said:
    Thanks for the post. Very interesting. 
    My pleasure sir.  A few have posted about concrete counters for egg tables lately so thought I would share an easy product I have researched for 2 years. FWIW I have never poured concrete in my life until this. Really easy in this system 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    My neighbors are in the concrete countertop business. I've always have thought about doing our countertops since ours need updating. Appreciate the post. Will be following 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    edited February 2016
    I'll be looking at the finished product. I'm moving to an older house in the future. I'll be redoing the countertops at some time in the future. Thanks for posting. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Chubbs said:
    The pack of forms is $190. I have enough leftover to do my guest bath and  my egg table. My next big project is a big deck off my porch for the egg table. Going to do a dark concrete top for it. Really easy with this system. 
    Very impressive. I was considering concrete countertops a few years back but chickened out after a lot of research and went with granite. Never came across this pour in place type of mold. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  • Chubbs
    This is the easiest system ever. A few of our mixes were too stiff and therefore have some major sanding to do in those areas but other than that easy to do and less than a third the cost of the granite quote before install. Once granite installed I would have to imagine it is 5x the cost. 

Will post a pic once I remove forms. Them sanding like a mad man. Anyone have experience with sanding concrete?
  • Looks great Chubbs. Watching this closely as I would like try this on side table for egg. Really like my nest and how convenient to get access and clean etc. do you know your cost per square foot?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Chubbs said:
    This is the easiest system ever. A few of our mixes were too stiff and therefore have some major sanding to do in those areas but other than that easy to do and less than a third the cost of the granite quote before install. Once granite installed I would have to imagine it is 5x the cost. 

Will post a pic once I remove forms. Them sanding like a mad man. Anyone have experience with sanding concrete?
    Chubbs I have not worked with that specific product, but have sanded a fair amount of concrete, are you going to wet sand?  What does the product call for?  If you are dry sanding, you better create a dust barrier our the Mrs. Is going to hand you your butt.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice work we did wall knock out and remodel of kitchen 3 years ago. Best thing we did.
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Im really interested in how this turns out, been debating concrete as well due to the cost of granite. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Chubbs
    Jeremiah said:
    Im really interested in how this turns out, been debating concrete as well due to the cost of granite. 
    You can make it as smooth as granite. Win win in my book
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs said:

Chubbs I have not worked with that specific product, but have sanded a fair amount of concrete, are you going to wet sand?  What does the product call for?  If you are dry sanding, you better create a dust barrier our the Mrs. Is going to hand you your butt.
    The kit comes with diamond sanding hand pads in 60, 150 and 300 grit. I plan to use them manually (like most) but will use a sander if necessary. Think the pads will do the trick though. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    What's the cost per square ft roughly ?

im having granite installed soon, very good price for custom stone and installer its only 35 a square ft cut and installed. 

I like the concrete stuff though but don't have desire to do it myself. I also have around 75 sq ft to do as well and two islands.  Too much work!

looking forward to finished pics 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Nice looking project, anxious to see your results.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    @Chubbs can the sink be removed after the project is done? I can't tell from the pictures. Just wondered from a maintenance stand point.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I would have helped @Chubbs but you didn't call. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    LRW said:
    @Chubbs can the sink be removed after the project is done? I can't tell from the pictures. Just wondered from a maintenance stand point.
    Haha. Nope. This sink isn't coming out. Neither did the one in my old house with granite. 
  • Lit
    FATC1TY said:
    What's the cost per square ft roughly ?

im having granite installed soon, very good price for custom stone and installer its only 35 a square ft cut and installed. 

I like the concrete stuff though but don't have desire to do it myself. I also have around 75 sq ft to do as well and two islands.  Too much work!

looking forward to finished pics 
    I researched all this when we were choosing our counters my wife really wanted concrete. I do everything myself but I was scared to have this crack and have to redo it. I only found a couple people in Atlanta area that would do it and it was $60-$70 a ft to have someone else do it. If you did it yourself there are YouTube videos where people did it all for like $500 total on a decent sized kitchen. YouTube zcounterforms I would bet you could do it for under $10 a ft if you used the regular concrete and stained it.  There are steps though bubbles get caught on the edges of the forms and you have to use a filler to smooth it out and sand. The zcounterforms was the method I was gonna use in the kitchen and is what I am gonna use form my outdoor kitchen. There are some crazy kitchens online if you google where the sink and everything is concrete.