Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with my math

I was asked to cook enough pork to cover 240 servings for a youth basketball tournament next weekend.  So if I'm aiming for 240 servings at 1/4 lb each serving, that works out to 60 lbs of finished pork.

At Costco, I can buy boneless pork shoulder for $1.79/lb.  How much shrinkage should I expect out of a boneless pork shoulder?  40%?  More?  I know that nothing will be exact, I'm simply looking for a ballpark figure or a rule of thumb here.  When I do bone-in shoulder, I can usually expect that if I have a 10 lb shoulder, I'll get 6-7 lbs of finished pork.  I've never done a boneless shoulder, but obviously without the bone there, I should have a larger yield.  

Any thoughts?  Also, should I assume 1/4 lb per serving or go with 1/3 lb?
Large BGE

Neenah, WI

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I would go over 1/4# per person.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited February 2016
    I'm with @xfire_ATX - not knowing the age group of your youth eaters I would go with around 1/3 lb/serving.  At that number you will need around 80 lbs of cooked pork.  If you go with a 50% yield (a little conservative-but left-overs are great) then you need to start with 160 lbs.
    Shop around as the local Meijer store had boston butt for $0.99/lb a couple of weeks ago.  
    Edit: easy for me to help you spend your $$-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    if there are a lot of kids involved, 1/4 lb per total attendance might be right.  Not only are kids small, but a  lot of parents are raising their kids weirdly these days so some won't eat pulled pork.  Smoking Meat Forums says 50% shrinkage is a good planning tool.  and leftovers are indeed wonderful.  GL
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have read that for 1/4 lb per person you divide the number of servings by 2.4.  This is calculated based on 40% shrinkage (60%) yield.  With that number you would come out to exactly 100 lbs raw weight.  

Do you only have 1 large?  That is a lot of butt on a large.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I have ZERO experience cooking for a large crowd like that so I don't have any clue as to how much you should buy.

However, when cooking a butt I always trim  many ounces of fat off of them before putting in the cooker.

I would factor that into your equation when deciding how much meat to buy.

Also, better to have too much than too little.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    I'd buy at least for double pks at costcos.I know for an adult party that big, i'd do at least six double pks.
    good luck
  • 50 percent shrinkage???? I cooked a 10.5 pounder last weekend that was damn near 9 pounds when it came off... so maybe 20 ptercent loss at most, more like 16 percent if i round up. 

Disclaimer: i shred everything, the fat, the bark, every last bit and eat it. The fat is the best part. I throw nothing away once it comes out. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    If you can find a wholesale distributor, you might get a better rate.  I don't know if you are near a Restaurant Depot, but a $35 membership to KCBS (Kansas City BBQ Society) might pay for itself in this case.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I get worse shrinkage after a swim in a brisk lake.
    I get worse shrinkage after a swim in a brisk lake.
    Another example of the greatness of Seinfeld! Everything in life can be related to an episode of Seinfeld. True brilliance!!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    What is this shrinkage you speak of?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    YukonRon said:
    What is this shrinkage you speak of?
    See Sienfeld: George Costanza "shrinkage" episode. It was an instant classic.