Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Trivia ... Crusin' at 250

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
I used a large nested egg with a KAB, Smokeware cap, and a Flame Boss 200 for control while collecting data.  The ambient temp range was 20 ~ 40 degrees and the humidity was around 80% for all three tests.  My cook area is sheltered on three sides so the egg was not subjected to high winds. Rockwood lump was weighted (to 0.1 oz) before and after each of three cooks ... ~1 hr, ~6 hrs, ~17 hrs ... the difference was used to plot the lump usage axis.  For the time axis, hours at 250 degrees was used.

Here's a graph of the data with a best fit line for the nerds:

If we round off some of the numbers from the best fit line, then we can conclude that it takes approximately 2/3 of a pound of lump to warm up the egg to 250 degrees and then shut it down.  Once it's warmed up and is percolating along, it's burning approximately 1/3 of a pound of lump per hour.

If we assume that half the warm-up-cool-down lump is used to warm up the egg (1/3) pound, and there is 1-1/3 pounds left when the fire goes out (previous thread), we have 8-1/3 pounds left from a 10 pound (to the bottom of the notches) fill.  That equates to a 25 hour cook at 250 degrees.  Fill to the top of the fire ring and the cook time will drop to about 10 hours.  Fill to the top of the KAB and the cook time will drop to about 4 hours!

One observation:  Although the data suggests that you can cook for 25 hours on a 10 pound fill, you will be lucky to achieve that without an intervention at about the 15 hour point ... wiggle stick and leveling of the lump would be helpful.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    When you are weighing used lump, how do you distinguish between ash (unusable), fines (which still have burn potential), and partially burned lump (which may have potential to produce heat that isn't consistent with its weight, depending on how burned it is) ?
    NOLA
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @buzd504 ... I tried to take the data in a "this is how I cook" manner.  Thus, I used the KAB to shake out the ash and any lump that would fall through the basket.  I also used a KAB to weed out the fines and small pieces when loading the egg out of a fresh bag of lump.  I would argue that the amount of energy in any fines or small burnt pieces is a small variable.

There are other variables affecting the consumption of BTUs more than fines.  How much protein is on the grill?  I had one rack of ribs for the 6 hr test and one pork butt for the 17 hr test.  Had I cooked a half dozen of each, then the lump per hour value would have been higher and overshadowed the BTUs lost through the KAB.

Thanks for the question ...

• chadpsualum
    Options
    This screams for 1 more test around 12hrs.  Regardless, I love this kind of stuff.  Good work!

Btw...did you start with the approx the same amount of lump each time?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @chadpsualum ... the one hour cook was nominally 6 pounds, but the other two were nominally 10 pound cooks.  They're nominal fills 'cuz I had to account for the smoke wood that was used.  Converted the weight of smoke wood to BTUs and then converted the BTUs back to an equivalent amount of Rockwood lump.  Turns out that adjusting the fill numbers didn't change the final numbers from the curve that much.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    theres also the factor of direct verse inderect, i did an overnight butt cook raised grid direct once and it burned very little lump. maybe 2/3 less
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    always wondered how much more gets burned with a controller verse just doing it manually
    fukahwee maine

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @fishlessman ... forgot to mention that variable.  I used an AR rig with the oval stone, oval drip pan, and one grill.

Why do you think direct vs indirect affects lump usage?

• chadpsualum
    Options
    @fishlessman ... forgot to mention that variable.  I used an AR rig with the oval stone, oval drip pan, and one grill.

Heat retention of the platesetter?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    always wondered how much more gets burned with a controller verse just doing it manually
    Got to laugh about that question.  I though I had all the variables in hand before taking the first data point.  Turned out that lump in an egg is a true Pandora's box.  Every time I had one variable accounted for a couple more popped up to consider.

Your question is a good one ... that I don't know the answer to.  If you set up the controller like @stlcharcoal does - where the controller comes on only once in awhile - then the answer is probably they are the same.  If you set it up like I do - fan running around 20~30% of the time - then more air cool air is forced into the egg, is heated up to temp, and then vented to the outside.  That would suggest that lump usage with the controller is higher ... but, how much?

• Jeepster47
    Options

Okay, but that's an extremely small about of BTUs to heat it up ... and once at temp, it should not require extra BTUs to keep it at temp.  Yes/no?

• fishlessman
    Options

it either does something to the heat flow or its reflecting the heat down into the pit, i did a large cook once with an oversized stone in the large once, had a dome of around 200 and looking down there was a 1000 degree inferno under the stone. ive also had some neat effects using a round bottom deflector where i could get the dome hotter than the stone, actually had a blue flame hovering in the dome over the stone, broiler effect. direct verse inderect, the direct wins out large, but you need to start with very little lump and raise the grid as high as possible. heres a visual
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/507801/cooking-a-butt-direct

fukahwee maine

• chadpsualum
    Options

Okay, but that's an extremely small about of BTUs to heat it up ... and once at temp, it should not require extra BTUs to keep it at temp.  Yes/no?
    I was just thinking of insulating effects...
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @fishlessman ... hard to argue with facts, isn't it!  So, there's another escapee from Pandora's box. 

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Fishlessman's experience seems to support your position.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Fishlessman's experience seems to support your position.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Got to laugh about that question.  I though I had all the variables in hand before taking the first data point.  Turned out that lump in an egg is a true Pandora's box.  Every time I had one variable accounted for a couple more popped up to consider.

Your question is a good one ... that I don't know the answer to.  If you set up the controller like @stlcharcoal does - where the controller comes on only once in awhile - then the answer is probably they are the same.  If you set it up like I do - fan running around 20~30% of the time - then more air cool air is forced into the egg, is heated up to temp, and then vented to the outside.  That would suggest that lump usage with the controller is higher ... but, how much?
    Maybe not any difference.  When the fan is not running, is less air escaping from the egg because the egg is shut down more than it would be when running on solely on natural draft?  When using the FB 200 at low temps, my DW holes are closed to a point that would risk the fire going out absent the blower. At high blower percents, I do see the smoke being forced out, but less when running around 20% - 30%.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

Maybe not any difference.  When the fan is not running, is less air escaping from the egg because the egg is shut down more than it would be when running on solely on natural draft?  When using the FB 200 at low temps, my DW holes are closed to a point that would risk the fire going out absent the blower. At high blower percents, I do see the smoke being forced out, but less when running around 20% - 30%.  
    my thoughts would be the controller forces a larger fire feeding and snuffing were my low and slow would start with and maintain a smaller fire. kinda like the guy that steps on the gas only to have to stop t the next light verse the guy that feathers the pedal and times the next light not having to stop
    fukahwee maine

• chadpsualum
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

my thoughts would be the controller forces a larger fire feeding and snuffing were my low and slow would start with and maintain a smaller fire. kinda like the guy that steps on the gas only to have to stop t the next light verse the guy that feathers the pedal and times the next light not having to stop
    What if a big gust of wind came up (in manual) and forced his foot on the gas causing him to accelerate higher than he wanted?  Since there was no magic break he could use he'd have to come down naturally.

I see a large, multivariable DOE coming on here.  I think BGE should sponsor this research...
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    @fishlessman  I get the car analogy, but most of the energy difference in that example goes to driver #1 converting his momentum to heat by applying the brakes.  There some rotational losses due to differing acceleration rates and maybe peak rpms, but after sitting through heated debates on the use of drivetrain loss percentages to convert rear wheel HP to engine HP, I don't want to go down that path.    :o 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Nice work jeepster. My last long cook was roughly 24 hours at 200-250 and it consumed one load of lump, almost to the top of the ring. 

Maybe the most useful information from your experiments will be how long can I cook at a given temperature with X lbs of lump. 

Now to test other egg sizes...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Nice info. It should help give people an idea of how much lump they need for a cook.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Once again a great set of data upon which to reasonably understand and apply to your BGE cooks.  Your collection of BGE performance data should be compiled and offered as a side-bar file on the main site.  Thanks for running and documenting this data.  Always a learning eggsperience here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Scientific method (more or less).  You are my hero, man!!!
    Options
    Scientific method (more or less).  You are my hero, man!!!
    @nolaegghead ... you, probably more than most, have a feel for the variables that were glossed over.  One could run lump tests for life, but the final conclusion would be the same ... "lump in the bag doesn't help your cook ..."

• bloodocean
    Options
    You should probably change your curve fit so that it starts at (0, 0) (because no burn time uses no lump)
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @bloodocean ... the x-axis represents the burn time AT 250 degrees.  With that approach the intercept at the y-axis represents the amount of lump used to warm the egg up to 250 degrees and shut it down.

Another way to look at it is to imagine that you start the egg and get it up to 250 degrees.  At the instant it reaches 250 degrees you change your mind and shut it down.  You will have burned 2/3 of a pound of lump ... which is what the y-axis intercept represents.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    This is great stuff. Thanks for doing it and posting. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You should probably change your curve fit so that it starts at (0, 0) (because no burn time uses no lump)
    ...so add a y-intercept.  More data points are really needed, but this is perfect for a second degree polynomial.  What we have now is the classic slope.
    Options
    The cool down portion is more amendable to being described by a polynomial equation ... although a sixth order equation was necessary for the greatest accuracy.

This data was plotted to see if the "when the fire went out" point would identify itself.