Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined, injected... Soon to be smoked pork butt with peach preserves aka Ron style

Options
Bart1434
Bart1434 Posts: 160
Girlfriends new job has a Super Bowl tailgate contest theme for lunch tomorrow so why not experiment? Going with two small (5lb) pork butts... Brined for roughly 48 hours Alton Brown style and injected with Apple juice, brown sugar mixture... Bout to fire up the egg and smoke with maple and peach.. Stay tuned 

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This brother will rock it hands down!  I don't inject but this will carry the day.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggty
    Eggty Posts: 58
    Options
    I want to hear all about this when its done.  Sound fantastic. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    What in the world is that amazing pump contraption?... Better yet... Don't tell me... If I order anything else from ideas on this forum I will have to buy a new living room couch that's more comfortable ... Because that's whrre I'll be sleeping.
  • Bart1434
    Options
    Rubbed down and layered with a little peach preserves, just waiting for the egg to get to temp and clear smoke... 

Southwestern, CT

• Bart1434
    Options
    @bgebrent I usually don't inject either, but felt like going crazy with this one, curious to see if all the extra time/effort makes a difference..

@slovelad the thing is pretty amazing.. I left the link below, ya know just in case lol

http://www.amazon.com/Chops-Power-Injector-System-Gallon/dp/B00D3PWBUQ

Southwestern, CT

• bgebrent
    Options
    Bart1434 said:
    @bgebrent I usually don't inject either, but felt like going crazy with this one, curious to see if all the extra time/effort makes a difference..

@slovelad the thing is pretty amazing.. I left the link below, ya know just in case lol

http://www.amazon.com/Chops-Power-Injector-System-Gallon/dp/B00D3PWBUQ
    I like it brother!  Going big!  I look forward to the finish.
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    My mouth is watering just thinking about the end product... Can't wait.... 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Try peach preserves on Ribs. KILLER.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Damn.. You are going to hit this one out the park.. When she brings the trophy home the pay off could be huge.. Good luck and keep us posted..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Bart1434
    Options
    Came off the egg around 4am, quick rest and pulled.. Would of posted sooner but by the time that was done I had to shovel snow and off to work...Came out absolutely amazing, the bark was incredible and the pork itself was super moist... Probably the best "butt" I have ever laid my hands on (outside of my girlfriends of course - it is Friday after all)... Will be doing this method in the future as long as time permits it, especially the peach preserves part, thanks @YukonRon

@johnmitchell hoping she is satisfied and then it's a win in my book ! 

Southwestern, CT

• Bart1434
    Options

Southwestern, CT

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Wow that bark as fantastic! Looks awesome
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Winner!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great documentation and result.  If the winner is based on the amount of food left over, then a win, hands down.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Oh... I would say that is the most succulent butt I have seen in a while. :o 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Bart1434 said:
    Came off the egg around 4am, quick rest and pulled.. Would of posted sooner but by the time that was done I had to shovel snow and off to work...Came out absolutely amazing, the bark was incredible and the pork itself was super moist... Probably the best "butt" I have ever laid my hands on (outside of my girlfriends of course - it is Friday after all)... Will be doing this method in the future as long as time permits it, especially the peach preserves part, thanks @YukonRon

@johnmitchell hoping she is satisfied and then it's a win in my book ! 

If you are serving a red BBQ sauce, add about 3/4 cup of the peach preserves. It is awesome. 
    My daughter would never eat pulled pork until she tried this. Now for every occasion we serve this, I have to make her the BBQ sauce as well. The pulled pork does not last long. We are lucky if we have enough for pulled pork nachos.
    I have had others tell me they were going to try apple preserves and jelly. 
    I have not tried that yet because, well, this is too good, and my family doesn't want me to. I have not read about how those turned out. I am sure they were really good. It has been my experience, pork butt is difficult to mess up.
    I smoke it with peach mostly, and occasionally I will throw in a chunk of Apple, or Pecan or both along with it. 
    It really does not matter. It is delicious when it come off the grill. 
    I hope your folks enjoy it as much as mine do.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Bart1434
    Options
    @yukonRon - thanks for everything, without your creativity and appetite this would of never happened and I would of never been introduced to a whole new world of pulled pork.  The sandwich I made this morning for breakfast (guilty) I mixed in some of the preserves with a sweet heat sauce and it was outstanding.  I picked that note up from one of your posts while searching the forum.  Absolutely amazing and this will be the way I cook pork butts in the future, and I will be trying with Ribs this weekend.

Southwestern, CT

• YukonRon
    Options
    I did ribs for a charity function about a month ago. I did several racks with peach and several racks without. When I told those that inquired, they went straight to those without. I pulled out one rack of the peach gave them one one bone. I did that twice. The peach was gone in <5minutes.
    i won't do pork any other way.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Bart1434
    Options
    Hey @yukonron I think I may be in the peach preserve with pork for life now as well... When doing ribs, like the butt, do you put the preserves on prior to putting onto the egg? Or after a few hours etc...thanks again 

Southwestern, CT

• YukonRon
    Options
    Just like the pork butt. I put them on withe the preserves at the very beginning. It seems to help with moisture retention better. I have tried it both ways, my personal favorite is going to the grill prepped, and not having to mess with them on the process, until pulling. Both a very good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky