Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting Wrapped In Foil

Hi Guys,  New to the Egg.  This is my first post.  Some much has already been covered, I haven't needed to.  Thanks for that.  Anyway, cooking a pork belly, ribs, a small beef roast and wings tomorrow on a XL with adjustable rig.  The recipe for the belly calls to put it on in a pan tightly sealed in foil first for 5 1/2 hrs.  Is there any point of doing this part on the egg.  Here it the recipe http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/crisp-and-unctious-pork-belly/  I have a lot going on the egg tomorrow.  It would be simpler to just do the first part in the oven if it doesn't matter.  Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Hi Jeff.  Welcome to the forum.  Never cooked a pork belly before, but I'm sure someone will be along to help.  
    Phoenix 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2016
    If Adam Perry Lang says do it, then  you do it.

I think you could certainly do that part in the oven, though.
    NOLA
  • KYJeff
    KYJeff Posts: 31
    buzd504 said:
    If Adam Perry Lang says do it, then  you do it.

I think you could certainly do that part in the oven, though.
    Thanks,  I think I'll buy his book. He seems to be respected here that's for sure. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Welcome to the forum Jeff. Never cooked a pork belly, please take pictures. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Jeff welcome to the BGE forum. You will find this place to be full of folks that are as OCD, as they are brilliant about all things BGE, and a truly vast amount of knowledge on EVERYTHING else.
    (I built a sub atomic particle collider I use as a fire starter from the help of the folks on here. Somewhat elaborate, but very reliable)
    The cost of the BGE is the nothing compared to owning. (See fire starting kit above) be prepared for wallet genocide in here.
    APL's book is just the beginning. A worthy BGE add on for sure.
    Seriously, great people here. Have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I agree if it is wrapped in foil then it makes no difference if it is in the egg or the oven. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you have lots of stuff going on the Egg, then the oven is fine.
  • KYJeff
    Here it is going into the oven. 275 for 5 1/2 hrs. 
  • KYJeff

Well, that didn't go as planned. It was good. I burned up my stoker pit probe.  I'll make a post tomorrow on what not to do on a pork belly.  It definitely will not be my last though. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Definitely the correct approach-back on the horse and have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.