Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Looking for a 60" trailer smoker

I am looking to add to the family of Eggs by adding a trailer smoker to do some events and possibly eventually some competitions. Looking for anyone willing to share thoughts on brands you might suggest. I'm no welder so building one myself is not an option. Looking for roughly 60" so that I can do whole pig. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2016
    Give the following a look:
    Shirley Fabrication & Lonestar.

Both of these are top performing pits without all of the bells and whistles. For the money, they are a tough act to follow. There are many great builders out there and you can spend as much as you want. But for solid performance minus the custom paint, chrome etc,etc, these are both rock solid. However you can have these tricked out as well if you chose to. Both Shirley and Lonestars base units perform like champs. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Try Lang. They are located in southern Georgia. 
    Good hunting.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Lang, great guy makes great pits
  • Thanks for the ideas. I had been looking at Lang already but wanted to definitely explore some other ideas. The Shirley looks like a really nice setup too.
    Columbus IN
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited January 2016
    Shirley fabrication runs circles around Lang for less money. Sunday I'll post pictures of mine when unlock it up. 

There new website went live last night. Www.shirleyfabrication.com
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • @Thatgrimguy I would love to see some pictures. Is yours reverse flow?
    Columbus IN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Shirley fabrication runs circles around Lang for less money. Sunday I'll post pictures of mine when unlock it up. 

There new website went live last night. Www.shirleyfabrication.com
    @Thatgrimguy is that your unit he is showing in the video? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Mine is going to be finished for pick up on Sunday. So just a couple more days. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited January 2016
    @Thatgrimguy I would love to see some pictures. Is yours reverse flow?
    Yes. Mine is reverse flow. They will build traditional pits if you want, but they have perfected the reverse flow design imo. And the craftsmanship is unbelievable.
  • Good to know. I've had the itch for a while now and am looking to pull the trigger in the next month or so. In the reading I have done, I know I want reverse flow. I think that will give me greater flexibility and control. I do like the looks of the Shirley.
    Columbus IN
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited January 2016
    Shirley is custom built. No assembly line. Langs are assembly line built.  I visited both shops before purchasing.  Langs are 1step shy of mass produced. The down side is wait time. Lang's can deliver within 6 weeks. I ordered my Shirley in June....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Here is my Thread on my smoker. I'll update the thread when I have pictures.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190672/my-trailer-smoker-has-started-being-built/p1
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Peoria custom cookers. Damn sure not cheap, but built like a tank. Or Southern pride. Both high end smokers. I see your in Indiana so winter cooking you will want something insulated. PCC are double walled with fiberglass insulation between the walls. When smoking the top don't even get hot. You def. get what you pay for. Again not cheap, but I'm damn proud of mine. Oh and they are closer to you to boot.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Damn dude! That thing is going to be the sh1t!!!!!
    Columbus IN
  • Thatgrimguy
    I agree, Peoria makes some really fine cookers.
  • Thatgrimguy
    @badinfluence brings up probably the single most important thing about buying a large smoker. Your location. Delivery can many times double the cost of a cooker.
  • Yeah that is one thing I noticed with Shirley is that they do not ship unless using a 3rd party. Being in Indiana, I'm a decent ways away from all the good pit builders. But it's only about 7-1/2 hours to Tuscaloosa. Definitely do-able. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
    Columbus IN