Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"New" old school BBQ toy added to my arsenal

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited January 2016 in Off Topic
Since I relocated my eggs to my in-laws, I've really missed having an egg to grill on at our house.  I thought about a mini or mini max, but went another direction.  *I lean towards a mini, mainly so I can teach my 5 year old on something he isn't intimidated by.  Until then, I picked up a PK Grill, or as @travisstrick called it, a Hipster Grill.  It's a cast aluminum grill...decent wall thickness and will not rust.  Like our eggs, these are built to last and there are tons of people who still grill on the originals that debuted in the 50s.

Eager to break her in tomorrow.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    As you are well aware, I'm a fan of anything that will cook. Being a good bit older than you, I can really appreciate the "box" design. Old school. I love it. Can't wait to see it in action. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,534
    Options
    Good looking grill can't wait to see the first cook posted.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SGH
    Options
    You have got to break it in with ribeyes. Anything else for the inaugural cook would be a sin.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Cool grill @cazzy   Never seeen anything quite like it.
    Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Between that and your vault, you have a great setup, congrats.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    You have got to break it in with ribeyes. Anything else for the inaugural cook would be a sin.  
    Well damn...I guess I'll save the split chicken breasts for the 2nd cook!   =)
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    SGH said:
    Well damn...I guess I'll save the split chicken breasts for the 2nd cook!   =)
    Indeed my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice grill hippie. Fuel, fire, meat. Yep it'll work like a charm. Cool
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I've cooked on one before.  As long as now low n slow s needed you should be good. Kind of like a Weber kettle. Fun stuff.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • cazzy
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I've cooked on one before.  As long as now low n slow s needed you should be good. Kind of like a Weber kettle. Fun stuff.  
    Awesome! It will only be at roasting and above temps.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    You could finagle a low and slow on those too. Best part is the ability to cook with 2 (or three?) zones. Its like a big  Weber Go Anywhere.

Where did you buy it? I've seen those at Bering's. They're running a "20% off any one item sale" until February.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:
    You could finagle a low and slow on those too. Best part is the ability to cook with 2 (or three?) zones. Its like a big  Weber Go Anywhere.

Where did you buy it? I've seen those at Bering's. They're running a "20% off any one item sale" until February.

Yep...i like the multiple zone capability.  I bought it direct from PK.  Thought it was good peace of mind...plus they have the whole "try it for 30 days" spill 
  • rblarrcpa
    Options
    Sweet grill. Many grilling options.  Old school grill... Beauty!!
    XL & MiniMax
    “The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”
    Red Bank, NJ
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Why did you move your eggs to your in-laws?  I have been busy with work lately and haven't been on here in a while.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Why did you move your eggs to your in-laws?  I have been busy with work lately and haven't been on here in a while.  
    We visit them often and I would usually take an egg with me.  With my Vault, using an egg for anything but grilling wouldn't happen.  Now when I visit, I have something I like to cook on, without having to load and unload.  They were going to buy an egg, but this worked out pretty well.  After using my egg, my FIL still intends to buy an egg for the lake house.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Carl is currently growing a soul patch and developing a taste for PBR. His grill is way too hip for Katy TX, the city council is debating fines and warning signs for it's denizens to avoid the hipster culture.  That is all.
    Options
    Carl is currently growing a soul patch and developing a taste for PBR. His grill is way too hip for Katy TX, the city council is debating fines and warning signs for it's denizens to avoid the hipster culture.  That is all.

You don't even know how true that is. his hood is full of Traeger pellet poopers ( I know from personal experience).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I think they're cool. Portability is nice. Something different than a Weber. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    I've had a PK grill in my collection for many years. My only complaint is the cooking grid is not stainless steel. I can't keep it from rusting.
    Proper procedure is to keep the grate oiled after cooking. I can't seem to follow that.
    They do make a wooden scraper to prevent scratching off. It works reasonably well.
    A stainless grid is all this grill needs to make it completely awesome.

I see they offer a set of grill grates for the PK now.
    Has anyone tried the grill grates on the PK?

• cazzy
    Options
    GregW said:
    I've had a PK grill in my collection for many years. My only complaint is the cooking grid is not stainless steel. I can't keep it from rusting.
    Proper procedure is to keep the grate oiled after cooking. I can't seem to follow that.
    They do make a wooden scraper to prevent scratching off. It works reasonably well.
    A stainless grid is all this grill needs to make it completely awesome.

I see they offer a set of grill grates for the PK now.
    Has anyone tried the grill grates on the PK?

I wonder if I can get a stainless steel grid made.  I figured it was SS so that sucks to hear it isn't.  
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I wonder if I can get a stainless steel grid made.  I figured it was SS so that sucks to hear it isn't.  
    I sure there are SS grids already made... May want a cast iron instead.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GregW
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cazzy said: wonder if I can get a stainless steel grid made.  I figured it was SS so that sucks to hear it isn't.  
    I've searched on the web to get a custom grid made. I've found places to get a round or rectangular one made.
    I haven't found anyone who can duplicate the shape of the PK grid.

Back in the early spring I sent PK support an email expressing my dislike for the PK grid. The very nice lady sent me a new grid and also a wood scraper to help prevent damage to the grid during cleaning. PK support is top notch.

My PK was way out of warranty......at least 6 yrs old

The support lady said they were coming out with a better grid. I assumed it would be a stainless grid. Apparently she was talking about the grill mates.

I wonder if the grill mates replace the standard grid, or do they simply lay on top of the grid? Well, I looked on the PK site....they show the grill mates on top of the standard grate. 

I would like to hear some feedback on the grill mate. They look pretty good.

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Another item to separate me from my money.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Sweet. Just needs Mangrates
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GregW
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Sweet. Just needs Mangrates
    How does the cast iron seasoning hold up to very high temp searing on the Manngrates?
    I keep the seasoning burned off my BGE cast iron grid. I quit using the cast iron grate years ago.

I have seen online a place where you can order a custom stainless grid in stainless for the BGE. I think it's made from 3/8 inch stainless rod.
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    You can't see that picture and not sing "If I only had a heart."
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• highball
    Options
    I had a PK for a few years and sold it a few months ago
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great looking grill. I'm jealous because I know you'll be dousing briquettes in lighter fluid and getting real grilled taste from that sucker!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle