Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Goulash, in the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
Fellows, here is a great change of pace for those cold and rainy days when you just don't want to go outside and cook. I know there are umpteen thousand Goulash recipes out there. But here is one with a little southern flair or twist to it. Dixie style if you will. For you pressure cookers out there, this is a real breeze.

Ingriedants.
2 Cans of Rotel tomatoes.
1 Can of whole tomatoes.
1 Can of diced tomatoes.
2 Cans of tomatoe sauce/paste. Note: If using a pressure cooker, use sauce, not paste. This way you will not have to use any water at all. 
1 Whole yellow or white onion diced. 
3-5 Cloves of chopped garlic. 
2 lbs of ground beef. The greasier the better. 70/30 is preferred. 
4 strips of raw thick cut bacon. Connecuh bacon is par excellent. 
1 pound of raw elbow noodles. 
2 teaspoons of white sugar. 
1/4 cup soy sauce. 
1/4 cup of W-shire sauce.  
I teaspoon of Italian dry herbs.  
1 pack of shredded 4 cheese blend.
Salt & Pepper to taste after cooking. Do not use salt while cooking under pressure with this recipe. 

A few tips  for pressure cooking.
1. Do not add any salt until after the cooking is complete. It's very easy to ruin your food if you salt up front and then cook under pressure. 
2. Use instant pressure release, not natural release with this recipe, or you invite over cooking. 
3. If you must use natural release for some reason, cut the cooking under pressure time in half. This is for natural release only. 
4. For clarity, the cook time is for cooking under pressure at 12 PSI. If you are cooking at 15 PSI, reduce the cooking time by 5-6 minutes to avoid over cooking. If you are cooking at 5 PSI, double the cook time plus add 5-6 minutes to the doubled time. 

Directions:
Brown the ground beef and bacon. Just before the meat is browned all of the way, throw in the onion and garlic to caramelized them and finish browning. 
Here is the important part. Do not strain off the beef and bacon grease. Put the meat, grease and everything from the above list into the pressure cooker with the exception of the salt and cheese. They go in after the cooking is complete. Again, save the salt and cheese until the cooking is complete. 
If cooking at 12 PSI, cook this for exactly 20 minutes under pressure and use instant release. 
Open the lid and stir in the cheese and salt. Eat and enjoy my friends. 

After 20 minutes cook time, instant release pressure. 

When pressure is released, dump in cheese. 

Stir cheese in well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• rblarrcpa
    Options
    Looks easy & delicious!  2 of my favorite things!
    XL & MiniMax
    “The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”
    Red Bank, NJ
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I've never cooked with a pressure cooker. What are the advantages? Sorry for the HiJack. 
  • SGH
    Options
    I've never cooked with a pressure cooker. What are the advantages? Sorry for the HiJack. 
    Speed. A pressure cooker cooks 70%-90% faster than a pot or crockpot. Example: when making rice in a pot, I simmer it 12-14 minutes in one gallon of water. The same rice cooked at 15 PSI is done in 90 seconds. And no apologie necessary my friend. You posed a very legitimate question. And for the record, I love to hijack =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Also a pressure cooker holds a significant advantage over other cooking methods when it comes to tenderizing meat. Ever had a rump roast that was tough? Cook in a pressure cooker at 15 psi and it will fall apart. For making rabbit and squirrel, a pressure cooker is a must in my opinion. 

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This is on my list now!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great one pot meal right there brother.  That looks and sounds delicious!!  Love the Ro-Tel twist, genius.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Looked like an easy recipe until I saw "four-cheese blend"!!!

:o  :o:o

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SGH
    Options
    Botch said:

You can use any cheese that you like or no cheese at all my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    Options
    As always, SGH, looks absolutely delicious and another thread I've bookmarked. Can't wait to try it!  Thanks for the recipe!
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    "For making rabbit and squirrel, a pressure cooker is a must in my opinion."

That comment is pure gold.

What about nutria?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Never owned or used a pressure cooker. 
    You got me thinking I ought try it.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "For making rabbit and squirrel, a pressure cooker is a must in my opinion."

That comment is pure gold.

What about nutria?
    A nutria is a naturally lazy and slow moving rodent. Nowhere near as tough as a wild rabbit or squirrel. They can be cooked with great results in a crock pot/slow cooker or a Dutch oven. You can certainly pressure cook them for speed, however they will be tender either way. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

jaydub58 said:
    Never owned or used a pressure cooker. 
    You got me thinking I ought try it.
    For some things they are unbeatable. Some of the newer ones have several different functions. They will serve as a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, a deep fryer and even a Sous Vide rig. Mine is a straight pressure cooker with a browning and warming feature. But again, there are some that are 5 or 6 different cookers in one. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Dredger - Sister, here is the goulash recipe that you inquired about on the electric pressure cooker thread. Hope that you enjoy it. 

Status- Standing by.

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Thata a great recipe to help get through the winter. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Thanks!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    @SGH I have a question why do you say go with a 70/30 ground beef ? Your end result looks awesome.. Great comfort food..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks @SGH. That looks and sounds delicious. I'll be making it this week. I believe our extended fall is over with and we're back to cooler temps and this will be perfect on a cold night. Nice touch with the Rotel tomatoes to add a little zip. Copied and printed!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    You mean people outside the Midwest know what goulash is?  :o
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    You mean people outside the Midwest know what goulash is?  :o
    Absolutley we do =)

@SGH I have a question why do you say go with a 70/30 ground beef ? Your end result looks awesome.. Great comfort food..
    Thanks man. As far as the 70/30, it seems not to be as "crumbly" after pressure cooking in my opinion. 

Dredger said:
    Thanks @SGH.
    Nice touch with the Rotel tomatoes to add a little zip. 
    My pleasure sister. That is exactly why I add the Rotel. That little something extra that they bring to the plate. 

Status- Standing by.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    up here the cheese goes on top, and thats american chop suey ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    Options
    up here the cheese goes on top, and thats american chop suey ;)
    That sounds like Chinese to me ;)  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Bump for @slovelad. Here you go my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    SGH, if you don't me asking, what's the make/model of your pressure cooker?  There are a ton to choose from -- looks like you have one that you're very happy with.  Thanks brother!

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• mgillia
    Options
    Nevermind SGH.  I found it another post.  Cheers! 

• SGH
    Options
    mgillia said:
    SGH, if you don't me asking, what's the make/model of your pressure cooker?  There are a ton to choose from -- looks like you have one that you're very happy with.  Thanks brother!
    I don't mind at all my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• mgillia
    Options
    Thanks Brother!  Ordering one now.

• SGH
    Options
    mgillia said:
    Thanks Brother!  Ordering one now.
    Hope you enjoy it as much as I do my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Botch said:

Cheese in goulash??? Unheard of! As SGH says, there are thousands of goulash recipes so make it as you wish.

Perhaps the cheese is what makes it "Dixie style"?

Also...NO paprika?? Unheard of!

Regardless, that still looks delicious and I'd eat a couple bowls of that right now.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Cheese in goulash??? 

Absolutley brother. Cheese, along with bacon, makes everything better =)

Perhaps the cheese is what makes it "Dixie style"?

Indeed it is my friend^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.