Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aftermarket gasket?

What has anyone used and had good success with for a good gasket?
Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  

Comments

• Flat rutland stove gaskets, adhered with permatex gasket adhesive (hi temp, automobile) have been used for years by many of us

some people will advise against them

up to you

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Thanks, what reason to advise against them? 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Re: safety

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/rutlandgasketsafety.htm

And re: installation

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Don't bother with the rutland cement. Use the permatex

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
  • Re: safety

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/rutlandgasketsafety.htm

And re: installation

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Don't bother with the rutland cement. Use the permatex

Good stuff!  Thanks. 
  • Agree re: RRP, but this is also typically available at a hardware store pretty handily

i'm a "I kinda want to do this now" DIYer

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited January 2016
    The DuPont nomex stuff is not food rated, either. I have the letter from DuPont that says so. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Agree re: RRP, but this is also typically available at a hardware store pretty handily

True - in some parts of the country, but certainly not common every where.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Thanks, what reason to advise against them? 
    The state of California discovered that the Rutland gasket along with everything else on the planet, may make you sick. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SGH said:
    Thanks, what reason to advise against them? 
    The state of California discovered that the Rutland gasket along with everything else on the planet, may make you sick. 
    I try not to cook food on my gasket.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Yikes!  May stay with the BGE and just replace more often.  Easy to take off and apply. 
  • SGH
    Yikes!  May stay with the BGE and just replace more often.  Easy to take off and apply. 
    I was just being sarcastic to California saying everything is bad for you. I use and highly recommend a Rutland gasket. I use the Rutland on 2 BGE's and 3 cabinet/offset smokers. The Rutland is as good as it gets my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thanks for the clarity! 
  • Do you have to take the top lid off to apply? 
  • SGH
    Do you have to take the top lid off to apply? 
    No sir, but it makes it much easier in my opinion if you remove the dome. Dome removal is very simple, thus I remove it. 

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    PM RRP and get the info -

This is one of those things not worth thinking about too much.  He will make it easy for you.

Phoenix 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    edited January 2016
    I ordered 4 Rutland gaskets from @RRP mid week last week. Received them on Saturday in the mail along with instructions on how to remove the old gasket and how to apply the new one. Very pleased with his service.
  • GaBGE said:
    I ordered 4 Rutland gaskets from @RRP mid week last week. Received them on Saturday in the mail along with instructions on how to remove the old gasket and how to apply the new one. Very plaesed with his service.
    Much appreciated! Love this forum. 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
     My original gasket lasted less than a year. I replaced it with a "nomex" gasket in '10 or '11 and it is still going well.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    I got my gaskets from @RRP it's awesome. And looks good too. hete is a picture of it installed on my mini. Installation is easy. No need to remove dome

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

I also got a Rutland gasket from Ron. Anyone buying the gasket should know that it is not proven to be food safe. It may be food safe or may be not. The safety factor is minimized by only placing the gasket on the lower shell of the egg. The gasket is thick enough that it is only needed on one surface.

I had gaskets fail in the past and its normally is the upper gasket. The adhesive breaks down and gasket separates. Using a single gasket on the lower portion is the way to go. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    The DuPont nomex stuff is not food rated, either. I have the letter from DuPont that says so. 
    Which gaskets frequently used on kamados are specifically approved by the FDA/USDA/NSF/My Favorite Uncle for use near, on or in food????
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mikee said:

I also got a Rutland gasket from Ron. Anyone buying the gasket should know that it is not proven to be food safe. It may be food safe or may be not. The safety factor is minimized by only placing the gasket on the lower shell of the egg. The gasket is thick enough that it is only needed on one surface.

I had gaskets fail in the past and its normally is the upper gasket. The adhesive breaks down and gasket separates. Using a single gasket on the lower portion is the way to go. 

Come to think of it, I had one freeze up on my Medium this winter and it's the top one that failed. I imagine a Rutland wouldn't experience this.