Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

There's a Sucker Born Every Minute

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2015
    When I read the title, I thought that this would be a Yeti related thread for sure. Just saying........

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SGH said:
    When I read the title, I thought that this would be a Yeti related thread for sure. 
    Says the man whose favorite cooler is a Yeti 50....
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    For people that have $400 burning a hole in their pocket and also want to have explosive diarrhea when the clock strikes 12...
  • DoubleEgger

Going to the OG at Times Square is moronic all by itself.  Add in going there on NYE AND paying $400?  That is world-class level stupidity right there.
    And getting screwed out of bread sticks too! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    All the above said, I am sure it will sell out.  There is quite a mass of humanity that descends on that piece of real estate and some will not make the street level so...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    $799 pp at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company is the gold standard for suckers! 
  • SGH
    SGH said:
    When I read the title, I thought that this would be a Yeti related thread for sure. 
    I have money to burn so it's a status symbol for me. However when someone who only makes a few hundred a week spends there whole check on a cooler, they have been suckered my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wow that sounds like hell on earth to me. I've heard many things about Times Square on NYE, none of them appeal to me. $400 for Olive Garden? Catch the train to Flavor Town baby!!!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• DoubleEgger
    @SGH if you've got money to burn, vote for Cankles, oh I mean Hillary
  • Isn't the whole issue with Times Square on NYE simply the challenge of trying to get to the square unless you're there at like 9am?  I'm guessing a few suckers who shell this out are never going to make it to the restaurant.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    F Yah sign me up 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Had my family with me in NYC once   

Times Square 

suddenly the sky opened and it rained in torrents. We ran into the nearest restaurant for cover, and had lunch 

(Planet Hollywood)

i was farking mortified. Horrible. Even my kids, like maybe 8 and 10 at the time, were unimpressed

I was a few humdred miles away from home and yet still afraid I'd run into someone I knew. ...even when i realized that they'd be there too!

(and despite the fact that i frigging DESIGNED a Planet Hollywood myself. True story. Fun fact: Stallone is incredibly short)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• $400 is just to have a chance at a restroom in that mess
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Endless bowl of pasta....and an endless night on the (toilet) bowl.

All kinds of Real Italian joints in NYC and OG is on that list. :giggle: Isn't the point of going to NYC NYE to be in Time Square. Ya let's go to OG instead :tongue: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • All kinds of Real Italian joints in NYC and OG is on that list. :giggle: Isn't the point of going to NYC NYE to be in Time Square. Ya let's go to OG instead :tongue: 
    I'd say the majority of restaurants near Times Square suck.  They are basically tourist traps.  If you eat at one of these you're just lazy or an idiot or both.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    I have money to burn so it's a status symbol for me. However when someone who only makes a few hundred a week spends there whole check on a cooler, they have been suckered my friend. 
    What about those people that only make a couple hundred a week and spend it on a **** RTIC.  Think I might even choose Olive Garden in Times Square over that.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Truthfully, $400 for guaranteed spot inside and warm on Time Square for New Year is a good deal.  All the places do it.

$400 spot with some food too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Why can't there be an ignore flag for trolls?  Getting tired of rticule....
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Why would anyone want to be in NYC period.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Lit
    swordsmn said:
    Why can't there be an ignore flag for trolls?  Getting tired of rticule....
    Getting tired of your boring comments.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Hey everyone let's go to Times Square on NYE and have dinner at the Olive Garden for $400! - said by nobody, ever
    Well, you are forgetting the people that want a "step up" from Guy Fieri's place.
  • SGH
    Lit said:
    What about those people that only make a couple hundred a week and spend it on a awesome RTIC.  
    This shows intelligence on their part. For less than half the price of the Yeti, they get 1/2 more insulation in the lid, the bottom, the side walls, the front wall and the back wall. There is never anything wrong with spending money wisely. Rather than getting suckered, they got a bargain. Big difference. 

Status- Standing by.

• Truthfully, $400 for guaranteed spot inside and warm on Time Square for New Year is a good deal.  
    Probably not so much this year.  Current forecast is for it to be 38F Thursday night.
  • Lit
    edited December 2015
    SGH said:
    Lit said:
    What about those people that only make a couple hundred a week and spend it on a awesome RTIC.  
    This shows intelligence on their part. For less than half the price of the Yeti, they get 1/2 more insulation in the lid, the bottom, the side walls, the front wall and the back wall. There is never anything wrong with spending money wisely. Rather than getting suckered, they got a bargain. Big difference. 
    Yeah cause insulation is insulation right it must all be the same. I wrapped a pillow around my styrofoam cooler it now has walls twice as thick as RTIC I'll sell it to you half price.
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    Lit said:
    Yeah cause insulation is insulation right it must all be the same. I wrapped a pillow around my styrofoam cooler it now has walls twice as thick as RTIC I'll sell it to you half price.
    Both are filled with polystyrene. Both are wrapped in polyethylene. So you finally got something almost right. Insulation is insulation when it's the identical material. 

Status- Standing by.

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Isn't the whole issue with Times Square on NYE simply the challenge of trying to get to the square unless you're there at like 9am?  I'm guessing a few suckers who shell this out are never going to make it to the restaurant.  

We went about 5-6 years ago.  They started blocking people off around 12 or 1pm.  They let just a certain number of people in an area, block it off, and reapeat.  We go down form our hotel around 8pm and I cannot remember how many blocks back we were but could not even hear the bands playing and just froze our ass off.  Kinda cool to say that you have been there done that, but will absolutely never do it again.

NO public restrooms anywhere, if you leave your area, you are gone for the night.  There was guys going into the Subway (restaurant that is) and bringing coffee to the masses for $10 a cup.  He couldn't bring it fast enough, crazy.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Lit
    SGH said:
    Lit said:
    Both are filled with polystyrene. Both are wrapped in polyethylene. So you finally got something right. Insulation is insulation when it's the identical material. 
    Yeah density and all that stuff doesn't matter just put a little inside the walls and it all works the same.