Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trials and Tribulations of the grilled cheese

McStew
McStew Posts: 965
edited December 2015 in Forum Feedback
I'm so tired of the everyday RTIC, prime rib, turkey, ham XMAS things that happen every year here.  I figured I would start something new.  My wife and I had a grilled cheese off last night I'm convinced mine won over hers and she feels the same about hers.  With so many different bread / cheese combinations / techniques, what is your go to method. 

Personally I like Sourdough Bread with a light spread of Mayo on it with American Cheese cooked on a CI pan.  What is yours?  

Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Cheddar cheese, dill pickles (preferably Wickles), pickled jalepenos, creole mustard, and fresh tomato on toasted muligrain bread then baked in the oven.
    NOLA
  • McStew
    @buzd504 that what I'm talking about fully loaded.  I personally like the baked GC too 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I got totally turned off grilled ham and cheese sandwiches due to my dislike of Kraft singles that I used for years. What I found and love is Boar's Head yellow American cheese from the deli. It rocks and runs circles around Kraft!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited December 2015
    white american, white bread, slice of tomato, extremely light dusting of blue cheese. toasted/fried in butter, NO squashing it flat with a spatula. and most important is to NOT CUT DIAGONAL. whats with all the diagonal cutters out there =) freaky
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • American, Swiss, and cheddar on rye, with grilled onions and tomato slices.
    Egging in Indy...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Diagonal is how any American would cut their grilled cheese!  
    :time_out: 

:tongue:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Mayo instead of butter on the bread and cut diagonal.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    if the sandwiches are cut diagonal, im taking only top crust pieces, you guys can have the bottom crust pieces ;)

BEHOLD...top crust on both pieces =)

fukahwee maine

• McStew
    It could almost be considered un American if you don't cut diagonal  =)
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Who cuts a flippen samich !!!

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• fishlessman
    nothing worse than stuff falling out of the corners of a diagonally cut welfare sandwich with no sandwich top crust =)
    fukahwee maine

• GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Been using the cast iron skillet that came on our new gas range.

My preference is spreadable butter on honey wheat bread and a combination of American and Havarti slices with bacon.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • fishlessman
    diagonal cutters must like muffin bottoms better than the tops too B)
    fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I like an approximation to the French croque madame. Crusty white bread w. at least black forest ham, speck if I can find some, and emmentaler, or baby swiss. Toast the bread, brush w. egg and milk wash, fry, and place an egg on top when the cheese gets melty. Flip quickly to set egg.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    bud812 said:
    Who cuts a flippen samich !!!

Those who are dipping it in soup. :)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited December 2015

Great thread idea @McStew     Grilled cheese, for me, always starts with sourdough, extra sharp cheddar, buttered outsides.  Always cut horizontally - top half, bottom half.  Will add other cheeses depending what I have on hand - pepperjack, havarti, blue, gouda, white american.  Sometimes I'll add hot peppers, chopped bacon, diced tomatoes, or some charred onions.  

I love grilled sandwiches, but when I load them up with a bunch of pulled pork or brisket, I don't consider them grilled cheese anymore.

If you love grilled cheese, a Blackstone is worth it for these alone.  I believe it was @Thatgrimguy that said the Blackstone does something magical to grilled cheese.  It's true.

Phoenix 
  • McStew
    @blasting thanks i'm over the same old holiday threads trying to think outside the box a bit  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Botch
    if the sandwiches are cut diagonal, im taking only top crust pieces, you guys can have the bottom crust pieces ;)

BEHOLD...top crust on both pieces =)

I don't share, and eat the top crust half last, like saving the center of a watermelon slice for the last bite!   :D

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    I won a grill sandwich cook off last year, using minced smoked ham from the egg.   However the secret was just the slightest dollop of stone ground mustard.    It made a night and day difference no matter what other ingredients or techniques I used.   

New Brunswick, Canada

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    White bread with American cheese, tomato with oregano and adobo on it, mayo on the bread but butter in the pan. 
  • Botch
    Hmmm, adobo!  

• McStew
    adobo hummm the wheels are turning 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Cast iron pan, brush bread with EVOO, a slice of American plus a slice of baby Swiss. Perfect.
  • McStew
    edited December 2015
    food for thought 

buttering the bread or melting the butter in the pan two different taste profiles in my opinion. 

baking 

CI vs Non Stick pans 

butter / mayo / EVVO

how much cheese is to much? 

bread combinations with different cheeses example 
    Honey oat bread needs to have Havarti cheese hands down and only one slice  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    One of my favorites was something we copied from a restaurant.  I'm not 100% sure as it has been a few years but I think it was sourdough bread, vermont cheddar, gruyere, and sauteed shiitake mushrooms. 

One thing I have found is with a thick hearty bread the cheese isn't melty enough.  I think I will try covering them with a big foil pan.  

I like a melted sammich out of the oven but I think of this more like cheese toast.  I actually prefer the toaster oven if I am going this route.  I think many people think of the toaster oven as something you should stop using once you are out of college but it is nice and even and I don't have to flip it.   You can do the same with a broiler but you have to toast one side and then flip and add cheese.  I like the way the toaster or broiler browns the cheese.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• McStew
    @SmokeyPitt in college we would toast the bread int he toaster and put it in the microwave for 60 seconds to melt the cheese 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • fishlessman
    griddled cheese with rooster sauce =) this was sharp cheddar

fukahwee maine

• I follow Roy Choi's take on it, as interpreted by Jon Favreau.  At the very end of the movie Chef, after the credits, Roy does his version.  The scene below kind of sums it up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BTfctEmg5w
    It's a 302 thing . . .