Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trials and Tribulations of the grilled cheese

Options
2»

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Griffin said:
    You start adding anything besides cheese and to me it stops being a grilled cheese and becomes another sandwich. Meats and veggies do not belong on a grilled cheese. Just cheese. Now I like adding ham, but then its a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.
    OK, I'll concede. Make it all cheese. But how 'bout allowing a little yellow mustard, or a splash of Cholula?

Another approach. 2 slices of bread, anything w. a fairly even texture. That is, no whole wheat, or whole grain, but most white bread, potato bread, rye, well coated w. pre-melted butter. Enough medium cheddar to cover the bread. Same amount creamy cheese like havarti. But, for assembly, one slab of bread is hald and half w. the cheeses. Then another layer of cheeses crosswise. After cooking, there's one quarter purely buttery, one quarter tangy, and 2 quarters a nice blend.

Use other cheese mixes as you like. Pair something bland, like provlone, w. something more pungent like Swiss.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing - that is a great scene.  The way he cooked it though I don't see how the cheese would have melted (especially with all that cheese).  I think he must have covered it with a pot or something. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I rarely eat bread these days so when I want some grilled cheese I just slice up some halloumi and throw it on the grill or a skillet. 

I guess I could take two slices of that and put something in between them and call it a grilled cheese sandwich. Literally. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    @HeavyG I have not heard of this but I am intrigued.  Literal grilled cheese. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @HeavyG when @fishlessman posted his pic it had me intrigued too 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing - that is a great scene.  The way he cooked it though I don't see how the cheese would have melted (especially with all that cheese).  I think he must have covered it with a pot or something. 
    I think that's the magic of Hollywood.  In the end, with the credits, Roy makes one himself and it's zen like.  

I don't have a blackstone, but I'd think it'd be perfect for this application.  I'm all about the idea of "griddled cheese".  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Melt butter (lots of it) on a CI griddle.  Lay in white loaf bread topped with thick sliced sharp cheddar.  Done.  
    If I want meat then I'll add a slice or two of fried bologna.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • McStew
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt im going to try the "grilled cheese tonight with Sharp cheddar I will let you know how this goes

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    McStew said:
    @SmokeyPitt im going to try the "grilled cheese tonight with Sharp cheddar I will let you know how this goes

when i did it, i wiped a ci pan with oil to make it shine and dropped a handful of fresh grated sharp cheddar in the center. i was on low carbs and that was my version of the no egg omelet =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Griffin said:
    You start adding anything besides cheese and to me it stops being a grilled cheese and becomes another sandwich. Meats and veggies do not belong on a grilled cheese. Just cheese. Now I like adding ham, but then its a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.
    OK, I'll concede. Make it all cheese. But how 'bout allowing a little yellow mustard, or a splash of Cholula?

Another approach. 2 slices of bread, anything w. a fairly even texture. That is, no whole wheat, or whole grain, but most white bread, potato bread, rye, well coated w. pre-melted butter. Enough medium cheddar to cover the bread. Same amount creamy cheese like havarti. But, for assembly, one slab of bread is hald and half w. the cheeses. Then another layer of cheeses crosswise. After cooking, there's one quarter purely buttery, one quarter tangy, and 2 quarters a nice blend.

Use other cheese mixes as you like. Pair something bland, like provlone, w. something more pungent like Swiss.

Sure, I'd say that still counts.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Do I sense a grilled cheese throw down coming on?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • McStew
    Options
    hahah if we did a throw down if would come down to who could take the best pic.  Personally I believe whatever you use to grill it ( oil butter mayor and the kind of butter ) makes all the difference in the world 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Has anyone tried AB's method?  Looks pretty fussy, but delicious too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• McStew
    Options
    @Botch wow how many of us are going to fire up the eggs to make that tonight 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Botch said:
    Has anyone tried AB's method?  Looks pretty fussy, but delicious too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY

He's a weird dude, but I like his style.  On this one though, the bread is just too thick - bread to cheese ratio seems way off.  
    Phoenix 
  • McStew
    Options
    @Botch although interesting how he melted the cheese 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Best grilled cheese ever. My baby girls first. Made some bread earlier and cut all the crust off. Cooked in kerrygold with yellow American land o lakes slices. She ate the whole sandwich. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @Lit I need two to go please....
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Forgot the best pic.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Well, I've been starving for a grilled cheese since this thread started; I had a pot of homemade beef stew made for today but, what the heck, have a grilled cheese along with!  Sorry about the poor pic, d'Oh!

I used AB's recipe, if not his technique, and tried mayo on the bread and butter in the pan as someone above mentioned.  Sharp cheddar and gruyere (mine was smoked), paprika, mustard and pepper.  
    Not a traditional xmas dinner at all, but it hit the spot!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• McStew
    Options
    @Botch not traditional at all but looks good how did you like AB method 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Our standard sandwich I eat 4 times a week for lunch as does my son. Homemade sourdough, Kirkland chopped ham, Tillamook cheddar. Light butter the sides then on the Panini press. Its gold!
    Seattle, WA
  • McStew
    Options
    @SkinnyV I could do that four times a week 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Been dreaming of this pic for days now.  Gonna have to try it.  Where did you get the pic @SmokeyPitt ?  Wondering what kind of cheese.

Pretty sure this must be illegal in at least a few states.

Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    hmm... I think we need a Grilled Cheese Throwdown.  

I do homemade brioche, american cheese sandwiched between two thin slices of provolone. Homemade butter cooked on blackstone.  It's magic. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I always use 2-3 kinds of cheese, at least one has to be a swiss-style cheese and there has to be too much cheese so that you get some of that good leakage that browns in the pan - a cheese skirt for the sandwich.

diagonal cut or no cut at all, depends if I'm dipping in anything or not.

honey mustard if I put mustard in it.  really thinly sliced (shaved) onion or grilled onions sometimes.

usually served with tomato soup or baked beans.
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited December 2015
    Options
    blasting said:

Been dreaming of this pic for days now.  Gonna have to try it.  Where did you get the pic @SmokeyPitt ?  Wondering what kind of cheese.

Pretty sure this must be illegal in at least a few states.

@Blasting I just found it with a google image search.  I retraced my steps and the source is pic is here and you will see a reference to another blog here with more instruction.  

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    bud812 said:
    Who cuts a flippen samich !!

i do so I can dip it in my soup!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"