Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Fried Rum Cake

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564

I was walking a 20 story project last week and when we were done my customer said " I have something for you"

Damn if it wasn't one of the best commercial rum cakes around.

Well after just ordering the 234 micron screen, I told @Thatgrimguy about, for filtering the cooking oil in my R and V deep fryer, I was ready to cook something and try it out.

So I have made my own "Shooters" with angle cake in the past. Soaking them in either Rum, Bourbon or Tequila. But this was screaming at me "Fry Me!!"

Oil at 350 and I dropped in one round. This time I just gave the basket a side shake to roll the rum cake squares over to hit all sides. I had some Caramel Rum drizzle left over from the Christmas party and used it as the topper.

Damn things cooked up great. And as usual, sent a batch to my backyard neighbor for the final verdict. Got a thumbs up!!

Thanks for looking. (Pics a little out of order)

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Will you Marry me =)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hotch
    Options

Well @Mickey I will need to decline.

But there may be a chance that I bring the fryer to Salado.

Depending on what we cook this year. It takes a lot of space when it travels.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Will you Marry me =)
    I will, but I'm only doing it for your money ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Hotch
    It looks excellent brother. Deep frying makes everything better my friend =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    So many things scream "fry me " to me, but they shut up when they see the look on swmbo's face. 

This sounds amazing, especially with that caramel sauce. What brand of rum cake was it? Maybe it's available in my neck of the woods too.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Hotch
    Which size fryer did you buy? I went with the 8 but wish that I would have went with the 6. The 8 is no deeper, only wider. As such it use more oil. This is handy for frying huge batches of shrimp and fish, but offers nothing as far as frying turkeys. In hind sight, I should have got the 6 for oil savings. I still love the fryer though. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Hotch
    Which size fryer did you buy? I went with the 8 but wish that I would have went with the 6. The 8 is no deeper, only wider. As such it use more oil. This is handy for frying huge batches of shrimp and fish, but offers nothing as far as frying turkeys. In hind sight, I should have got the 6 for oil savings. I still love the fryer though. 

I have the 4 Gal. 2 black handle baskets and cart. I bought it maybe 4 -5 years ago.

And I have more fun with it. The chicken fried Bacon was a big hit at the N Texas Brethren Bash.

But my all time favorite is deep fried cubes of all beef bologna with jalapeno mustard dipping sauce.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    @SGH Sent you a PM.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @SGH Sent you a PM.
    Got it brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Options

Hell I wonder if I can deep fry a filet.

I will be cooking filets for Christmas. Grandson wanted them. I may just cube one up and see how it turns out. 

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Dang it to Heck and Back!!!!

When you're on a diet, how come everything everybody posts about is illegal?

I LOVE rum cake, and there's good reason to think I would LOVE deep fried Rum Cake too.

Spring "It's A Lot More Fun To Be Fat" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Hotch
    Options
    caliking said:
    So many things scream "fry me " to me, but they shut up when they see the look on swmbo's face. 

This sounds amazing, especially with that caramel sauce. What brand of rum cake was it? Maybe it's available in my neck of the woods too.  
    @caliking Texas Rock'n Rum Cake Company. Been making these for over 30 years. Right here in Ft Worth Texas.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Those look good hotch! That screen setup looks easy enough. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    If that's even better than your fried angel food, I couldn't handle it.  Looks fantastic, Mr. Hotch!! 
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.