Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first packer on the egg

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
The kids are home for the holidays so I have an excuse to cook a big hunk 'o beef. I thawed and trimmed a choice packer I picked up a while back. It probably weighs about 12 pounds trimmed. Seasoned with just S&P. I put it on about 1:00AM @250 degrees. I have Rockwood lump and hickory chunks in the egg. At 6:00AM the temp was about 260ish and holding. I hope I'm in line to finish mid afternoon. I'll bump the temp if it starts to feel iffy. Comments welcome. I've cooked briskets before, this is just my first on the egg. 

I'm starting some baked beans. Will make some mac & cheese also. I'll post updates along. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Pull it when it probes tender. Leave on the counter till I cools down some.don't wrap it too soon. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SciAggie
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Pull it when it probes tender. Leave on the counter till I cools down some.don't wrap it too soon. 
    I hear ya. I'm on holiday, I have a fridge full of adult beverages and no agenda. I can wait until it's done - life is good. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It looks awesome so far. Your agenda has been given the "continue mission" status. Stay properly hydrated.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Godspeed aggie, enjoy the cook!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm standing by for results. Love the sides too. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    What a great way to start the weekend.  I'm sure it will be quite a banquet when finished.  Since this is not your first brisket rodeo-the finish-line is the same as you well know.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Off to a good start.

I would bump the temp up if you want to eat mid afternoon. Better to finish early and hold it in a cooler.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Tinyfish I think that's a good idea. I bumped it up to about 285. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looking good brother!  Kids will devour that!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Looking great, standing by for the finale
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    I would guess at 225ish your looking at 12 to 14 hours. 

What's the internal temp now and when do you want to eat.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I am living vicariously @SciAggie
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I'm thinking things are doing ok. Temp in the flat it about 160 - in the stall. Dome temp about 285. Things look and smell good - time for a sammich and something to drink. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Almost there... I think I'll have a brewsky and resist the temptation to get in a hurry. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Good looking cook you've got going.   Can't wait to see the finished product. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SciAggie
    Options
    Probing like nothing is there. Total cook time 15 hours. FTC and holding until time to eat. I never realized briskets were single serving - don't know what the rest of the family is going to eat. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @SciAggie - regarding the adult supervisory beverages, whenever the BGE is on then the beverages are a part of the ambiance.  As you are aware, patience is a virtue and the watchword with a brisket cook.  Great eats await.  The cook is truly the best part of the journey for me.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Absolutely looks awesome.... Enjoy this fine slab with the family!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Fine looking meteorite!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Mission Accomplished. Outstanding results!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    You definitely nailed this cook...congrats.  
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @YukonRon @Tinyfish I'll post some sliced pics when we eat. I'm working on the mac&cheese now. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Looks great, enjoy the kids while they are home. 
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon @Tinyfish I'll post some sliced pics when we eat. I'm working on the mac&cheese now. 
    Standing by.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    Options
    FTC for about 3 hours. The brisket was good - not the greatest - but good. It was definitely tender. Got some smoke ring. The family thought it was wonderful. Y'all have a fabulous weekend. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    You got the thumbs up from the family. That's what counts. Nicely done.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks good brother!! 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I'd definitely hit that.  Nice.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks great, nice job.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    looks like a winner to me.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2