Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you like to see a hog butchered?

Options

Comments

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    I already voted with my qualified opinion as long as it isn't graphic, but the butchering of the gutted carcasses would be interesting. NOW for several dumb questions on my part. Are you doing all this by yourself? I would think 4 hogs would take some time from start to finish. Don't you bleed a hog after killing it? Surely you have a large processing area to do all this through the various stage needing santization.  Where will you be refrigerating 4 processed hogs? 
    You are killing me Ron ;) But I will take a shot at a few of the above. Yes I'm bleeding them down the old school way. Hung upside down and the throat cut. I'm nowhere near as fast as I use to be, but I can still break a carcass down in near record time when compared to a novice. I can kill, bleed, gut and break the carcass down into primals in less than a hour by myself with just a big breaking knife, a medium breaking knife and a shank knife. With access to a saw, even faster. For now I'm only taking them down to primals, I will finish reducing them later when he decides what and how he wants the commodity cuts. And yes, I have access to several walk in freezers my friend. As far as sanitation, well let's just hope that the health department doesn't show up ;)
    Dexter much?  I'm out.  But I'll eat the hell out of anything you cook!  =)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @GuitarEC ..... lol......   go back to your room,  activities class with Dr Woodson starts in an hr...
    @GuitarEC is my smart azz son in law  aka sasil.    He gets out of his restraints on occasion..  :-)  

@RRP said "Surely you have a large processing area to do all this through the various stage needing santization. "

Ron,  please don't call Scottie "Shirley"

Food Network needs to pick up @SGH 's youtube channel  Butcherin in Biloxi  sponsored by RTIC,  the other white cooler.....

Are we all drinking tonight while we watch the bloodletting?  
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • swordsmn
    Options
    I agree with sentiments expressed by @johnnyp
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    It's not anyone's job to rub the faces of the more sensitive in the realities of where food comes from - that is a 'I'm better'n y'all' kind of thing and below most of us.

I hunt a lot. I eat what I kill.  I look my food in the eye and dispatch it.  doesn't make me any better than anyone else and I don't require anyone else to have the same sensibilities or experiences that I have,

In addition, while the good folks at PETA (no, not people eating tasty animals) and HSUS already have plenty of footage for their cause, there is certainly no need to provide further stoke to their fires.

One man's opinion.

• swordsmn
    Options
    Ya know @SGH , it may NOT be the season,a week before Christmas,  to post the slaughter itself on BGE..  Maybe offer a link to those who PM you?  Just my 2cents.

Doug (not a moderator)
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    personally I see no problem with a video of this nature as long as it is properly labeled and folks know what they are clicking on.  

I dont understand why anyone that could possibly have a problem with is wouldnt simply just not watch it.

with that said, I dont own this website, so at the end of the day, I would make sure they are cool with it and if so, then proceed.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes.

If I change my mind or find it disturbing, I am capable of self-moderating by skipping the thread.

Before butchering, can you wash the hogs, dress them up like little elves and let the local school children play with them?  I guess that's going too far, but you would get a lot of comments on the video...  :open_mouth: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blasting said:
    thetrim said:
    Will you be wearing your Hillary 2016 shirt?  
    @thetrim  I'm picturing Nola and SGH hanging out - Nola is rockin' the "Make America Great Again" hat and SGH in a Hillary T-Shirt.

That would make a great Christmas Card
    *sleeveless Hillary half shirt.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,987
    edited December 2015
    Options
    nobody is getting banned for this. They may sink it or remove it if they find it too graphic but this is tame compared to the stuff they let go on all the time. Hell even the bad ones are generally just sunk and not deleted.  It actually is on topic with what most of us do on here. I say ask forgiveness, not permission and go for it.

Although I will say- as always, we need to think about all the kids on here. When we say dirty words or post graphic photos, legions of 12 year old aspiring eggers will be crushed and need years of therapy before they can log on to the internet again.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    blood and guts is fine, just dont let me see you butchering some iceburg lettuce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Absolutely. I'm totally down with that. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    I'd watch it but only if @SGH sings his Yeti song while butchering! :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Do bears **** in the woods?
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I'm in. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Let it rip. I'd even title the thread "Boston butts with heavy trimming." Haha
  • swordsmn
    Options
    blood and guts is fine, just dont let me see you butchering some iceburg lettuce
    and NO Forks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Here's a picture of a recent hog slaughter I documented
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Maybe we should have counselors on standby for those who feel the need to discuss their feelings afterward. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • badinfluence
    Options
    It will show there is a lot more work involved then what a lot of people think to butchering a hog. Next you can do a cow!
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Here's a picture of a recent hog slaughter I documented
    Here is one from my glory days ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• carwash66
    Options
    Bring it on! Butchered many with my grandfather when I was young...A lot younger.
  • matt121966
    Options
    gut that pig !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas 
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    It appears that there are many on here that would like to see the butchering, but not the slaughtering of the animals. So, @SGH - what about the possibility of posting separate videos of each so that those who do not want or need to see the slaughtering do not have to in order to view the butchering portion? That is, if you get approval ( :o ) from BGE. 

Myself, I would probably watch both as I am a city slicker that has never seen this process before.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I need to start buying whole hog and having it processed. I would easily use every piece with no waste.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • swordsmn
    edited December 2015
    Options
    whatever he does,  it should be topless  with him saying
     "it puts the lotion in the basket.."
    "
    bob.png 43.5K
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    whatever he does,  it should be topless  with him saying "it puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again"
    fixed your quote.  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum