Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you like to see a hog butchered?

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited December 2015

Some of the things that interest me most about food is the real work that goes into it.  I think that learning more independence for ourselves, whether it be making bacon or sausage, cheese or sauerkraut, breaking down primals, and even at some point being able to butcher our own livestock are talents that are rapidly fading from our collective skillset.  I say share the wealth and let us experience it through your work.  Maybe go light on the preliminary graphics but everything from that point on is very interesting. 

To keep it forum worthy throw a hunk of something on the egg and post that so it is not OT.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Legume said:
    You absolutely need to post this!
    Short of a threat from the buffalo himself, it's a done deal my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Home, home on the range...  Post away Scottie!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    bgebrent said:
    Home, home on the range...  Post away Scottie!
    If the buffalo strikes, I will post it on the Brethern, The Smoke Ring and Smoking Meat Forum so anyone who wishes to see it can. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    I already voted with my qualified opinion as long as it isn't graphic, but the butchering of the gutted carcasses would be interesting. NOW for several dumb questions on my part. Are you doing all this by yourself? I would think 4 hogs would take some time from start to finish. Don't you bleed a hog after killing it? Surely you have a large processing area to do all this through the various stage needing santization.  Where will you be refrigerating 4 processed hogs? 
    You are killing me Ron ;) But I will take a shot at a few of the above. Yes I'm bleeding them down the old school way. Hung upside down and the throat cut. I'm nowhere near as fast as I use to be, but I can still break a carcass down in near record time when compared to a novice. I can kill, bleed, gut and break the carcass down into primals in less than a hour by myself with just a big breaking knife, a medium breaking knife and a shank knife. With access to a saw, even faster. For now I'm only taking them down to primals, I will finish reducing them later when he decides what and how he wants the commodity cuts. And yes, I have access to several walk in freezers my friend. As far as sanitation, well let's just hope that the health department doesn't show up ;)
    I said up front they were dumb questions. Go for it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I wouldn't worry about offending anyone as long as you describe what you're posting in the thread title.  If they click the thread, it's on them.  
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I am in.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    The buffalo is again thoughtful, your post will survive and the buffalo will be proud.
  • RRP
    No offense about the storage - when I bring home a spare butt, turkey or such I slap my head and say hope I can shoehorn this into our already crammed freezers...but the price was right...LOL
  • Yes, and the next I would like to see is a a boer goat butchered.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited December 2015
    my brothers in laws kill the pig day before or day of that they raise , BBQ whole for Xmas eve dinner (Cuban Style).   We have it every year, im just not there for the knife to the heart (how they do it) Go for it...

they do several that day, mexicans and other purchase them for the occasion. I just see the bloodied and worn knuckles from fighting the pigs all day.
    Seattle, WA
  • bgebrent
    Very good brother Double, had me laughing!
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    RRP said:
    Ron, they were not dumb questions at all my friend. I hope that I did not give you the impression that I thought that they were. I say things in jest sometimes presuming that the person on the other end knows that I'm only kidding. For clarity, I do not see any question that someone asks as dumb or unwarranted. I try to answer anything asked to the best of my ability. However I do like to joke and cut up at times. I always presume that everyone knows when I'm doing this. If I offended you in any way, my apologies my friend. That was certainly not my intent. I used the " ;) " above to indicate I was only joking. Again, my apologies if I offended. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    @SGH, I've never known you to be a kidder, ever.
  • SGH
    Smoker317 said:
    Yes, and the next I would like to see is a a boer goat butchered.
    I can probably accommodate you with this request at New Years. We usually slaughter a couple for the New Year. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    bgebrent said:
    @SGH, I've never known you to be a kidder, ever.
    This ^^^^^^ is why you are one of my favorites brother =)

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    Ron, they were not dumb questions at all my friend. I hope that I did not give you the impression that I thought that they were. I say things in jest sometimes presuming that the person on the other end knows that I'm only kidding. For clarity, I do not see any question that someone asks as dumb or unwarranted. I try to answer anything asked to the best of my ability. However I do like to joke and cut up at times. I always presume that everyone knows when I'm doing this. If I offended you in any way, my apologies my friend. That was certainly not my intent. I used the " ;) " above to indicate I was only joking. Again, my apologies if I offended. 
    We're cool, Scott! Cut away! 
  • SkinnyV
    edited December 2015
    @SGH are you familiar with the knife/pik to the heart method? Been invited to watch but pass...the guys look like they been in bare knuckle brawls by days end.
    Seattle, WA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Man, I haven't butchered a pig in 20 years, but I have fond memories of the family event.  My dad and I were just talking about the "cracklings cauldron" this past Sunday.  

I think if we're cooking up his bacon parts, we should be able to acknowledge where it comes from.  Looking forward to the post @SGH

Phoenix 
  • I would enjoy seeing this very natural part of life. Having harvested and processed deer my whole life has given me a closer connection to the food I eat. I think it would be a good thing to watch for someone who eats meat but has never considered the whole process. Plus I would enjoy seeing how you cut your shoulders & ribs. Bring it!
    Large BGE
  • SGH
    SkinnyV said:
    @SGH are you familiar with the knife/pik to the heart method? Been invited to watch but pass...the guys look like they been in bare knuckle brawls by days end.
    Yeah I'm familiar with it, but never learned the technique. We always either cut the throat or busted their brain with a sticking knife. If you go, I would love to see the blood extraction process from sticking the heart. Are they doing a suction tube assist? 

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Standing by brother. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    Appropriate? Of course it is appropriate

if a person cannot bear to see how the food they enjoy and need is actually made, and don't have enough backbone to honor the animal that they eat by understanding what it took to bring it to them, then they are infantile, and ought to be ashamed. 

Otherwise, what did the animal live for? Your own momentary convenience? 

Dad always said: you kill it, you eat it

The corollary to that is:  if you don't acknowledge that you're killing something every time you eat, you're ignoring your culpability. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    That^^^^^^^^^^^ is truth!  Hopefully no one on here feels otherwise!
  • SkinnyV
    @SGH, I will be there next week. I wont go watch...will ask though.
    Seattle, WA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Faces of Death SGH style sounds just way too cool
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    @SGH, "standing by", when is this gonna be posted brother?
  • Aye
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    edited December 2015
    @SGH

I the words of Ricky, "why not just get two birds stoned at once"?

Do a slaughter vid, and then do a butchering vid.

One for the visceral, vampire crowd, and one for the aspiring butcher babes.

Personally, I won't ever be slaughtering but have taken butchering classes and would love to check out some primal cuts- I am sure you will have plenty O content!

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook