Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gun Safe Zones

Options
bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
My life is devoted to helping strangers, saving lives and helping others.  Every hospital I discharge those duties in are declared "weapon free".  That also declares them to be the softest of targets.  As most of you know I conceal carry, except in the hospitals I work in as a law abiding citizen.  Given the events of the day, what do you think is a reasonable way forward?
Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• rossv1
    rossv1 Posts: 114
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you're properly concealed, nobody knows you have it. ;)

Also, not sure of your location but I know in GA we're allowed to carry so long as it's not on a college campus or med school etc. 

You're in a touchy situation because it's your workplace. 
    22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Because that was a ridiculous question I'll just pontificate.  Had the catastrophe that occurred in CA been in GA, the outcome would have differed.  In GA we're proud to own many guns, legally that time and again, disrupt illegall activity.  The bad guys have access to any gun.  The only way to fight back is with a gun.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited December 2015
    Options
    preventative measures need to be taken.  I think there can be a healthy discussion as to what those measures should be.

more extensive background checks?  Mental health screenings?  I think these aren't  unreasonable things to request.  

I got my first firearm in a transaction that took less than 15 mins. In hindsight, maybe that's too easy.

I don't think anyone would argue that the rash of recent shootings can not be allowed to continue.  People just can't be so entrenched in their belief systems that common ground can't be reached.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Getting a firearm in less than 15 minutes is not a crime.  Unless you have a psychiatric diagnosis which I believe you don't.  The end game is mental illness.  It's a tough uphill battle!  It's not about guns, it's about a better mental illness database being a part of background checks.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lets give all the thalidomide babies with learning disabilities a 357 magnum in each flipper (they don't have hands sometimes) and problem solved, if it was in GA, that's what they'd do.  RIGHT?  AMIRIGHT?   Yeah. 
    edited December 2015
    Options

Yes.  Georgia.
     :| 

The other mass shooting that happened today in the United States

The rampage that claimed at least 14 lives in San Bernardino, Calif., isn't today's first mass shooting. Here’s news you probably missed: A gunman in Savannah, Ga., shot four people early Wednesday, killing a woman and injuring three men.

[What we know about the shooting in San Bernardino]

Police haven’t arrested a suspect, said Eunicia Baker, spokesperson for the Savannah Chatham Police Department. They also haven’t released the names of the victims. The local media barely acknowledged the murder: One local television station covered it in three paragraphs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-other-mass-shooting-that-happened-today-in-the-united-states/

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• bgebrent
    Options
    Finally, thank you @nolaegghead for chiming in and assuming no one knew thalidomide babies suffered from phocomelia and that there was no correlation between phocomelia and learning disabilities!  The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is my phocomelic son with a .357. All day long!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Aim, squeeze, boom. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    So @Sardonicus, please put forth your point brother.  And be sure to follow with facts from Chicago, Miami, Dallas, New OrLeans, New York, Trenton, Detroit, Los Angeles and Baltimore.  We're there any mass shootings there?  If so why?  
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    So @Sardonicus, please put forth your point brother.  . . .

My point, brother, :|  was merely to question the notion that Georgia's interface with mass shootings was any different/better than any other states' - as you seemed to imply.

If we disagree on that, I'm certainly okay with disagreeing with you.  :)

Also note that I mentioned "Georgia", a state.  Your query, in response, mentioned "Chicago, Miami, Dallas, New OrLeans, New York, Trenton, Detroit, Los Angeles and Baltimore."
    Those are cities, not states.  
    Yes, brother, it's a niggling point, but there it is.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/heres-a-map-of-all-the-mass-shootings-in-2015/

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• bgebrent
    Options
    @Sardonicus,  you missed my intention but that's my fault.    You referenced killings in Savannah Ga, thank you.  My point was killing is all to common and is somehow accepted as normal today.  I'm older and assume you are younger.  The acceptance of killing for stupid reasons is something I cant accept.  You and I must figure out how to make our kids value life. Americas future.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited December 2015
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @Sardonicus,  you missed my intention . . .

Oh, okay.  I thought you said, "Had the catastrophe that occurred in CA been in GA, the outcome would have differed."

My mistake. 
    Good night, brother.

B) 

• bgebrent
    Options
    @Sardonicus, that I meant brother, all day long!  No mistake!
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    If only there were civilized countries in the world without mass shootings. Maybe we could mimic their strategy. 
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @hoofaloos like....like...Australia?
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Because that was a ridiculous question I'll just pontificate.  Had the catastrophe that occurred in CA been in GA, the outcome would have differed.  In GA we're proud to own many guns, legally that time and again, disrupt illegall activity.  The bad guys have access to any gun.  The only way to fight back is with a gun.
    Georgia has a higher murder rate than California. Make of that statistic what you will.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    If you look at Chicago who has very strict gun control laws all they have done is created a black market for illegal guns all drive by supply and demand. The criminals have created an system to bring guns in, protect the supply chainwhich in fact increase crime in its self and all it does is leave law abiding citizens unprotected.

The only way to properly institute gun control is to do it as a nation and secure the borders to where it's next to impossible to create that black market for illegal guns. When I was in Morocco for several months they had this it locked down. They had police on ever corner and searched everything coming in. We were there to train their military and had brought guns/ammo and they would count every piece of brass on the range to make sure none of it went missing.

the other easier option is to allow law abiding citizens to protect themselves and teach weapon safety in schools and these events would be very few.
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Deaths in Australia on the rise! 21% increase year over year!!

Kidding of course, had no idea, thanks for posting. 2nd amendment makes this a tricky feat here in the states. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Personally, I like to carry a tactical nuclear warhead around.  Sure, the extra radiation is a bummer for my family, but at least I know - the next time we're invaded by Japan - I'll be the one who's ready!  

Nuke em from orbit, folks.  It's the only way to be sure.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    unfortunately the immense freedom we enjoy is also enjoyed by these who do not abide by our laws.  Given the prevalence of guns in our society there is no way to unscrew the pooch on the types of weaponry possessed by the masses and this will continue to be a problem.

• Davec433
    Options
    http://www.mintpressnews.com/the-facts-that-neither-side-wants-to-admit-about-gun-control/207152/

The UK enacted its handgun ban in 1996. From 1990 until the ban was enacted, the homicide rate fluctuated between 10.9 and 13 homicides per million. After the ban was enacted, homicides trended up until they reached a peak of 18.0 in 2003. Since 2003, which incidentally was about the time the British government flooded the country with 20,000 more cops, the homicide rate has fallen to 11.1 in 2010. In other words, the 15-year experiment in a handgun ban has achieved absolutely nothing.

Ireland: Ireland banned firearms in 1972. Ireland’s homicide rate was fairly static going all the way back to 1945. In that period, it fluctuated between 0.1 and 0.6 per 100,000 people. Immediately after the ban, the murder rate shot up to 1.6 per 100,000 people in 1975. It then dropped back down to 0.4. It has trended up, reaching 1.4 in 2007.

Australia: Australia enacted its gun ban in 1996. Murders have basically run flat, seeing only a small spike after the ban and then returning almost immediately to preban numbers. It is currently trending down, but is within the fluctuations exhibited in other nations.

Let's not forget the real reason why we have the 2nd Amendment.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    So the NRA has something to do?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,241
    Options
    The buffalo has struck again. 
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    I own guns.

I respect guns

I am even afraid somewhat of guns

I am unwilling to live in a situation where I cannot defend my home and family

I wish the world was different and I didn't need to feel that way

I believe anyone that ignores the need for safety is putting themselves at great risk

yes, I understand it is highly unlikely that I will experience a home invasion or a crazed theater murderer......just as it's highly unlikely I will have a wreck in my car and die, but I wear my seatbelt every single time.

gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    My wife's work is gun free but the doctor has several firearms at work. The other doctor is taking the staff to the gun range. My wife couldn't be happier 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Davec433
    Options

The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes; The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.