Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Philly Cheese Steaks

Options
Had a request to do Philly Cheese Steaks this weekend.  Does anyone have a good process or a recommendation on a cut of meat to use?  We do not have a blackstone (i wish), just a large big green egg and a weber gasser. Other than peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese, am I missing anything?  What's a good side to put together with these sandwiches?  Thanks for your help! 
Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Shaved Ribeye for the meat, if you have cast iron you should be good.  

Good bread is the key...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I usually just buy sliced steak from Winn Dixie. And I always use provolone cheese.

never been to philly, but I love to eat them with a good early side of fries
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    They sell philly cheese meat in large boxes at Restaurant depot. Either that or get some steak sliced real thin. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i just buy the shaved beef. something a little different but is really good is to marinated the shaved beef in a ratio of 2 tbls soy, 1 tbls fish sauce, 1/2 tsp sugar per about a pound

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/995739/more-steak-bombs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Only acceptable cheese is the Whiz.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Ribeye for the meat.  The major thing you have forgotten is the bread.  It's an important component of a good cheese steak.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've done these a million different ways, but I usually use whatever is left over......which most of the time is flank.  Ribeye would by better.  I slice it in long strips, then turn it 90 and cut it into little slivers.

I've caramelize some onions and peppers in a skillet and heat some "take-and-bake" French bread from the local bakery.

Then I'll split the bread and put some garlic butter on it--put it under the broiler for a second.  Scoop on the steak and onion/pepper mix......I even put a layer of smoked sausage on there the other day.  Then I'll make a cheese sauce usually for it (I don't like the CheeseWhiz).  I put lots of horseradish, brown mustard, etc in the sauce.  Sometimes I'll top it with candied brussels spouts in balsamic.  Again, all depends on what I have to get rid of.

Wrap it back up and into the oven or Egg for 20 minutes.  Doesn't hurt to put it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds if the bread it too hard afterward.  Some combos have been better than others, but it's always pretty good.

Edit:  then I top with sliced pepperchinis.   And I apologize to anyone in Philly as this is probably not much of a "Philly" by the time I get done with it.  More of hybrid between a Philly and Chicago Italian Beef when some other influences??

• MelSharples
    Options
    For a true cheesesteak you'll need thinly sliced ribeye. Short of that you can use any of the cuts mentioned above, just  slice it as thin as possible, nothing worse than taking a bite and having all the meat fall out. The traditional cheese is Cheez Whiz, but provolone is more than acceptable as well. I've also had them with pepperjack which adds a nice little spice to it. The most important ingredient as mentioned above is the bread. I noticed that you have 4 Jimmy Johns locations in Greenville, they sell their day old bread for next to nothing. It is perfect for cheesesteak.

**Side note, I like to wrap mine in foil after I put them together, it lets all of the ingredients meld together and warms the bread.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • MattyMc
    Options
    Cheese should be American or Provolone. Whiz is for the tourists and wasn't historically used as it wasn't even invented until years after the sandwich. 
    Chester County, PA
  • BGE Convert
    Options
    MattyMc said:
    Cheese should be American or Provolone. Whiz is for the tourists and wasn't historically used as it wasn't even invented until years after the sandwich. 

I am pretty sure that Pats or Genos would argue with that its just for the tourists....although these two are nothing special but hyped up hoagie joints in Philly...just sayin....
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sorry.......can't help you this week =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Here is what I did back in September.  I tried to slice it as thin as I could, it helps if it is frozen.  A slicer would be better.  You want it really thin and I used a CI skillet.  The bread is the other hard on to find.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1186331/my-try-at-philly-cheese-steak#latest
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have had pretty good luck slicing rib eye that was frozen and partially thawed.  I have the dexter roast slicer and I'm pretty sure I could cut a tree limb into I prefer white american cheese or a combination of white american and provolone.  I totally agree the bread is also important.  To be honest I haven't really found the right bread.  Last time I made them I used the Publix french hamburger buns...which isn't authentic Philly by any means, but they were really tasty.  

For a side item we ate all the meat and peppers that fell off the sammiches :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I do bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, provolone, and sliced thin ribeye. Lately I've been using chiabata bread that's been buttered and toasted.
    For sides, I usually do french fries or tater tots (or crispy crowns).
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SuperCooper
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. My in laws have a meat slicer so i'm going to give it a shot. Pepperjack cheese sounds good, but we'll have options. 

@northGAcock ha, should be a fun weekend, im hearing rumors about your next coach. 
    Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think you will have your way with my boys......have a good Thanksgiving.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Pepperjack?  There are lots of great things you can add to a beef sandwich. However, at some point you need to stop calling it a Philly cheesesteak and give it a different name.  Add what you want and then call it a SuperCooper Beef Sandwich. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Pepperjack?  There are lots of great things you can add to a beef sandwich. However, at some point you need to stop calling it a Philly cheesesteak and give it a different name.  Add what you want and then call it a SuperCooper Beef Sandwich. 
    call it a steak bomb, better than a cheese whiz philly cheese steak anyways =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I just finished eating a Philly Cheesesteak not 15 minutes ago.  I buy the shaved and portioned box of frozen meat at RD.   I find it to be fairly authentic.  I use 1 1/2 portions per sandwich.  After many cheese experiments, I've landed on one slice of provolone, and one slice white American.  I will occasionally add some peppers, but usually just grilled onions.  

To make these on an egg, you might consider picking up the Lodge cast iron pizza pan might give you more working room than a pan.  Walmart carries it where I'm from and I think it's about $35.  

Phoenix