Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Try at Philly Cheese Steak

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
I thoughtI would try this in a CI skillet and I only had one skillet s I had to cook the veggies  first then the steak.  Came out ok, but I need to slice the meat thinner.  I also need to find a softer roll.  Will have t to try this again.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Still looks pretty good to me!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Where da cheese whiz?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GATraveller
    Options
    Looks quite tasty. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I'll eat it!!   Where's the cherry peppers?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Where da cheese whiz?
    My wife and her family that are from Philly prefer white american cheese.

Kansas City, Mo.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Nice.  I want to try my hand at a Roast Pork sandwich, like they make here; http://www.johnsroastpork.com/

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great from here.  I think white american is my favorite as well.  I like provolone, but it doesn't melt as well.  The white american is a good compromise between the prov and the whiz.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Here are a couple tips.

Put the meat in the freezer to firm up.--much easier to slice thin. The grocery store bakery department usually has italian bread already baked. It is the right consistency. Super soft. Wrong shape, but I don't care. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'd eat that, then make it again, then eat that, rinse and repeat. Hopefully it would take a while to get it right! 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That looks great from here.  I think white american is my favorite as well.  I like provolone, but it doesn't melt as well.  The white american is a good compromise between the prov and the whiz.  
    Bravo!!   After eating cheesesteaks since the age of 3 every single sat night, I fully approve. If that means a thing.....

Now that I make them at home, I prefer to use sirloin that is chipped on the slicer (after being in the freezer to get really firm), with New Yorker White American cheese on the amoroso roll which luckily, I can get here.  

Other toppings are all just a matter of pure preference.  I top with raw (onions) and ketchup. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I did freeze the rib eye and tried try to slice it thin but it didn't come out like I wanted.  I want a slicer.  I also went to our bakery or grocery store, but couldn't find anything softer.  I need to check around more.  I will try it again and again and again.

Kansas City, Mo.