Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - New Orleans Weekend

Options
My wife and I will be spending a long weekend in New Orleans for the first time.  I am looking for suggestions on places to eat, things to do and see while there.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Valley City, Ohio

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Drago's for grilled oysters- let the rest chime in but these are good. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dragos and OceanA are both excellent. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Go To Frenchman Street one night- much better scene than Bourbon.

It will all be good but we ate at Marginy Brasserie and listened to great local jazz at the Maison
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    The Gumbo Shop.  Dollar for dollar it is the best food I've ever had.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Grab a muffuletta from central grocery. 
  • Tupac
    Tupac Posts: 20
    Options
    Clancy's is my favorite spot. It's Uptown in a mostly residential area. It is old school, classic New Orleans. You can never go wrong with Commander's Palace. The jazz brunch is always great. Any Donald Link restaurant is a must if you want the best cajun food the city has to offer. Peche is his "fish house" and I've had numerous great meals there. Herbsaint and Cochon are great as well. Galtoire's for the oysters rockefeller. We usually like to go for a late night pizza or pasta dish at Domenica in the Roosevelt Hotel. Lots of great options, obviously. Enjoy the trip! 
    Options
    If you're here now, you should do what ever it takes to get to the Orpheum Theater by 11am for the Allen Toussaint memorial tribute. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Agree with @Tupac as to Clancy's -- it's our go to "nice" place in town for old school food and service in a really cool converted house in a residential area. For "down and dirty" I like Franky & Johnny's in the Garden District (sorta).  Road house atmosphere and awesome food.  http://frankieandjohnnys.net/

Also like Jacques Imo's -- creative and fun.  And if you're lucky, you can sit outside in the bed of their pick up and have a drink with Jacques hisownself.  http://jacques-imos.com/

You can get a killer po boy from Killer Po Boys in the back of the Erin Rose bar. It's not a traditional po boy, but the black beer beef debris is soooo worth it, drunk, sober or on your way to either.  http://www.killerpoboys.com/

Tons of great options, best town ever.  (Although I'm biased bc I met SWMBO there about 200 years ago.)

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • VC_Outlaw
    Options
    Thanks guys.  We will be there Dec 3rd - Dec 6th.
    Valley City, Ohio
  • hellavaengineer
    hellavaengineer Posts: 5
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I went a couple weeks ago for a long weekend.  Great city.  Get by the Ruby Slipper for brunch one morning and have the eggs cochon.  Its their take on eggs Benedict but with pulled pork.  I immediately cooked a pork butt when I got home to try to recreate it but my biscuits were not as good
  • SGH
    Options
    VC_Outlaw said:
    As of today I'm no longer working. Myself and Nola will more than likely be in the area. If you would like to meet up give me a shout. I'm always looking for a reason to come eat oysters. It would be great to meet you my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Dang near everything there is good to great!

I like to stop in the shops and ask the "locals" where they like to go.  If you see a place called Fleurty Girl, stop in there, I'm a friend of the owner, and they will point you in all the right directions.  They've got stores all over.  Lauren is about 5 foot nothing tall and simply adorable.  She's got a komado cooker, too, but not an Egg!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Grab a muffuletta from central grocery. 
    +1 on this recommendation.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Tupac
    Tupac Posts: 20
    Options
    Also, if you are in to history, the Word War II museum is fantastic. Shopping on Magazine St will probably be a must for your wife. 
    Options
    All excellent suggestions.

Be sure to check out the Bywater area, and of course the neighboring Marigny.  Oxalis and Booty's Street Food are interesting.  I guarantee you'll meet and talk to some interesting locals if you walk around that neighborhood.
    @SGH Thanks for the offer.  I think Nola will be busy fixing his truck door that weekend. ;)
    Thank you all for the suggestions we will check out all we can.  I am sure it will be a great trip.
    Valley City, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I am picking up the replacement truck door in about 10 minutes from the painter.  The truck will be fixed tomorrow when I put the door in.   DAMN YOU, RANDY!!!
    edited November 2015
    Options
    if you want to go to one amazing semi-nice place, its in the middle of town but it's the best food ive ever put in my mouth in the 10 times ive been to New Orleans. One of my best friends lives there and he took me. Ye Olde College Inn. Amazing dinner for $25 a plate. red drum if they're serving it. 

EDIT: Get whatever the fish of the day is!
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    If you are driving into/out of town I highly recommend Mindendorffs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You know, oddly, I've never been to Mindendorffs.  I'm not a big fried catfish fan, but I'm told that will change if I eat theirs.
    Options
    You know, oddly, I've never been to Mindendorffs.  I'm not a big fried catfish fan, 
    I am. Let's try it out. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Sure Scottie.  It's about a 55 minute drive from my crib but I'm game.
    .  I'm not a big fried catfish fan, but I'm told that will change if I eat theirs.
    I'm with you, Carey. I can eat it, but there's just so much better seafood out there. Especially in your neck of the woods. 
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Sure Scottie.  It's about a 55 minute drive from my crib but I'm game.
    First time I went to Middendorff's it was a revelation.  Now that I've been eating all of this good ass seafood for 10 years it may be less amazing, but I doubt you'll be disappointed. 
  • bayouegger
    Options
    All great recommendations, I work at the Federal Courthouse downtown NOLA and I have to just say.  Be careful.  NOLA has some serious crime right now, everyday you hear of 2 or 3 armed robberies, carjackings and of course murders.  Stay on the main streets and grab a cab or Uber whenever possible.  
    Have fun!

Here are some of mine:

For Music:

http://www.chickiewahwah.com/  On canal street.  Super clean, no smoking and the shows start early for old people ;-)

http://www.dbaneworleans.com/ Music club in the Marigny
    http://bluenilelive.com/ Jazz club with great burgers

Not a great area of the City but cool music.  

http://www.littlegemsaloon.com/   Cool place near the dome.

Food:

Dinner:

Cochon or Cochon butcher

Peche

Watching Sports:

Mannings 
    Walk-ons by the dome

Watching waitresses:

Happy's by the dome

Pizza and other great food  Domenica http://domenicarestaurant.com/

Mr Bs

Muffalettas  Central Grocery

Poorboys... Parkway!  Right now they have the Thanksgiving on certain days.  yum!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    SGH said:
    You know, oddly, I've never been to Mindendorffs.  I'm not a big fried catfish fan, 
    I am. Let's try it out. 
    Shoot me too. I LOVE fried catfish. Invite your young friend from Biloxi when ya'll go!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    Shoot me too. I LOVE fried catfish. Invite your young friend from Biloxi when ya'll go!
    Finally, someone making some sense. Fried catfish (river catfish) is food fit for the Gods. Brother Grim, you are invited. 

Status- Standing by.

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Mandina's on Canal St.  

A real taste of New Orleans food.
    Their food is always great

I'm a native New Orleanian. I highly recommend. 

http://mandinasrestaurant.com/nola/

It's not just Italian. Some of the best seafood dishes in New Orleans
    The best Shrimp Etouffee in the world

http://mandinasrestaurant.com/nola/main-menu/
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    SGH said:
    VC_Outlaw said:
    As of today I'm no longer working. Myself and Nola will more than likely be in the area. If you would like to meet up give me a shout. I'm always looking for a reason to come eat oysters. It would be great to meet you my friend. 
    Did you finally get off that damn oil rig??  Now can I get the seafood stuffed chicken recipe i've been waiting for since Brisket Camp #1...No joke glad to have you back!! But, I do need recipe.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • SGH
    Options
    @piney
    Give me a call tomorrow my friend. I will gladly help you out. 

Status- Standing by.