Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkeys...To Brine Or Not To Brine

Options
2»

Comments

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    The only time I don't brine is when I fry a turkey usually throw some citrus in there lemon and orange brown sugar and salt. 
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    Try dry brining... 
    +1
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Does the dry brining help make the skin crispy?
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    based on what I am reading, I think this years bird will get a "dry brine" before it hits the XL.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Dry brine will help flavor your bird. It also extracts moisture.  Wet brine flavors your bird, and extracts less moisure. I prefer wet brine cuz I like moist breast meat. If you like the thigh/drum, it probably doesn't matter.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Golfergirl
    Options
     This is our first year to cook turkey on the egg.  We plan to brine first, but (dumb question) are we supposed to rinse the brine off before cooking?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Dry brine will help flavor your bird. It also extracts moisture.  Wet brine flavors your bird, and extracts less moisure. I prefer wet brine cuz I like moist breast meat. If you like the thigh/drum, it probably doesn't matter.
    Dry brining is still going to result in a turkey that tastes more moist than one that isn't brined. The salt helps loosen the muscle fibers up, so they don't contract as much during the cook.  That contraction is what ends up giving you a dry turkey.

Wet brining gives you a more moist bird, for sure, but it's a mess and mostly what you get is a watery bird.  But, to each his own.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Dry brining is still going to result in a turkey that tastes more moist than one that isn't brined. The salt helps loosen the muscle fibers up, so they don't contract as much during the cook.  That contraction is what ends up giving you a dry turkey.

Wet brining gives you a more moist bird, for sure, but it's a mess and mostly what you get is a watery bird.  But, to each his own.
    I'm currently watering down two birds for my wife's holiday party on Thursday.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....