Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF brisket

Options
Anyone order up today?
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Yupppppppppppppp!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Anyone order up today?
    No sir, not yet. I won't order until this job ends and I'm back home. But then it's on. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got my order in and added a couple packs of hotdogs to go with my KG brisket, 14-17. Having some friends up from Texas. We all were going to see The Who, but that show got cancelled, so I got folk to feed, and we all LOVE brisket. Then after we clear the house we are heading to Florida for a while, at least most of the rest of December. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Anyone order up today?
    One of the Thunder Gods from the forum sent me this to try. It's going on a SRF Gold as a test as soon as I get home. I have been dying to try it. Says the taste is smooth and mellow. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BIll-W221
    Options
    Ordered a pair, have them arriving later next week :)
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SGH said:
    YukonRon said:
    Anyone order up today?
    One of the Thunder Gods from the forum sent me this to try. It's going on a SRF Gold as a test as soon as I get home. I have been dying to try it. Says the taste is smooth and mellow. 

I have had that on Prime Rib. Killer, just absolutely killer. A client I have in Northern California turned me on to that. Surprising flavor.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have had that on Prime Rib. Killer, just absolutely killer. A client I have in Northern California turned me on to that. Surprising flavor.
    I'm glad that you give it a thumbs up as well. My friend swears by it. It won't be long and I will sure put it to the test. 

Status- Standing by.

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    SRF has brisket on sale! I received an email today. !!/!!/!%
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I had one in the cart, but didn't pull the trigger. Thinking about a holiday celebration for opening the kitchen up again. So damn close....
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I got my order in and added a couple packs of hotdogs to go with my KG brisket, 14-17. Having some friends up from Texas. We all were going to see The Who, but that show got cancelled, so I got folk to feed, and we all LOVE brisket. Then after we clear the house we are heading to Florida for a while, at least most of the rest of December. 
    Damn.  Forgot the hot dogs.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had the misfortune of eating a hotdog sandwich from St Rose truck stop today.  
    Options
    I had the misfortune of eating a hotdog sandwich from St Rose truck stop today.  
    Sandwich or Hotdog, either way, I  betting they will be better than anything I have had that would fall within the classification of a hotdog sandwich. Should be good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lets just say I played some Angry Birds, afterwards.
    Options
    That bad, huh?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Lets just say I played some Angry Birds, afterwards.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm looking forward to your brisky post Ron!!  Enjoy those hotdog sammies!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Got mine on order also. Should arrive next week. Not sure when we'll cook it though, but very happy it's on the way.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm looking forward to your brisky post Ron!!  Enjoy those hotdog sammies!
    Will do. My BIL chef/tug boat captain is coming up from NOLA, too. 3 things that guy can do, park a ship, cook anything better than anyone ( his story, and he is sticking with it ) and consume fine scotch in mass quantities heretofore unrivaled by mortal men. Should be fun.
    I keep my attorney  on speed dial, when this dude comes to Louisville.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Popped my SRF cherry yesterday and it will arrive today.  Can't decide whether to keep this as a family only treat or whether to share it with friends for a special holiday celebration...
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Glad to hear so many folks are giving us a shot, that's why we have sales like this!  Couple of thoughts for you all (especially if you haven't cooked SRF before):  
    - Trimming a brisket is a personal preference, but our general approach is to remove the hard fat and up to about 1/4 of the fat cap
    - I would suggest not separating the flat and the point to cook
    - Many people believe our briskets cook faster...and sometimes skip the stall altogether.  Once it hits 180 IT, start probing for tenderness.  You'll know it's done when the probe slides in like a knife in hot butter.  The temp of the brisket could be anywhere from 185-210 when it hits this spot.  Go by the probe, not the temp.

My only other piece of advice is to make burnt ends, then hide them from everyone else in the house.  Known around here as "meat candy" or "carnivore crack", they're just too good to share.  

If you have any issues, you can always reach out to me directly and I'll get you in touch with the right folks to fix them.  All the best!  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I grabbed one of their black grade yesterday to toss into the deep freeze as I am down to my last one in reserve.  I cook the SRF for the Sunday after Thanksgiving feed.  Great to get off the post -turkey left-overs and back to good 'ol beef. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Thanks for the cooking tips @SRFShaneShane - it'd be criminal to overcook a piece of meat this nice, and I never would have thought to start probing at 185.

Given that possible lower temp for it being done, if a guy was planning to cook ala Franklin and wrap in 40# paper mid-cook, would you suggest doing so a bit lower than 165?

Thanks much.
  • oldmandawg
    Options
    Just ordered my first brisket from SRF. Only tried brisket once before and to be honest, it wasn't to good, to dry. Hope I don't screw this one up.
  • SRFShane
    Options
    Thanks for the cooking tips @SRFShaneShane - it'd be criminal to overcook a piece of meat this nice, and I never would have thought to start probing at 185.

Given that possible lower temp for it being done, if a guy was planning to cook ala Franklin and wrap in 40# paper mid-cook, would you suggest doing so a bit lower than 165?

Thanks much.

What to wrap in, when to wrap and if to wrap at all is of course a highly personal preference.  I think the thing to think about is - why are you wrapping?  If you're doing it in paper, you're likely wrapping in order to keep the crust of the brisket where you want it, while allowing the brisket to continue cooking normally (as opposed to foil, which is often used to speed up cooking and can moisten the bark because it keeps moisture in).  If that's the purpose of your wrap, then I would still wrap at the the same time...when the bark is where you want it.  Hope that helps!  
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SRFShane said:

Thanks much.

What to wrap in, when to wrap and if to wrap at all is of course a highly personal preference.  I think the thing to think about is - why are you wrapping?  If you're doing it in paper, you're likely wrapping in order to keep the crust of the brisket where you want it, while allowing the brisket to continue cooking normally (as opposed to foil, which is often used to speed up cooking and can moisten the bark because it keeps moisture in).  If that's the purpose of your wrap, then I would still wrap at the the same time...when the bark is where you want it.  Hope that helps!  
    Thank you so much for the information. I have folks coming in from Texas absolutely convinced the rest of America knows zero about brisket, and a chef from NOLA, to feed this to, so they have set the bar for my cook higher than Bob Marley, with a Kilo.
    anything you might add to the gold Wagyu would really be helpful. 
    I am not bad with brisket, still learning, but if it can turn out anything like my last, I will be happy, and so shall they.
    thanks again.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SRFShane
    Options
    @YukonRon  - I'm sure you'll wow them!  

As with any job, it all begins with the tools you're working with...and you're starting with a BGE and a SRF Gold Wagyu brisket, which are about the best tools you can use for this particular job.  

Same guidance for the gold - start checking for probe tender about 180, but don't tie yourself to any particular temp - "it's done when it's done" is my mantra.  Give yourself plenty of time, shoot for having it done even a couple of hours before you eat, they will easily keep that long wrapped in towels in a cooler.  

Your NOLA chef will most likely know SRF already and be impressed that you're using it.  And everyone will be amazed that you can cook a piece of meat low and slow for so long and still have it be so moist and juicy.  It's going to be fantastic.  
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Just pulled the trigger on my first SRF brisket. I just hope it wasn't a mistake. I might be spoiled from here on out. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    SGH said:
    YukonRon said:
    Anyone order up today?
    No sir, not yet. I won't order until this job ends and I'm back home. But then it's on. 
    @SGH, you can push delivery out to Dec. if need be. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SGH
    Options

I will offer this for what it's worth on wrapping. If you are using a stick burner, wrap when the particulate build up is to your liking. Don't even concern yourself with what the internal temp is. If you are not using a stick burner, disregard the above. If cooking on anything else, wrap when the brisket is the color that you want. This will help preserve the coveted "look" that we all love so much. Heck, if things are going good and you are able to maintain a real clean fire, don't wrap at all. If you have never wrapped and are totally unfamiliar with what to look for, wrap at the time proven 160 degrees. At 160 you usually will have laid down sufficient smoke, started developing a decent bark (and if using paper it will continue to develope) and by wrapping at this temp it will help push through the stall. Wrapping is determined usually by two things. What you want the end product to look like, a meteor or mahogany. The other is to control the smoke profile. This is why foil is still used by many folks. To totally stop the uptake of smoke at a given time. Folks that have smokers (wood fired) that run a little on the dirty side are actually better served with foil than paper, but that's a debate for another day. While pushing through the stall is one benefit of wrapping, few people actually use it for this this purpose. It's just a added bonus. It is used more for the reasons mentioned above. There is also the wrapping after the stall method, but again, it just really depends on your wants or particular needs. If you are cooking on a egg and using a SRF product, wrapping at 160 with paper will serve you well. As a matter of fact, 160 will actually work well if using paper or foil, cooking select, choice, prime or Wagyu. At the end of the day, wrapping is not a must. It is a aid to achieve a end result. On a efficient, clean burning pit, Wagyu Gold turns out just about perfect without wrapping. So the choice to wrap or not comes down to just a few things: The pit that you are using, the fuel source, how well the fire is maintained, and your desired color in the end. As always, please remember that I'm just one person offering his opinion on what has worked for me. There are many ways to reach a desired end. The above is just one of the many and what has worked well for me. Good luck my friend and may the Brisket Gods smile down upon you and keep you in their good grace. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @pescadorzih - If you truly like brisket and the enjoyment of the cook SRF is not a mistake.  Now, I don't live in the rarified gold grade atmosphere but the SRF brisket cook is an event I plan on and always look forward to.  I find I can routinely satisfy my brisket cravings quite well with prime grade from Costco but when it is time for a true banquet, then time for the SRF. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.