Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

45 Day Dry Aged Ribeye

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
On Sept 25th I put this 17.08lb ribeye in the fridge:

Today I got this 14.6lb out:

The chine bone had already been removed, so I just sliced between the bones:

The steaks varied between 1lb 10oz and 2lb 13oz. Here's tonight's 1lb 13oz pick on the small BGE coming up to temp. Seasoned with salt and pepper. The rest are in the freezer.

Around 118* I pulled and setup for direct.

After the sear resting:

Let it rise to 135* and then sliced and ate. No sliced pics, wife and kids were getting hungry, and to be honest, so was I. :smiley: Really nice deep beefy flavor.

I also sampled some of the raw shavings you can see in the second picture. That was really good, and I hope that wasn't a bad decision, but it was dried like jerky, so I figured I'd be fine.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother I wish I had a triple seal of approval to give this cook. Simply spectacular brother D. The Steak Gods are truly smiling down my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    That looks great !!! Do you trim much off after the aging ? I just ordered some bags yesterday, really looking forward to trying this.
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    I reaaaaalllllllly hope that fat old guy brings me some bags on the 25th!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    It looks great. I've never dry aged beef at home. The only dry aged steak I've cooked on the egg came from the store. The butcher cautioned me that dry aged beef cooks faster. Apparently I didn't believe him and I overcooked it.

It was still good.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2015
    Options
    DMW said:

That Thermapen should be reading 110 brother D ;) You know I'm just messing with you, a man likes what a man likes. Outstanding job my friend. That steak looks like a masterpiece. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    You win
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Looks good! I've been a dry ager for years now though I much prefer using the UMAi Dry bags.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Years here too. Even before some of the oldtimers. 
    If i wanted to take credit for doing it first on the forum, i'd have a good case. :)
    No bags here though. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Re trimming: I only trim the end off, as you did. Like the 'heel' of a loaf of bread.  I usually slice off just enough to expose the full cross section. 

Then i slice the raw stuff from the heel end, and eat that as carpaccio. 

I don't trimany of the rind, because it softens and fries and crisps up really nicely when you grill it. Becomes, for me, the best part 

it is jerky. One of the reasons jerky is air dried is to extend shelf life. And so when you let this dry, it also keeps it from any bacterial funk. It's just very dry when raw

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Years here too. Even before some of the oldtimers. 
    If i wanted to take credit for doing it first on the forum, i'd have a good case. :)
    No bags here though. 

Oh I would testify on your behalf, Jeff! You taught eggdom much about dry aging and yes I believe you lead the way. SWMBO just prefers that I use the bag. Your way or my way still knocks the socks off "grocery store red" steaks! It has always amazed me when people spend so much at "good steakhouses" when they can get the same tasty results at home. Granted the steakhouses use white linen tablecloths but those wait persons are also looking for 20 to 25% gratuity on top of that overpriced steak. A 12 to 18 pound sub-primal aged at home is far cheaper and personally more rewarding than ripping up a credit card receipt!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    All I can say is ....... WOW  :o
    Very nice.
    No bags? Even better!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    I need to give that a try.  Great job!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Outstanding at DMW!  Bravo!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Like x (7x10^5)^3
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thanks everyone. @Darby_Crenshaw I read as many of your prior posts as possible before jumping in. No bags needed, and just shave a bit of the crust off each end.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    out-frikkin-standing. Wish I lived closer to you... like next door.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    That is PRIME right there!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    That looks wonderful! @dmw

I'm thinking about doing another dry aged NY strip as a gift for my cousins wedding. The only problem is that he has a gasser and puts it away in winter. I'd be dragging it back out of the shed if I was given dry aged steaks as a gift. Actually I'd drag it back out and put it next to the curb with a free sign. Thinking about it I should just buy him a kettle grill!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Aged strips will pan sear in a way which might just make you flirt with the idea of not bothering to start the BGE (or digging out his gasser).  You can lightly coat them in oil (lightly!) and sear on the stove top (with the vent on).  

I wouldn't use aged beef for au poivre, but that's always goos too, if the grill isn't handy 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Another great cook thread @DMW .  Outstanding.
    Phoenix 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Great job. I also go no bag, and have recently been leaving the rind on, and think it really makes the steak pop. Will never trim again. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    It doesn't get any better than that. Nice job brother. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Beautiful @DMW!!!   Just beautiful!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Excellent!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• onthegreen
    Options
    Very interesting. Looks awesome. I was under the impression that its a bad idea to dry age my meat in a regular old fridge. A local butcher said most normal fridges temperature readings are off and the temps fluctuate quite a bit so it can be dangerous to try at home. I will have to spend some time with the search tool to look into trying this some time. Wonder if it smells up the fridge?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I wish we were neighbors... no homo though.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @onthegreen No, he's wrong about the temps.  The main disadvantages to a home refrigerator are 1) grossing out a significant other and 2) low humidity
    edited November 2015
    Options
    And the low humidity can an asset for some. Aged meat can (for some people) have an unexpected taste. Not gamey, but just nothing they are used to

if you age only a few weeks, you can avoid the pronounced flavors some don't care for at 45-60 days and beyond, while still gaining the condensed beef flavor that drying in a gome fridge more quickly affords

dry aging is merely aging PLUS drying, and it's fine to just do the drying for a bit if that's all yer after

And so in a drier home fridge, you can get a quicker return on the drying if that's your thing. You can even dry a week or so, not really agong much at all, but giving you the fantastic maillard browning that is a hallmark of dry aged beef

humidity is a concern for commercial aging because it allows longer aging with less weight loss. But that's just water in the end

for the home dry ager, the drier environment does help guard against mold. Mold occurs in commercial establishments sometimes, but it ain't no thang

when i first started this investigation, i bought my first steak from Julia Child's butcher. He spent a few minutes rubbing the mold off it. Mechanically, fwiw, not with water or anything

The dry environment of a home fridge isn't a quality problem until you hit around 60 days, and the meat sometimes tends to cleave off or shrink back along the lines of internal fat. Not very photogenic, and it's better probably for quality to avoid that. Maybe some rancidity due to the air getting in. There's always a touch of rancidity to be flirted with, it's actually part of the flavor profile of aged beef. But too much is bad voodo. Another good reason to use the beer fridge is less acquired odor and lessened rancidity. 

If you really really want to humidify the fridge (to achieve less water loss, i.e. More yield, but less condensed flavor), you can include an open container of water in the fridge. Some salt it, thinking it keeps it from going stale. But you can also just swap it oit for fresh every few/five-ish days